The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: actual experience with taurus
Never owned one, but would if the right deal came along 42 11.76%
never owned one and never will 22 6.16%
owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues 198 55.46%
owned/still own taurus hanguns with problems 95 26.61%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #176
warningshot

Quote:
actual experience with Taurus
Do you need to see the 'Actual Tears & Discused Face' produced after paying UPS shipping fees to Taruas repair station, or the after reviewing Tarus's range performance?
Old March 16, 2013, 07:50 AM   #177
insman1132

Actually every time I squeeze the trigger of my Millennium 145 Pro it goes "bang!" Not sure what more I should expect??

The reality of guns is that if you do a website forum search for any make of gun you are going to find persons writing that are very unhappy with that make of gun and have had reliability problems with it. I was always taught that when you get a new gun you test it thoroughly. If happy keep it. If not satisfied, take it back. Kind of the same rule for anything you purchase, isn't it??
Old March 16, 2013, 08:44 AM   #178
YankeeSpirit76

I've only owned 1 Taurus, a model 44 with the 8 3/8" barrel. I've put many hundreds of rounds of 44 mag, (if not thousands) through it and never had a single problem with it.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:49 PM   #179
Budda

They are all junk and should be sent to me ASAP. Especialy the pt92/99 Beretta copies are extra junky and need sent to me right away before they explode or get your daughter pregnant.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:53 AM   #180
Garycw

actual experience with Taurus

My PT745 has the oddest DAO trigger pull of any pistol I've ever shot, I still like the point and shoot simplicity. When chambered, there is almost no trigger pressure at all the entire length of pull until just before firing round.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 25, 2013, 09:24 AM   #181
SPEMack618

Pop bought a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull for some reason or another. He never really enunciated said reason to me.

That being said, that gun has never failed to fire or work in anyway.

Granting, it don't get shot much, but it has worked everytime.

Funny thing is, in high school, a buddy of mine, big offensive lineman, shot it in the yard one afternoon.

With a straight face and no sense of humor or jest, he said, "Didn't kick as bad as I thought it would. Kinda fun to shoot."

Only time I've heard that said about that gun.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:14 AM   #182
loltraktor1918

I have never owned a Taurus, but I certainly would if the right deal came along. Most likely I would go for one of their large frame revolvers. I can also see myself buying another High Point semi in the not to distant future.

I have come to the conclusion that most problems I have encountered with weapons are usually due to operator(that is me) era, more than the firearm.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:17 PM   #183
Dabull

Have two older PT-99s and both have lost the roll pins that hold the adjustable sight in place. I understand the newer design do not have the pins. I also have a 24/7 Pro that had RTB problems that may have since worked themselves out. Put simply, I am suspicious of them as defensive tools, but think they will ultimately turn out fine.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:43 PM   #184
abherbitter

Owned a PT145 Millennium but wasn't super happy so I sold it and bought the PT145 Millennium Pro. The only complaint I had with the non-Pro version was the lack of attachment rail really. That one I bought used at a gun show and when I looked up the serial number it was made in 2001 (I bought it late 2012). Pulled trigger, went bang, hole appeared in target.

Shortly before I sold it I went to the range with a buddy and had the recoil spring fail on me. I think it was mostly my fault though. Taurus at the time was using a 4-piece recoil spring assembly. And I think I put the outer recoil spring on backwards. The Pro models use a captive recoil spring assembly that doesn't come apart so you can't screw it up (maybe I wasn't the only one eh?).

This brings me to my only complaint: Taurus Customer Service.

I spent about 3 months trying to get a replacement recoil spring for the non-Pro model to be able to sell it. They sent me the wrong part three times. The last time I even sent them in the messed-up remains of my recoil spring, along with the wrong part that I had gotten previously and wrote "NOT THIS" on the shipping label for the wrong part. I got another copy of that SAME wrong part.

