The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 4, 2001, 10:16 PM   #1
12-34hom

Has there ever been any consideration to adding a chat room here at TFL?

If not, why?

thanks for any replies.
Old June 4, 2001, 10:21 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Because that isnt TFL Style.
There are plenty of Gun Chat rooms around.
Old June 4, 2001, 10:36 PM   #3
12-34hom

Just what exactly is TFL style?

Or do you decide what style is around here George?

Its good to be the king... Mel Brooks.

Old June 4, 2001, 10:42 PM   #4
Jamie Young

I already asked this question about a year ago. If you've ever been around when some of the hot topics start up, People rapid fire post as fast as a Chatroom discussion. Plus, with Posts you can always do searches on info or go back and re-read a previous thread. If we had 1000 members in a chatroom at once you would never be able to read everything everyone was saying.
Old June 4, 2001, 11:53 PM   #5
RikWriter

If you want a chatroom for TFL members, just go register one on the Undernet and use IRC chat via an IRC client such as mIRC or Pirch (both of which are downloadable free).
There is already a #guns chatroom on the Undernet and I am sure they would welcome any TFLers who want to chat about guns.
Old June 5, 2001, 04:32 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

What George said.
What SodaPop said.
What Rik said.

Check the announcements....the new software version....private messaging there. That's about as close as we'll come. We have nothing against Chat Rooms. We simply choose to devote our resources to other pursuits.
Rich

p.s. The TFL style, you ask?: To promote responsible firearms ownership. IOHO, chats are great for chatting. Not real good for promoting responsibility. Have you tried one on your own site?
Old June 5, 2001, 07:05 AM   #7
Bud Helms

When I first heard of chat rooms, I though it was a great idea. Then I got on a few. Got ICQ up and going. Got AOL "Chat Buddies" or whatever it's called up and going. Visited chat rooms everywhere I went. I found them to be almost useless. Very difficult to moderate. Moderating is an absolute requirement and it needs to be done real-time. I've never seen a chat room that would let you edit a post. Talk about "Think Twice, Post Once"!! We don't all type at the same speed, so chatroom conversations are tough to keep sequenced. You have to sit in front of the keyboard for the entire conversation. It requires a lot more discipline of the posters. The only chat rooms I've ever seen that worked were heavily moderated around the clock. Bulletin boards are much, MUCH better.

But the most important advantage BBs have is the archive and search features.