The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

View Poll Results: What range rules do you put up with? (Choose all that apply)
Must buy ammo from range 2 3.03%
All guns must be unloaded going to and/or from range 39 59.09%
Cannot use steel cased ammo 15 22.73%
Cannot use steel core (green tip) ammo 30 45.45%
No rapid fire 34 51.52%
Must use targets from the range 11 16.67%
Cannot keep own brass 4 6.06%
Cannot draw from holster 27 40.91%
Pay too much in dues/ fees 13 19.70%
Other (please specify) 9 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2016, 12:35 PM   #1
ATN082268

What range rules do you put up with?

What range rules do you put up with? Choose all that apply.
Old March 29, 2016, 12:49 PM   #2
NINEX19

Really, none.

This is why I only use my own private range and refuse to be locked in by a bunch of silly rules that end up costing me a bunch of money and limit my freedom for fun. I realize not everyone is in a situation to do this, but once you do, you never go back.

I did choose "steel core" since I really don't shoot any of that anyway.
Old March 29, 2016, 01:12 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Must buy ammo from range
All guns must be unloaded going to and/or from range
Cannot use steel cased ammo
Cannot use steel core (green tip) ammo
No rapid fire
Must use targets from the range
Cannot keep own brass
Cannot draw from holster
Pay too much in dues/ fees
Other (please specify)
Don't got any of that nonsense at the club where I shoot.

There're restrictions on what sort of targets can be used on the rifle ranges, and we cannot shoot in a way that might let bullets escape from the property.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 29, 2016, 01:21 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

The question doesn't really make a lot of sense. If you go to a range with posted rules, there is absolutely no reason not to follow them. You agree to do so as a condition to shoot there. If you don't like the rules and want to go somewhere else, go there instead. As an RO I don't permit anyone to violate the rules. If we didn't think they were good rules we wouldn't post them to begin with. Unless you own the range, you really have no reasonable option other than to express your opinion. At that point it still comes down to following the range rules or get kicked out and told not to come back. Doesn't seem very complicated to me.
Old March 29, 2016, 01:43 PM   #5
loknload

The Range / Gun Club I belong to all ranges are outdoors. The only rules are saftey rules, no automatic weapons and no tracer rounds!
That's it and I'm glad to oblige!
It's a great club and we have some very good ranges, I'm happy to be a member!
Old March 29, 2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Absolutely NONE! That is why I don't go to a Conservation Department "supervised" range a few miles away. I joined a private club about 15 miles away that have none of those rules. Basically, keep your targets in line with the backstop dirt berms so there's no ricochet s off tye ground. Don't shoot high up on the berm so shots don't go over it. Other than that, just more common sense "rules". Be courteous to other shooters, call for a cease fire, respect other shooters cease fire call.
But I am there most often alone, so it's all mine to check targets when ever I want.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 29, 2016, 02:10 PM   #7
weblance

I belong to a range that has a high end custom build rifle machine shop, and they are all about benchrest shooting. They do have 3 pistol ranges, but the rule that I dont care for is One Shot Every 5 Seconds. I suppose I could practice double taps, but I dont want to push my luck. Its a fantastic range, and close to my home. I dont want to lose my privileges.

Two other rules I can live with, but wish weren't on the list... No Automatic Weapons, and Paper Targets Only. I can understand...
Old March 29, 2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Maverick36

I shoot indoors and the only one that apply's is steel core which makes sense.
Its not "putting up with" because its always their range- their rules.
Old March 29, 2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Minorcan

Its their range if I want to shoot there I obey the rules or go elsewhere which I will do sometimes. But if I'm on their range I follow their rules. Better safe than sorry or even worse liable if an accident was to occur.
Old March 29, 2016, 02:48 PM   #10
GJSchulze

What is it with no rapid fire rules? I've heard of one shot every two seconds, but five seconds!?

Fortunately, my club participates in USPSA, IDPA, and ICORE so there are no silly rules limiting shooting speed.

So what is the purpose of that rule? BTW, there is a local range that limits you to no more than five rounds in a magazine, talk about inane, stupid rules.
Old March 29, 2016, 02:50 PM   #11
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick36
I shoot indoors and the only one that apply's is steel core which makes sense.
Its not "putting up with" because its always their range- their rules.
First, to be clear, I'm not stating or implying that someone shouldn't obey range rules. Someone always has a choice to go somewhere else or not fire at all but if there aren't any practical, better, alternatives, then you just have to "put up" with the range rules if you want to fire.
Old March 29, 2016, 04:17 PM   #12
Roughedge

My range is in my back yard so the only rules are mine.
Old March 29, 2016, 04:22 PM   #13
FITASC

Quote:
What is it with no rapid fire rules? I've heard of one shot every two seconds, but five seconds!?
At the indoor range I sometimes use, you should see all of the shots that go into the ceiling because folks shooting fast lose control. Same for steel core, no need for that in a 25 yard indoor place.
Outdoors is different, depending on locale.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 29, 2016, 05:13 PM   #14
Minorcan

I had a guy do a couple fast double taps and hit the steel target holder. Got splattered lead all over me but no injury. Lots o people are OK with exceeding their capabilities. As Harry Callahan said "A man's got to know his limitations>"
Old March 29, 2016, 05:31 PM   #15

None of those things apply to the ranges I attend.

