The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2021, 01:01 PM   #26
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
If you are referring to go/no-go gauges as "chamber checkers",
Then no I have never used them!

I do make a dummy and determine/record
the maximum cartridge over all length for each particular bullet I reload.
Kinda like the old builder's saying "measure twice - cut once".
I think of them a a go/no go gauge. Drop your load round in, if it fits, its a go, if it does not its a no go. they are listed as case gauges

Link

https://www.egwguns.com/case-gauge-a...r-9-mm-50-hole

{EDIT to remove the copyrighted material. The link is OK, but no hot-linked photos or lengthy text copy without permission from the owner. See the board policy on posting copyrighted materials.}
Old January 18, 2021, 01:12 PM   #27
USSR

Quote:
I think of them a a go/no go gauge.
The problem with that is, there are actual Go and No Go Gauges that are an entirely different animal.

Don
Old January 18, 2021, 01:19 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
The problem with that is, there are actual Go and No Go Gauges that are an entirely different animal.

Don
there are go/nogo gauges for lots and lots of things. if it fits in and drops out its a go, if it does not fit, or does not drop out, its a no-go..... thats pretty much the definition of a go/no go gauge last I checked....
Old January 18, 2021, 01:43 PM   #29
USSR

Shadow,

Google Go and No Go gauges, and you will get gauges that are designed to set the headspace in rifles. So, you calling them that will be confusing to anyone knowledgeable about such gauges.

Don
Old January 18, 2021, 02:52 PM   #30
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
Shadow,

Google Go and No Go gauges, and you will get gauges that are designed to set the headspace in rifles. So, you calling them that will be confusing to anyone knowledgeable about such gauges.

Don
there are literally go/no-go gauges for everything under the sun, not just chamber gauges. To someone knowledgeable they will understand the concept, not just 1 specific item. Especially given the context of case/cartridge gauges being discussed...

Google go-no go gauges yourself.... here's the wikipedia definition with link to get you started.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go/no_go_gauge

Wikipedia Quote
Quote:
A go/no-go gauge refers to an inspection tool used to check a workpiece against its allowed tolerances via a go/no-go test. Its name is derived from two tests: the check involves the workpiece having to pass one test (go) and fail the other (no-go).
Old January 18, 2021, 03:05 PM   #31
Marco Califo

When you do not use the correct terminology, you impair communication with others, and your own learning.
There are appropriate, and inappropriate, uses of jargon. Even elementary questions should be phrased correctly, and precisely, to eliminate ignorance, and mis-understanding of technical information. You cannot learn what you believe you already know.
You really should Search reloading manuals about reloading questions, rather than Wikipedia as the inteneded audience and necessary background for reloading are NOT Wikipedia's forte. I am a HUGE FAN of WikiPedia, But the Reloading-specific version has not been published yet.
Go/No Go guages, related to firearms and ammuntion are a specific thing, not explained in Wikipedia.
Old January 18, 2021, 03:46 PM   #32
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
When you do not use the correct terminology, you impair communication with others, and your own learning.
There are appropriate, and inappropriate, uses of jargon. Even elementary questions should be phrased correctly, and precisely, to eliminate ignorance, and mis-understanding of technical information. You cannot learn what you believe you already know.
You really should Search reloading manuals about reloading questions, rather than Wikipedia as the inteneded audience and necessary background for reloading are NOT Wikipedia's forte. I am a HUGE FAN of WikiPedia, But the Reloading-specific version has not been published yet.
Go/No Go guages, related to firearms and ammuntion are a specific thing, not explained in Wikipedia.
Marco Califo

You hit the nail on the head "You cannot learn what you already know." look in the mirror my friend.

You and USSR are both in the same boat and both apparently lack the ability to read.

I made an analogy to a go/no go gauge.

I explained the use and why it was similar in relation to use.

What has been referred to are specifically "headspace go / no-go gauges" a specific type of gauge for a very specific use. How someone could think that there are ONLY go/no-go gauged for head space is beyond me. And how someone could tell me to go google it, not even knowing, and apparently not taking the time to look first themselves before posting, also baffles me.

In relation to using google and wikipedia. One cannot base ones entire life using only the reloading manuals to understand the world around us and cannot use only the reloading manuals very genre specific definitions.

A go / no-go gauge is a type of tool. Yes there are specific ones for firearms. But the principle of a go / no-go gauge is universal.

You need to understand the concept, not a very specific item within that subsection.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 18, 2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old January 18, 2021, 05:31 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo
The Wikipedia article explains what a Go/No Go gauge is. No single article can possibly cover every possible application of a Go/No Go gauge.

The most commonly thought of use for Go/No Go gauges in firearms is checking headspace, usually in rifles. That's not the only use for them. If you want to get picky about terminology, calling a checker for finished cartridges a "chamber checker" is about as wrong as can be, because they don't in any way check chambers of firearms. Likewise, they aren't really "case checkers." Several companies make case checkers, and I own a few. They are for checking cases before loading.

