The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 30, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Firepower!

Taurus Tracker .357 Magnum

Hi
I am back with yet another Taurus question. This time it is on the Tracker series in .357. I would like to hear from those of you who have used this gun to tell me about your experience.

I need not to hear from those who are going to make generalized references to Taurus by simply stating negatives. I have had problems with Taurus and I am not particularly a fan of Taurus. However, I need to hear objective views on the Taurus Tracker series.

Thanks.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
roaddog28

I had a Taurus Tracker 4 inch barrel. I bought it because of the recomendation from the salesman. He was a ex officer. I came in to buy a Ruger GP100 but he suggested the Tracker because the porting and the size and weight of the revolver. After handling the revolver I agreed and bought the Tracker. When I picked up the revolver I took it to the range the next day. I took my Smith and Wesson 686 to shoot too. The Tracker worked well except the casings were sticking after firing the revolver everytime. The rounds were a pain to get out. I was shooting 357 158g reloads. Its the only ammo availiable at the range. After I was done, I went back to gun store and complained to the salesman. He went and got their gunsmith. The gunsmith looked at the revolver and stated the cylinder bores looked a little rough. But he wanted to at least try some factory ammo before he sent the gun back to Taurus. I went back to the range and fired all seven rounds. Again the casings were sticking so bad I had to pry one out with a knife. So I went back to the gun store. I gave the gun to my gunsmith with the cases still in the cylinder. He boxed the gun up and overnighted the gun to Taurus.
Weeks and weeks went by without any word or indication when Taurus would repair the revolver. After two months I finally went by to the gunstore and expressed how unhappy I was. The owner of the shop and the gunsmith decided to give me credit on the revolver. I then bought a nice Smith and Wesson 28-2 from them.
Long story short, I was in my gunstore again looking for ammo and the gunsmith said the Tracker had finally arrived back to their store four weeks after I traded it back. He also stated the casings are still sticking after the gun is fired. I can not recommend Taurus revolvers to anyone. Its better to pay a little more and buy a Ruger or Smith revolver.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Firepower!

Thats just too bad. I had similar problems with my Rossi in .22lr. I for some resson thought Tracker might be better made of the bunch.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:59 AM   #4
roaddog28

Firepower, if you really want a fine revolver new buy Ruger GP100 in whatever size barrel you want. The GP100 is the best new SA/DA revolver out there for the money.

Good luck,
roaddog
Old October 30, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
rodwhaincamo

I own a Tracker in 44 Mag. I've only put about 400 rds or so through it to date, and the only problem I have had was with Blazer 44 Spl cases catching on the blast shield. No problems with the mags. I love the medium frame size and the weight. Very handy. The trigger isn't great, but not that bad. I'm happy with mine so far. I can't seem to get a straight answer on using the heavier mag loads. Their manual claims not to use a 240 grn bullet beyond 1400 fps. I called and they said any SAMMI loads will be fine. It was pointed out that the forcing cone is rather thin and so they wouldn't suggest using them much. I'm still struggling with the standard mag loads, but I want to eventually use them (1200 ft/lbs vs 1000 ft/lbs for the standard mags). I bought mine as hog defense.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Jaholibop

I have put a few hundred .38's through my 4" and 100 .357 rounds through it without a single problem. I also have the 6" .22 and that has eaten a couple of thousand rounds.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7
azredhawk44

I've picked one up at a gunstore prior to my jaundice against Taurus, when I was on a significantly more constrained budget.

I was shopping for my first revolver at that time, and I wanted a lightweight .357 backpacker's companion.

I hated the feel of the Taurus due to the "ribber" grips. They are positioned to allow your middle finger knuckle to get right back behind the trigger guard. I've shot other guns similar to that and I immediately dislike a gun that allows for that: It beats the heck out of your knuckles with the recoil.

A Smith or a Ruger with that issue can have the grips replaced or a Tyler T-grip installed. But... smith and ruger DA revolvers do not have that problem (except the Redhawk, with the wood cowboy style grip)

A Taurus simply doesn't have the aftermarket grip support that the other brands enjoy. Also, the cost differential of a Taurus + an aftermarket grip = the cost of a Ruger without the problem.