One rule I do put up with is that at one club I shoot at, if you are shooting indoors, you arnt allowed to shoot heavy loads. So-called "magnum" loads.

I don't care much, but I do care a little bit.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old March 29, 2016, 05:50 PM   #16
1-DAB

none of the above. yay!
Old March 29, 2016, 05:52 PM   #17
turkeestalker

I know which range Cheapshooter is talking about. Took my oldest there on Christmas Eve with his new rifle last year, controlled environment and on the way to my parent's house for the holiday get together.
It is a very nice facility, but it is owned and operated by the MDC (Missouri Dept. of Conservation) so their range, their rules. There is another attended range nearer my home that is an MDC range, currently closed for renovations, but it's about the same. Nice facility, but their range and their rules.
No rapid fire (3 seconds between shots), use only their paper targets (though 'shoot-n-see' are allowed to be pasted over them), no drawing from holsters, firearms unloaded while entering and leaving, and so on.
I don't really think that their rules are too terribly oppressive, honestly with the 'variety' of people using the MDC ranges, the rules in place could be considered a little too lax! I've wound up getting a little nervous about some individuals and their practices in the past and left in order to avoid the situation.
I much prefer the unattented MDC ranges around and shoot at those far more often, but they're a bit further away and more of an issue to get to. I have on more occasions chosen to leave the unattended ranges to avoid situations or individuals that would not have been an issue at one of the attended ranges because of the rules.
The rules are there for a reason and not all bad...though I would like to learn more about the one you're currently using Cheapshooter!
Old March 29, 2016, 06:48 PM   #18
darkgael

Or shut upy

"Put up" implies that a shooter is limited and somehow inconvenienced. I don't see it that way. The only "bad" rules are those which allow an unsafe situation to develop.
I run an indoor range at a private club in NYC. Rules: eye and ear protection. Five rounds only in revolver or semi-auto. Pick up your brass and take it with you or discard in our recycling barrel. Paper targets only. Use ours at a dime per or bring your own. No smoking on the range. No cf rifles.
I could not vote because there was no option to describe "none apply".

Last edited by darkgael; March 29, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old March 29, 2016, 07:18 PM   #19
dahermit

What has irked me for years is that some of the ranges built and operated with Pittman-Robertson funds in Michigan (specific example, the range just East of Michigan Center, MI), were a shooter is only allowed to place one (yes you read that correctly), in his gun at a time. Luckily I had alternatives to that range and now and since 2000, have my own property and range.
Old March 29, 2016, 07:25 PM   #20
stagpanther

There are really ranges that don't allow you to keep your spent brass? I would have them pay me to shoot there.
Old March 29, 2016, 07:40 PM   #21
jonnyc

I would not belong to or even shoot at any range that had rules like:
-Must buy ammo from range (WTH!!!)
-All guns must be unloaded going to and/or from range (Hey, I have CC Permit!)
-No rapid fire
-Must use targets from the range
-Cannot keep own brass (WTH!!!)
Old March 29, 2016, 07:45 PM   #22
Ozzieman

A range that I used to shoot at had few rules and it was a great indoor range.
Then a new owner took over and things changed.
First you had to buy targets there, then came no lead bullets (Makes too much smoke and damages the air filter system in the range). Then it went to no reloads because they are dangerous (that was when I quit going there). Then because some people were still bringing in reloads you had to buy the ammo you shot there. Then he raised his yearly dues by a large amount.
He went out of business soon after that.
Let’s face it, anger a bunch of shooters, payback is a,,,,, not a pleasant thing
The new owner dropped all that crap and what rules he had were reasonable and necessary.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 29, 2016, 08:22 PM   #23
Guv

I never go to a range as I am fortunate to have my own property and small shooting range. But, I did vote for the " not being able to keep my own brass". That's BS, it's your brass, you paid for it.
Actually, my only rule is don't shoot the steers, their our pets!
Old March 29, 2016, 09:50 PM   #24
euclid

I can't believe no rapid fire has received the most votes. What about practicing double taps and basic self defense drills? Sounds like a Fudd would approve of that but not a serious shooter.
Old March 29, 2016, 11:06 PM   #25
armoredman

"Other" - No exploding targets", due to constant fire risk in the desert. That's about it. We have full auto there, and brass on the ground is how I get half my supply. The UNSPOKEN rules is Thous Shalt Not Brass Rat Whilst The Shooter Is Still Shooting...
The only other rules are the regular Four Rules, and we enforce it amongst ourselves. If someone shows up who is unsafe, the rest of us try to correct it, and if we fail, we leave.
Closed Thread