However, we should probably refer to these things as what they are: "cartridge checkers." And cartridge checkers are Go/No Go gauges for finished cartridges. They are made to the dimensions of a minimum SAAMI chamber. If the cartridge fits, it should work in any chamber meeting the SAAMI dimensional specs. If the cartridge goesn't fit, it might or might not not work in some firearms, but it's not loaded to SAAMI dimensional specs.
Jeepaholic
Old January 18, 2021, 05:36 PM   #34
USSR

Yes, it appears Marco Califo and I, and probably many others, are in the same boat; using the correct terminology in a specific field.

Don
Old January 18, 2021, 06:23 PM   #35
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
The Wikipedia article explains what a Go/No Go gauge is. No single article can possibly cover every possible application of a Go/No Go gauge.

The most commonly thought of use for Go/No Go gauges in firearms is checking headspace, usually in rifles. That's not the only use for them. If you want to get picky about terminology, calling a checker for finished cartridges a "chamber checker" is about as wrong as can be, because they don't in any way check chambers of firearms. Likewise, they aren't really "case checkers." Several companies make case checkers, and I own a few. They are for checking cases before loading.

However, we should probably refer to these things as what they are: "cartridge checkers." And cartridge checkers are Go/No Go gauges for finished cartridges. They are made to the dimensions of a minimum SAAMI chamber. If the cartridge fits, it should work in any chamber meeting the SAAMI dimensional specs. If the cartridge goesn't fit, it might or might not not work in some firearms, but it's not loaded to SAAMI dimensional specs.
For reference, the OP speficied chamber checker in the title of the post. I agree that Cartridge checkers would be a much more appropriate title, but I was easily able to understand what was meant by the OP and was trying to relate to the term used without beating him over the head on terminology.

Thanks you so much for the reasonable response Aguila Blanca.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 18, 2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old January 18, 2021, 06:42 PM   #36
Reloadron

When it comes to terminology I generally use the SAAMI Glossary of terminology. I like this because it affords uniformity in communication by those when referring to or working within the firearms industry.

That said while I never heard of a chamber checker and hearing that my first thought would be a headspace gauge only because of reference to the word chamber. Cartridges? No shortage of gauges out there for checking cartridge dimensions.

I normally resize and trim a few and make sure they chamber. If for example a .308 Winchester cartridge chambers in my .308 bolt gun it will chamber fine in my M1A, AR10 or any 308 rifle I have. Then too I normally load for a specific gun.

Ron
Old January 18, 2021, 06:50 PM   #37
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
When it comes to terminology I generally use the SAAMI Glossary of terminology. I like this because it affords uniformity in communication by those when referring to or working within the firearms industry.

That said while I never heard of a chamber checker and hearing that my first thought would be a headspace gauge only because of reference to the word chamber. Cartridges? No shortage of gauges out there for checking cartridge dimensions.

I normally resize and trim a few and make sure they chamber. If for example a .308 Winchester cartridge chambers in my .308 bolt gun it will chamber fine in my M1A, AR10 or any 308 rifle I have. Then too I normally load for a specific gun.

Ron
The OP posted in reloading, not gunsmithing, and stated that he was using it in lieu of the gun chamber plunk test in the original post..... Context has an effect on terminology.
Old January 18, 2021, 07:13 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

What we have here is a slight miscommunication, English is wonderful for that.

One person says "chamber checker" when they mean "cartridge checker" or gauge. Another says "cartridge checker" and says you may think of it as a go /no go gauge (because it works the same way pass/fail.

And others think it is being called a go/no-go gauge which it is not, in the industry accepted use of the term which refers to gauges for checking the firearm headspace, NOT the ammunition.

SO, Gentlemen, please, cool your jets, and figure out how we can all get on the same page with our terms, otherwise we cannot communicate effectively.

My standard for firearms and ammunition terminology is the definitions and glossaries in firearms and reloading manuals. Pretty sure that also what SAAMI uses, overall. But, people are people and some of them will use terms as they define them, and define them differently than the standard references.

One of my personal gripes is people posting how they are loading to the bullet ogive. They are and are not "loading to the ogive". They are loading to a specific point ON the ogive, as by standard definitions the ogive is the entire sloped or curved portion of the bullet. Ogive is NOT a specific point.

My point is, if you don't use terms the same way the rest of us do, if you don't use terms the same way the standard technical references to, we have a hard time knowing exactly what you are talking about.

And, if you refuse to use terms the same way we do, once you have learned their correct usage, that would make you a candidate for employment by MSN/NBC
Old January 18, 2021, 07:32 PM   #39
Shadow9mm

chamber checker would be the OP in the title and original post, I don't know why everyone keeps acting like it was my idea.. Still agreed that cartridge checker is what was originally being referenced, although the OP was off on his terminology, I still feel what he meant should have been clear enough based on his question.....

Back to the OP's question

I use a 2 in 1 gauge that checks the case and loaded cartridge. I check the cases after resizing, then the loaded ammo when finished. I do both as it is fired out of a couple different firearms I want to ensure reliability across my platforms and completing plunk tests with all ammo in multiple guns is not a viable option in my personal opinion.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 18, 2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old January 18, 2021, 07:34 PM   #40
Reloadron

OGIVE
The curved portion of a bullet forward of the bearing surface.

