The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 11, 2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Mattj4867

450 Bushmaster buffer spring

Hi all, recently acquired a bear creek Arsenal 450 bushmaster upper with the 18” barrel. I think I am going to get a complete psa lower and was wondering if I need to change out the buffer spring on it because of the increase of recoil. I will be shooting mostly 250gr ammo through it. Also where can I find decent magazines for it. Any suggestions thanks!

Last edited by Mattj4867; December 11, 2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Mobuck

AHHH, the "buffer spring" really has little effect on nor is affected by "recoil".
I don't have (nor do I expect to have)any of the big bore AR's but barring influences specific to those heavier recoiling calibers, buffer springs only provide/direct bolt movement.
The forces of recoil are already in motion by the time the bolt starts to move. As long as the buffer isn't hammering into the end of the buffer tube, the spring is doing all it can do.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:15 AM   #3
10-96

Just to add to what Mobuck said- Remember, there's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the size of the gas port holes in different calibered barrels. Too little of a hole= Short strokes. Too much of a hole= mucho hammering. Try it first, and look at where your empties are landing. It may be fine, or you may have to look at an adjustable gas block, or a heavier buffer.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:24 AM   #4
stagpanther

My 458 socom runs off of standard buffer components I believe. Off the top of my head I don't believe either the bushie or socom run at pressures much over 30K psi +/-. If reducing the kick is your goal your best bet is probably getting a good brake, or simply make the gun heavier. My gun is a pretty lightweight carbine for woods hunting--so it does thump a bit when I let loose a 325 gr dinosaur-dropper.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:47 AM   #5
44caliberkid

Start with the standard buffer and spring and see how it goes. Until you have an up and runnng weapon, there is no way to tell if you have problems or not. Then you can diagnose fixes, if any are needed.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:52 AM   #6
stagpanther

As has been said--doing business with Tromix is a sure-fire way to get set up right with these big bores.
Old December 12, 2018, 05:41 PM   #7
sevt_chevelle

You could get an A5 buffer system, the extension tube is longer then a carbine tube. The A5 IMO smooths out the recoil making it feel like less recoil. I've swapped all my ARs to an A5 from BCM. I built a lower to match my existing Colt 6920 and swapped them around, the difference was night and day between the carbine tube lower and the A5 lower.

Lancer mags are very popular with 450 shooters, I can get 13 rounds in my 30 round mags.
Old December 12, 2018, 05:44 PM   #8
sevt_chevelle

Double post
Old December 12, 2018, 07:14 PM   #9
Rembrandt

450 magazines are hit and miss....I'm no fan of the Bushmaster brand, the cupped out portion of their followers are tapered and too narrow for a round to be cradled in it.

Best out there is the Lancer brand mags with Tromix followers.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:21 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Best out there is the Lancer brand mags with Tromix followers.
That's what I run in my 458 socom--the combo functions flawlessly.
Old December 13, 2018, 12:38 AM   #11
Mattj4867

Thank you everyone for the info. Will put it to good use
Old December 13, 2018, 10:03 PM   #12
Mattj4867

Well, I ordered the lancer 10rd mag. I’ve read that some people are getting decent reliability without making the modification with the tromix. Anyone on here got any experience? The Tromix followers are very expensive too. $16 plus $12 shipping is ridiculous. While the thread is still going, I got another question. Do y’all think 45acp full metal jackets or hollow points will cycle well in an AR?
Old December 14, 2018, 02:19 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
Well, I ordered the lancer 10rd mag. I’ve read that some people are getting decent reliability without making the modification with the tromix. Anyone on here got any experience? The Tromix followers are very expensive too. $16 plus $12 shipping is ridiculous.
expensive is relative--I've run my magazines with a wide variety of loads and the lancer/tromix mag has never once failed to reliably cycle. As I recall I bought a 3-pack of followers so the cost was spread out a bit. The majority of magazine followers and springs are pretty mediocre in my experience--even some of the top-priced top-reputation ones can have tilt/feed issues. I'd gladly pay the extra money for a mag with better reliability.
Old December 14, 2018, 07:56 AM   #14
Rembrandt

10 round Lancer with a Tromix follower will give you a 4 round capacity magazine. They are definitely worth it. I have also put Tromix followers in 30 round metal GI mags, work well but stick out too far for my liking.
Old December 14, 2018, 08:07 AM   #15
9x19

In my .450BM I use Brownell's 20 round mags with a replacement follower from these folks (mags hold 7 rounds):

http://www.chambertactical.com/produ...-follower-new/