The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Rebel9793

Kel Tec p-11

Was in my local gun store and noticed one in the cabinet and it caught my eye. Felt good and the trigger was not to terribly stiff. It looked pretty much new but was tagged as used. Couldn't help myself for $200. Anyone have any experience with this pistol? Pros/Cons? Ammo choice?
Old February 6, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

Mine was finicky with ammo and hurt like a son-of-a-gun to shoot. I don't think I'm recoil sensitive, I think it was the fact that I couldn't get a comfortable grip and the gun just beat my thumb joint to pieces. I sold it and three mags to a guy I know for $230.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

They are good guns, but require the user to become familiar with their operation.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Rebel9793

I have a Kel Tec P3AT I'm used to shooting so I'm somewhat familiar with the gun. Joe, Have you ever tried Hogue or Pachmyr slip on grips? Have them on my Kel Tec p3at and it makes a night an day difference.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

I did have the slip over grip on it and it didn't help. I shot it with a S&W higher capacity mag and had no problems, but I figured that making the gun bigger defeated the purpose. I have the P32 and it shoots fine, and I have a PF-9 that I haven't fired yet.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6
gregdry

Of the several Keltecs I've owned (P11, Pf9, P3AT), my P11 was one of the best. It was the hard chrome model (all have been) and I don't remember any problems at all with it. (Ultimately sold it to a friend, but still have a hard chrome Pf9.)
Old February 6, 2013, 10:09 PM   #7
chris in va

I had one for a few years.

Harsh recoil, long trigger reset. I probably put about 4 mags through it.

KekTec makes a belt clip that works well. The mag plate finger extension helps a bit.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Rmart30

I had one and sold it and replaced it with a PF9 ..... didnt have any problems out of mine with 200-300 rds thru it. Just didnt care for it and like the PF9 much better.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Pico

Not a fan

Not for me but a lot of people seem to love them. The recoil is not managed well, the trigger is terrible, and I had numerous failures to operate. (Yes I sent it back and they fixed it but it broke again.)

There are much better choices out there now in a small 9 and I would choose another.

Pico
Old February 7, 2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Sparks1957

I like mine quite a bit, as far as its intended purpose is concerned.

It's not pretty, and the trigger is incredible long and heavy so I know I have to be intentional to make it fire...

Putting the mag extensions on helps a lot with the grip. Never had a misfeed or functional problem yet.

For the money, you could do a lot worse.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:14 PM   #11
kahrguy

rebel Do not worry. You got a solid low cost pistol. Now it would be to your benifit to go over to KTOG and get some help with the serial number to see how old it is. KT did some up grades to them over time and the laster seies have been about as bullet proof as any today.

The trigger pull is very much like a revolver in that the pull weight stacks from ligher to about 8 to 9lbs hits a wall beforefireing the trigger. easier to shoot than some da action types for some. The wider grip makes it easier to control too than some light pistols. It will also use a s&w model 59 mag for back up. You can also shoot +P for carry unlike some.

It is not a range pistol but is good enopugh for the IDPA matchs. For what paided you did fine. Go to KT site and check out the accessories. My son-in-law CC's one. It was shooting low and had to get the sight kit FREE to bring up the bullet impacts.

You got a good buy just get a piece of old inner tube to pull up on the grip to help with control while gettinh use to it. Know to that KT has the best CS in the business. Check out old faithfull holster kits for a cc holster too.

Ammo?? Does not seem to matter but besure to take to different brands as WWB and cheaper federal from time to time have more problems than all others.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Rebel9793

This gun wasnt bought as a self defence weapon, Just somethin to roll cans with every now and then. bad comes to worse and I dont like it, Ive got someone ready to buy it for $300. everyone seems to hate a long trigger pull but I like it. On my p3at which I do use for pocket carry CC, it gives you that extra split second to think if you really need to pull that trigger.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:45 AM   #13
bacardisteve

I had one for several years untill I sold off all my 9mms. It was a good gun and darn accurate once I learned the sweet spot in that long heavy trigger. Mine had several thousand rounds through it and 500 of those were +p+ and never a glitch.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Pico

Tackle box gun and others

Uses for a P-11...

Throw it in with your tackle and use it in case you have to put down a monster catfish.

Leave it at your front door without the firing pin. When the perp breaks in with it, shoot them and replace the pin.

An exercise device if you ever need to build up your index finger.

When you are dissatisfied with how any other of your guns shoot, shoot a P-11 to feel better about how your other guns shoot.

Gift as a self-defense gun for a nagging mother in law with very weak hands.

And my final suggestion ...

..... give them to any enemies of Anerica. This will save American lives.

Sorry to the Kel-Tec faithful,

Pico
Old February 8, 2013, 10:19 AM   #15
group17

Not for plinking or fun to shoot . The DA trigger is a deal breaker.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

Some shooters are interested in the challenge of learning to shoot a particular gun. P11s are accurate. Learning to shoot one takes just a little bit of effort. Once mastered, those shooting skills transfer to any other gun. They are no harder to shoot than most double action revolvers.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:06 PM   #17
scottycoyote

ive had one for years, go to the keltec forums and you can see some nifty tricks to help some of its shortcomings. I did the pencil eraser fix for the trigger, made it shoot like an entirely different gun. Mine has the clip and a lazer on it, light weight, fairly high capacity, goes bang every time, i think they are an awesome gun for the money and their intended purpose.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Chesster

Mine functioned well but as arthritis developed in hands I got rid of it. The P40 they made briefly was the worst piece of crap ever called a handgun however.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 9, 2013, 06:58 PM   #19
kahrguy

rebel if you can sell a 250 dollar P11 for $300 sell it and buy a sd9ve. Add the apex spring kit and have a way better pin roller!!