The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Lohman446

One AR to rule them all :)

So I have come to the conclusion that I want an AR "pistol" and that I am going to buy one before November - way before like the next couple months would be a good time. I have also come to the conclusion that I am going to buy one because absent some political issues I'm not drastically interested in them. I think, at some point, I want to but a suppressor on it after going through the tax stamp process.

This has led me to believe I want a .300 Blackout

Now I don't need the best of the best. I'm not some zero drag operator - never will be. But I don't want junk.

Right now it seems the "leader in the clubhouse" is a used Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 that I can pick up in the $1200 range - likely a touch cheaper if I dicker a bit.

The other one that I see out there is the Springfield Saint Edge which I can buy new in the $850 range.

No I am not building one because its cheaper and then you can get the parts you want. I don't even know what parts I would want.

That said the two choices I have listed are listed as much because of lack of knowledge as anything else. The DDM is pushing the budget of what I want to spend on a non-purpose filled gun.

Edit: because of certain questions around this "pistol" I am extremely hesitant to build this myself. I want it to stay in factory configuration (except for optics) that was clearly manufactured, sold, and represented as a pistol. Yes I get that you can build the exact same things but I would to be able to point to a major manufacturer and say "they said pistol"

Last edited by Lohman446; January 27, 2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old January 27, 2020, 11:01 AM   #2
MarkCO

DD is a "cadillac" version and the DDM4V7 is a .223 rifle, not a pistol, so I assume you are looking at the DDM4V7P with the 10.3" barrel. Never touched a Springfield, but the specs look great. Both have 7075T6 receivers, which is better than 6061 and the rest of the coatings and materials are right there as well with a slight edge to the Saint. Not sure what the barrel length is on the Saint, I saw a 9" and that is fine, but I saw a 7" which is a little shorter than I would like. For $400 less and new I'd definitely go with the Saint. Just make sure you get pistol length gas block location on a 10" or less 300BO barrel.
Old January 27, 2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Consider a BCM upper on a lower build as well.

It will be the price of a Springfield, but the quality of a DD.
Old January 27, 2020, 07:12 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

What do you want out of it?
Old January 27, 2020, 07:45 PM   #5
smee78

Just get the Springfield and start saving for your suppressor. I went the cheap route and built a PSA 300Blk pistol and run it with my Octane 45 and sub sonic ammo, its a hoot.
Old January 28, 2020, 06:28 AM   #6
kymasabe

I just built one with a 12.5 inch B.A. barrel, I like it so much, just might ditch one of the other AR's that I wont be shooting anymore.
Old January 28, 2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Bozz10mm

My vote goes for the Springfield Edge in 300 BO. I bought a Ruger 10.5" pistol in .223/5.56. Then I decided I wanted a 300 BO pistol, so I bought a 7.5" complete upper from PSA. It's nice, but I think a 10" barrel would have been better. I recently bought a stripped lower and PSA pistol lower part kits with the SBA3 brace. Now I will have two complete pistols in different calibers.
Old January 29, 2020, 08:55 PM   #8
youngridge

If you have the funds, check out the MCX Virtus line up. I have the 5.56 and have been very happy with it as a piston pistol AR. Any of the above are great options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 29, 2020, 11:57 PM   #9
veprdude

The 10.5" usually run the carbine gas system- think 16" with chopped barrel. The 7.5" are modified and everything is shorter and I've heard there are more issues with getting them reliable.

I like the idea of a 7.5" but if it was problematic I wouldn't spend the time sorting it out.

My .02
Old January 30, 2020, 01:32 AM   #10
raimius

7-9in barrels are common for .300blk. I would recommend getting a braced-pistol lower and an upper you like. It's not hard to pop the two pins to "assemble" it, and it saves money.
Old January 31, 2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Ralph Allen

Don't believe the SA Edge comes in 300AAC Blackout. Would be the Victor.
Ralph
Old January 31, 2020, 07:51 PM   #12
PatientWolf

I’ve heard very good things about this company.

https://dsarms.com/c-935-ds-arms-zm4-ar-pistols.aspx

Both my brother and cousin have rifles from them.
Old February 2, 2020, 08:10 AM   #13
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
I’ve heard very good things about this company.

https://dsarms.com/c-935-ds-arms-zm4-ar-pistols.aspx

Both my brother and cousin have rifles from them.
I happen to have a chrome lined DSArms barrel on another rifle, am very happy with the quality of their barrel.
Old February 4, 2020, 06:50 PM   #14
riffraff

DD is nice but I don't see the value for what you are getting. Their barrels are very nice though.

Springfield is one I have considered on multiple occasions and very well may buy some day. Eventually I always come to the conclusion though that if quarters are that tight or something I am shooting at is that close, an actual pistol (ie Sig, Glock, take your pick) in a pistol caliber holds about the same capacity and is infinitely easier to carry and operate.

I get buying the pistol from a big real company to avoid any questions of an illegal SBR, but why get a tax stamp for the suppressor and not SBR the pistol via it's own stamp too (or just buy an SBR or even a suppressed model)? Then you could put a real stock on it, and never would need to worry about a re-interpretation of the laws concerning SBRs.