See, using a nice single definition gets everyone on the same channel. Now as 44 AMP points out the ogive of a bullet is not a single point. I used the SAAMI glossary to get that definition. I could likely also find it in any of several reloading manuals or manuals like The ABCs of Reloading.

Ron

Ron
Old January 18, 2021, 08:01 PM   #41
Reloadron

Shadow9mm:
"The OP posted in reloading, not gunsmithing, and stated that he was using it in lieu of the gun chamber plunk test in the original post..... Context has an effect on terminology".

Yes, and while reading through the entire post one can come away pretty much knowing what the thread starter is asking. My only point is it helps to use the correct terminology. Yes it is in reloading and not gunsmithing but that changes little as to using correct terminology and naming conventions. So because it is in reloading we should assume a "Chamber Checker" relates to really being a cartridge gauge? I would think the idea is also for people to learn correct terminology. This is why I suggested the SAAMI Glossary. All shooting enthusiast start somewhere.

Ron
Old January 18, 2021, 08:27 PM   #42
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Shadow9mm:
"The OP posted in reloading, not gunsmithing, and stated that he was using it in lieu of the gun chamber plunk test in the original post..... Context has an effect on terminology".

Yes, and while reading through the entire post one can come away pretty much knowing what the thread starter is asking. My only point is it helps to use the correct terminology. Yes it is in reloading and not gunsmithing but that changes little as to using correct terminology and naming conventions. So because it is in reloading we should assume a "Chamber Checker" relates to really being a cartridge gauge? I would think the idea is also for people to learn correct terminology. This is why I suggested the SAAMI Glossary. All shooting enthusiast start somewhere.

Ron
As you stated "while reading through the entire post one can come away pretty much knowing what the thread starter is asking." This is called context. You should not just pick up on one key word and start making assumptions about the intent of the statement is. The English language is very dependent on context and specific definitions of words can change depending on that context.

For example you cannot simply pluck out the word Ogive and determine one it talking about bullets. One could be talking about gothic architecture, graphs, or math.

44 AMP, We all have out pet peeves. I suspect they are generally meaning the point where the ogive meets the lands? I used a comparitor tool that measure a consistent point on the ogive, and use that in relation to the point where the ogive touches the lands to set seating depth relative to the lands where they meet to ogive. This would be the correct was to explain it right?

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 18, 2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old January 18, 2021, 09:36 PM   #43
Reloadron

I agree as to context. However, at the same time, Context—the words or ideas expressed before and after— provides us with the information we need to fully understand, evaluate or interpret the ideas in the passage. That does not mean we cal always make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Reading through the passage or in this case the post it's sort of obvious "Chamber Checker" was a real poor choice of words and while the passage which followed helped the passage actually pointed to a case or cartridge gauge. Chamber Checker just does not fit in any context. That being just how I see it.

These are a few examples of case gauges:

These are a few examples of chamber gauges:

Just because you or I can read the text surrounding a term and come away knowing what was meant does not make the term correct.

No I was obviously not an English major, my wife was so I have my grammar corrected on a regular basis. However, as an engineer I sat down in many meetings where communication skills were important so we all knew what each was talking about. Wasn't too good to use the wrong terminology.

Anyway, it's a wash so let's leave it at that. The thread starter had his question asked and answered and hopefully came away with a better understanding of terminology.

Ron
Old January 18, 2021, 11:59 PM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
44 AMP, We all have out pet peeves. I suspect they are generally meaning the point where the ogive meets the lands? I used a comparitor tool that measure a consistent point on the ogive, and use that in relation to the point where the ogive touches the lands to set seating depth relative to the lands where they meet to ogive. This would be the correct was to explain it right?
that explains what you are doing well enough, and yes, what I get from context is that they are referring to that point on the ogive where it contacts the rifling. The other thing usually in the context is that they seem to think that point is a fixed and constant point, when in fact it will be a different for every different bullet and rifle.

Of course, that might just be what I'm reading into it, its difficult to tell when terms aren't used correctly.
Old January 21, 2021, 10:26 PM   #45
Unclenick
Staff

Oh, it's different in just one rifle. In general, where the ogive comes off the bearing surface (the shoulder of the bullet), a tangent ogive will have such a shallow angle that it is smaller than the throat angle and touches the lands at the bore diameter first, then, as it moves forward, makes contact progressively further down until it meets the shoulder at the groove diameter. A secant ogive bullet, on the other hand, often has a steeper angle than the throat coming off the shoulder, and so tends to make contact at the groove diameter of the throat first, with contact moving progressively forward until the bore diameter finally meets the bullet. The former arrangement seems to center bullets better, which is why Berger's hybrid ogive was developed, giving tangent ogive centering, but secant ogive high ballistic coefficients.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 22, 2021, 03:12 PM   #46
rclark

What ever you call it, I've never had to use one. Since I started reloading in the early 80s, my reloads all just fell into the chambers and went bang. No use for one, rifle or revolver.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 23, 2021, 07:49 AM   #47
hodaka

Every round of .45, 9, 40, 30 carbine and .223. Love the EGW blocks. All it takes in one split or folded rim to ruin a stage. The more you shoot, the more you need to check.