Almost every time I called to follow up after they FINALLY figured out what I needed I got a different story. I don't think I was being given the run-around I think the customer service reps didn't know what was going on.

I think that Taurus makes a great product. I will warn you that the springs on it are TOUGH. But their customer service is enough that I'm not recommending them to others anymore.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:50 PM   #185
abherbitter

Dabull:
Quote:
I also have a 24/7 Pro that had RTB problems that may have since worked themselves out.
What does RTB mean?
Old March 25, 2013, 02:03 PM   #186
Spats McGee
Staff

"Return to Battery," I suspect.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:45 PM   #187
Gunbunny1

I own one...a 94

Yep...guess the word got out before I purchased mine. This is my 4th handgun....my 2nd revolver. Just a girl with a gun complex. I'm not sorry...I cant afford a smith. Lest I save my pennies for a year or more. Hell, I can barely afford ammo. I am one of those who saves her brass just to have my good friend reload for me. Pennies on the dollar. I like to shoot. Whether it be 22lr or 9m. Doesn't matter to me. I can almost promise you that I am alot more like you than different. I needed a nice serviceable revolver. I like to go with my boyfriend out into the wilderness near my home. There are lots of wild 4 legged beasties out here. But the real ones I worry about are the two legged kind. I plan on getting my ccw this summer. I have already lost friends just cause I plan on packing. I have decided not to tell anyone else. My new Taurus will serve me well I am sure. Along with my F.E.I 22lr revolver, my 22lr Sig Mosquito and my 70year old WW11 Browning 9m which I shoot often. Just wanted to introduce myself and chime in on the Taurus bandwagon. Hope to get to know you all well.
WW11 FN Browning Hi-Power 9m, F.E I. 22lr POS revolver, Sig Mosquito 22lr SA, Taurus 94 22lr revolver. My next gun.....357 magnum revolver or 45 ACP SA....so many choices so little time...hey show me that great big shiney one.....hummmm....looks like my wallet just got several bills lighter..
Old March 27, 2013, 08:59 AM   #188
Rifleman1952

Welcome gunbunny1. The very first firearm I ever purchased was a $50 .25 caliber Raven, back in 1979, a true "Saturday night special". It was all I could afford back then. Fortunately, I never had to use it in a self-defense situation, but just having that little pistol with me on camping trips helped me sleep easier. When I started earning a little more money, I traded that little .25 in for a Smith & Wesson Mod 60, .38 special, which I still own today.

The main thing is to get in the game, where your budget allows, and enjoy the shooting sports. It is a hobby, sport, lifestyle, one can enjoy for a lifetime. Always make firearms safety a priority, practice, and get training when possible. A good website for new firearm enthusiasts, which gets frequent mention on this forum, is corneredcat.com. There is a wealth of good information in the articles for the newbie.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:11 PM   #189
Cesure

I just bought a Taurus Revolver...

...from an online auction. I probably paid too much for it, but times are like that. I admit I had to overcome the reputation thing and set my mind on being patient to work out any kinks. It's a Model 327 and is apparently very similar to the Model 85, except that it shoots six .327 Federal Magnums instead of five 38s. I ran 30 of them and six .32 H&R Magnums through it this afternoon and I'm quite happy with the gun. I bought it for my wife, but she might have difficulty wrestling it away from me. The American Eagle 100 grain JSPs produce an awe inspiring amount of recoil. I can see why Federal sells Low Recoil SD ammo for it. I can reload practice ammo for it, so it should be relatively cheap to feed.

I can also see why many people on taurusarmed changed to the Hogue Monogrip and bought the Wolff spring kit for it. It needs both. The grip to manage recoil and the spring kit to smooth and reduce the trigger pull.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:26 PM   #190
hunter52

I have a good bit of experience with Taurus, I own 3, several of my friends and family own them or have owned them.

Of the 3 I have, a PT99 is the oldest , I have owned it for 17 or 18 years , the only problem has been the rear sight is held on with a small roll pin that kept coming out, staked both sides , no more trouble.

