The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 26, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
bigbird34

Drilling 16ga SXS,9.3x72R Rob Hubner Pic Heavy

Quote:
My good gun friend,Swung by today and showed me a 16ga SXS,with a 9.3x72R made by Rob Hubner....Now I'm in N.W Vermont,I have never handled a drilling and this was soooo sweet ! I have only seen these in books,and I have never handled one,what a fine piece of craftsmanship !

The question(s) are ....The proof marks,equal what ?How many were made and what's it worth ??? We ordered ammo for it today )
Lets try the pic thing again....

any help would be appreciated !

TIA BB34
Old April 26, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Jim Watson

There is a chart of common German proof marks at:
http://www.shotguns.se/html/germany_1890-1945.html

Some discussion and a chart of the strange German gauge markings for rifle barrels at:
http://www.germanguns.com/technical.html

I doubt there is any way to tell exactly when it was made unless post 1912 with a date code. There is no way to tell how many old Rob made, we dropped a lot of bombs on gun factories at one time, you may recall.

It is, of course, worth precisely what your friend paid for it... to him.

As to ammunition, bear in mind that it has 65mm = 2 9/16" shot chambers, you will need to scrounge up some correct shells instead of the US standard 2 3/4"
Old April 27, 2012, 09:58 AM   #3
PetahW

Robert Hubner was a Master Gunmaker in Darmstadt, Germany - and is today a retailer: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cl...61334772983163

Your Drilling has short 16ga chambers, as noted above - which, although will accept an UNFIRED 2-3/4" shell, are too short for the FIRED shell's length, as the longer shell's crimp will obstruct the passage of the shot charge ILO lying down in the chamber mouth, out of the way.

The rifle bbl is chambered for the 9.3x72R cartridge - "8.8" is the bore, and not the groove, diameter in millimeters.

It's intertesting, if not curious, to view a short-chambered, hammergun (ca. pre-WWI features) with proof, view & inspection marks that were not used until after 1950.

Hubner bought actions "in the white" from various makers, and completed the guns in his small shop.

IMO, excepting it's rounded action (The Sauer), your drilling looks like this blackpowder Sauer hammergun, down to the island back-action locks:

A few better, bright & clear pics of the marking & stampings on the barrel bottoms, and action insides (if any) might produce/ID a maker's mark.

Last edited by PetahW; April 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

The proof mark are standard for a WWI area German drilling gun. While the Suhl proof house went back to the SUW stamp set after WWII to not use the nazi stamps, they did not stamp rifle barrels with the diameter mark after WWII.