The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 29, 2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Hoffmeister

Cheapest AR10

Hey this is my very first post and the number one reason i joined (also cause yal seem to be very knowledgeable). So i have an AR15 and nail targets out to 600 yards thats the max length of my range, but i have become fascinated by the lengthier shots. So i want something that has the fire power to hunt with and shoot at greater distances but it needs to be affordable and semiautomatic because bolts are great but semiautomatic is the future. I have decided to go with the AR10 7.62x51/308 problem is my wife gets mad when i spend a bunch on guns and lets be honest no one is ever happy about spending a fortune so im looking for the cheapest AR10 with atleast 18” barrel i can find the cheapest ive found so far is like $750 a little out of my comfort zone with price. Has anyone purchased/built one for cheaper? If so please post info and if comfortable the price. Thanks
Old December 1, 2018, 02:09 AM   #2
2ndtimer

I am awaiting delivery of a complete upper and complete lower from Palmetto State Armory for a total delivered price of $540.00. I happen to have a flip up rear sight on hand and just need to add a P-Mag or two ($20 each) and will be ready to go.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450202.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516445344.html
The lower I ordered is currently out of stock, the link is for the cheapest one currently in stock. The upper is the one I ordered.
Hope this is useful.
Old December 1, 2018, 02:32 AM   #3
n4aof

If you have an honest LGS, they can easily contact one of their suppliers or manufacturers and bring you in any of several AR10 rifles under or around the $600 point.

Del-Ton is one example of an economically priced line of good AR10 rifles.
Old December 1, 2018, 02:38 AM   #4
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer View Post
I am awaiting delivery of a complete upper and complete lower from Palmetto State Armory for a total delivered price of $540.00. I happen to have a flip up rear sight on hand and just need to add a P-Mag or two ($20 each) and will be ready to go.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450202.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516445344.html
The lower I ordered is currently out of stock, the link is for the cheapest one currently in stock. The upper is the one I ordered.
Hope this is useful.
I'm not criticizing your choice, but if I were looking for an AR10 for 'long range' shooting rather than just hunting, I'd pick a longer barrel and free float handguard -- such as PSA's Gen2 PA-10 20" Rifle Length .308 WIN 1:10 Stainless 15" Lightweight M-Lok Upper w/ BCG & CH
Old December 1, 2018, 05:01 AM   #5
44caliberkid

Have you held one in a store, carried it around a little? I've done two 308 size AR's, a 7.62 and a 6.5 Creedmore, and for hunting they are just too dang heavy. If I was in a fortified position, covering a specific field of fire, and could rest the gun most of the time, except for when in action, they would be fine. But I would hate to lug one around in the woods or have to get it up quick for fast shots at game. They are strictly bench or bipod target guns for me. I'm done with the 308 AR platform till someone shrinks it down. I probably have $1000 in each one, so can't help you with price.
Old December 1, 2018, 07:21 AM   #6
cptjack

IMO a model 70 is more cool and most accurate. not a black gun fan ,
Old December 3, 2018, 10:21 AM   #7
hagar

PSA is probably your best option. I have a .308 AR but have not shot it much, but it seems to do well.

But honestly, if I was to pick a rifle for long range shooting/hunting, I would go with a 7mm Remington bolt action and shoot the 162 grain bullets.
Old December 4, 2018, 02:47 AM   #8
2ndtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4aof View Post
I'm not criticizing your choice, but if I were looking for an AR10 for 'long range' shooting rather than just hunting, I'd pick a longer barrel and free float handguard -- such as PSA's Gen2 PA-10 20" Rifle Length .308 WIN 1:10 Stainless 15" Lightweight M-Lok Upper w/ BCG & CH
Well, he did say he was looking for a low priced AR-10, and the M-Lok upper is $100 more than the one I ordered, so I thought he might like to see what was available at a low cost option. I am curious to see how the "cheap" one shoots.
Old December 4, 2018, 08:09 AM   #9
Mobuck

AR 10's are heavy vs a common AR 15.
Price wise, you need to watch PSA for the best sales. Last December my very cooperative LGS went out of business. Upon hearing the news, I spent big $$ on lowers so I didn't have to deal with driving 40 miles to pay another dealer 4X the transfer cost.
One of my purchases was a complete AR 10 lower and it seems to be decent quality. Due to some health issues, I haven't shot it yet but I have a .308 and 6.5C upper (both PSA--stick with known to be compatible parts)waiting for testing.

Oh yeah, pricing. IIRC Total sale price with free shipping on lower and both uppers=$850+/-
Old December 4, 2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Road_Clam

O/P if I could make a couple suggestions. I shoot 600 yds weekly, and I shoot 600 yds with a 20" AR-15 prone with a sling. If "cheap" is a primary concern I suggest you shy away from the 7.62. Semi-autos are hungry rifles, especially if you enjoy mag dump blasting. A 7.62 semi will eat up your money VERY quick. I also have an M1A which is super fun to shoot but even with my handloading it gets expensive. I think a 20" or 24" AR would be a good fit and less money, AND less money to shoot. Be realistic about your most frequent anticipated shooting distances. Just my .02