So, I bought an SP101 with 3" barrel instead (I think this was in 2002?), and it has been my only .357 revolver up until this week and my acquisition of a K-frame model 65.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Firepower!

Its disappointing to hear all this when I thought Tracker might be a decent gun.
Old October 31, 2009, 12:18 AM   #9
eddiejoe333

I've got a Taurus Tracker 7-shot .357 right now, and it is the second revolver I've had from them, and the fourth weapon total from Taurus. I have no complaints. I've put a couple hundred rounds of full power .357 magnum and .38 special through it, and I have had no problems, no FTF's, no FTE's. It is accurate enough at my regular shooting distance of about 10 yards. It would be more accurate if I practiced more often!
Old October 31, 2009, 01:17 AM   #10
ActivShootr

I have owned two Trackers. The 4" ported .357 was very light and easy to carry even with 7 rounds. It never had any problems but the action was gritty and I sold it to get something else.

I should be beaten for selling the 3" .41 mag.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:32 AM   #11
JKump

I can't complain. My Tracker 357 mag has been good to me. I have fired over 1000 38 rounds thru it and some wear around 500 357 rounds also. I only had a couple of "hanging" shells and they where with reloads giving to me. Heck some of these did not want to go into the gun.
Mine has been accurate enough, I have taking one little button buck at about 25 yards. The buck was facing me quatering a little. the bullet went into the chest, hit the far shoulder blade, travelled down and out the leg, breaking it. DRT. At the range I am able to put 7 shots on a paper plate at 35 yards with out much of a problem.
So I can't complain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture015.jpg (132.7 KB, 147 views)

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old October 31, 2009, 10:12 AM   #12
roaddog28

My complaint with Taurus is not the Tracker 627 I had. My complaint is the service and lack of concern from Taurus. They just don't seem to care about service after the sale. Thank god I had a good gun store and gunsmith. They took care of me when Taurus word not. I feel bad for the gun store because they have a revolver that Taurus can't seem to repair. I imagine the gunsmith will repair the revolver and the store will sell it used. The store probably lost money on the transaction just because of Taurus. If I owned a gun store I would not handle Taurus because of their customer service.

roaddog28
Old October 31, 2009, 03:01 PM   #13
katana8869

My Tracker 627 4" has been a great revolver. It is right on par with my GP100 and my S&W model 19 accuracy wise. I have over 1500 rounds through it with no trouble whatsoever. The trigger and action on mine is as smooth as any revolver that I own (and I have several).

Do yourself a favor and search post for those that you see blatantly bashing the Taurus guns here and in other threads found in this forum. You will see a well established pattern for most of them.

I am up to 5 different Taurus guns now. My only issue with them was when I ignored the warning against dry firing that is written in the manual of my 85UL and broke the firing pin. My fault, not the gun's.

While Taurus may not be the top of the line, they are excellent buys and in my experience, reliable weapons. I probably have over 5000 rounds between all of my Taurus guns and I don't have a single malfuntion to report. Even my 85 would fire after the firing pin broke. I just had to point it up and give it a shake between shots to make the pin fall back down into the firing pin port. (I was shooting it on my property, no neighbors and by myself at the time. Everybody keep their panties unwadded.)

Every manufactuer has put out a lemon and every brand has both fanboys and detractors. I have had some very expensive lemons in my day and some very inexpensive gems.

Last edited by katana8869; October 31, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:16 AM   #14
ma5328

Taurus Tracker .357 6.5"

I have to agree with most of you all that the Taurus is not of the same caliber (sorry about the pun) as a S&W, Colt or maybe a Ruger.

That being said, I love my Tracker and my Ultra Lite .38 Snubbie. The action is not as smooth as my S&W M27 nor the Colt Python but for the price it can't be beat.
The shell casings sticking too was a problem but an electric drill, jewelers rouge and a gun cleaning mop smoothed the cylinder holes very nicely. Also, an India Stone and some polishing paper to the internal trigger mechanism (action) removed tooling marks and helped it out considerably. Still not as smooth as the S&W but it's getting there and it is a pleasure to shoot. So far no FTF's. Accuracy is not a problem.

Expect to do alittle work for the lower price but the quality of the material is fine.

Over all I am pleased.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:21 AM   #15
pesta2

I had a .41 Mag Taurus tracker, went back to Taurus with a cylinder that would lock up.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Colorado Redneck

I owned Tracker in 357 for a couple of years. shot maybe a thousand rounds through it. It shot well, never had a problem. Never had a misfire. Was relatively accurate. Felt good to handle and shoot. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus.

I traded it on a rifle because hunting with my son became a realtiy and he didn't have a long gun.
Old July 3, 2010, 01:29 AM   #18
ksblazer

I've had good luck with Taurus revolvers. My dad purchased a Taurus mod 69 .357 and I liked it. So when I turned 21 I purchased a Taurus mod 669 and never had a problem with it. After that I purchased a used Taurus Mod 85 from an auction site that was in okay condition and have never had an issue with it. The last revolver I purchased was a snubby Taurus .44 tracker. I shoot it just as well as I shoot any other snubby and I really like the mushroom grips.

So far from my experiences. I would give the Taurus revolvers a thumbs up.
Old July 4, 2010, 03:28 AM   #19
mharveyww1

Mine's a favorite!

I bought the 4" TRACKER after test-firing one and being impressed with the recoil reduction engendered by the barrel porting and the 'ribber' grips.
The combination allows rapid, on-target, followup shots.

It now has well over 500 trouble-free (and highly accurate) rounds through it.

I like the Taurus SO well that I've sold my S&W Model 60 (5" barrel).

Mike
Old July 4, 2010, 09:23 AM   #20
WillieB

ditto roaddog

Gotta agree with Roaddog28. If you are looking at new .357's the GP100 is the top of the heap.
Old July 4, 2010, 03:23 PM   #21
old bear

I've owned a Taurus 617, the 2" seven shot tracker, a year now. Fired 1,000 rounds of 38 special +P, +P+, and .357 magnum through it without a single problem. I have been very pleased with it. From the current posts it appears that Taurus is starting to clean up its' act in regard to the quality of the product that is leaving the factory. It does appear that their customer service warranty dept. is still lacking, this may be due in part to being overloaded with older weapons sent in for repair.

As I am at a point where I've understand that life is to short to worry about having to deal with sub standard product or services. So I don't believe that I would purchase another Taurus product.

Have a safe 4th all.
Old July 4, 2010, 04:06 PM   #22
roaddog28

Quote:
Let's here from those and right from the source for those who own 627s. 11pages of links with positive 627 use can be broought forth if needed. This goes back to 2007 if needed. This is for the .357 magnum model. I can bring the other calibers links as well if needed.
I am well of award of most the threads you posted. I was a member of the Taurus forum too. Maybe I still am. The Tracker 627 is a good revolver. I did not downgrade the revolver. I had a problem with the new Tracker I bought and Taurus did not fix the problem. Taurus service in my opinion just does not care. Taurus has some great ideas and features in their guns. There downfall is their service. If I ever buy a Taurus again I will have my gun smith work on the gun if it needs service. At least I know the revolver will get fix.

Regards,
roaddog28
Old July 4, 2010, 04:24 PM   #23
Qwiks draw

The OP who started this thread is a notorius Taurus basher so thus my repsonse. I can go into the archives here and prove that.
Old July 4, 2010, 09:47 PM   #24
Colorado Redneck

So evidently this was an attempt to start a forum brawl? Didn't work too well. We all have opinions based on our reality. Like I said, I had a Tracker and liked it fine. I also had a snubbie Taurus that went to my daughter for self defense. I would not have let her take the gun if there was a solitary doubt in my mind about the thing being reliable. I put a couple thousand rounds thru it and she has shot it quite a bit.

This issue seems to be like the old fight that used to go forever over Jap cars. Just a preference based reason to argue. If you feel like Taurus guns aren't good enough for you, don't buy'em.

Tags
.357 magnum , taurus , tracker