PT 1911 I bought about 10 years ago, I had gave each of my sons one of my Colt 1911's for a high school graduation gift and found myself without a 45, price was right so I bought the Taurus, it is a very accurate, reliable pistol,fact it sits in my night stand .

The last Taurus I have is a Model 66 seven shot with a six inch barrel, I got it from a friend who owed me money about 5 years ago, the front screw in the side plate that holds the cylinder in worked out after just a few rounds causing the cylinder to become loose, the screw was too long to thread all the way in without binding the cylinder, a little filing and some Loctite and no more problem. Since Taurus uses a coil spring for it's mainspring ,letoff is rather abrupt in double action , an overtravel stop fixed that.

I have experience problems with other makes of firearms as well, the only one I stay away from now is Charter Arms.

I don't keep track of how many rounds I shoot out of any particular gun, never saw the point . I do track how much I reload though, last year I loaded a bit over 10,000 rounds of pistol caliber ammunition. This year will be about half that.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:41 PM   #191
shurshot

Going on 3 decades with a model 99 9MM and 66 .357, w/nary an issue!! Both still shoot great, as they did in the mid 80's when they were new! I would put either up against the Beretta and Smith Originals any day for Accuracy, durability, fit and finish.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:47 PM   #192
SVTCobra306

My Dad has an M66 6" .357 which I hunt with, and he has a Raging Bull .44Mag which he hunts with. Lots of rounds out of both with no feeding or firing issues, both are very accurate. He has had both for nearly eight years I think.

My wife has a Smith and Wesson Model 66 4". The quality of fit and finish of the S&W is much much better than that of either Taurus model. Cylinder lockup is much tighter on the S&W despite being a much older revolver (mid 80's I think, it's a 66-2). For all that though, they both function well and as I said before are accurate, so really no complaints for a field gun. If you want something for show and tell, the Taurus is not it.

Unfortunately lately around here the gun show sellers are marking up Taurus products. Recently I saw a Taurus M66 6" blued at one table for 550 used, and the table next to it had a pair of S&W 686's in Stainless for $650 each.. for that money I'd go the S&W route in a heartbeat. Taurus makes a good performing cheap revolver, but if it's not cheap I'd turn elsewhere.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:18 AM   #193
1955 Gun Nut

Taurus Judge

I've owned a few Taurus's and shot many others who belonged to friends. I was never overly impressed with them until I bought a Taurus Judge Magnum. I have to say it has become one of my favorite hand guns. Never had a problem with it and the .45 long colts are virtually dead on at various distances. The .410 3" magnums kick like a mule but hold a great pattern. In my opinion the Taurus is in a category of it's own. I currently have a Ruger SR22, SR9, a S&W .380 Body Guard, and a 1883 S&W 32 Revolver. I like the Taurus Judge as well as any of them.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:40 PM   #194
dpkrum

Taurus 2013

I have three: A PT24/7 PRO in 9mm, a 709 Slim in 9mm, and a Model 94 revolver in .22LR. All have been accurate, smooth, and reliable. I am shopping for the 905 revolver now. I see a lot of folks had problems when they skipped the stellar clips. I understand that if you DON'T use them, and use your own reloaded ammo, you might be seating the round too deep, especially if you have any level of rolled crimp. I can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out!
Old May 16, 2013, 06:14 PM   #195
deepcreek

I bought a new Taurus PT99 about 15yrs ago I really liked the feel and design of the gun Until.. I took it out and shot it. It held 4-foot groups at about 15 feet . I thought no way.. I cleaned it put t back together still could not hit a bucket at 5ft, so I said nothing and took it out with some friends they were all like what is wrong with this gun..
The gun functioned fine besides it would not shoot cheap ammo very dependably, it would just not hold a group. at all. You had to hold it on something to shot it, literally.

That was the last Taurus I bought and never plain on spending a dime on another one.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:29 PM   #196
Mike1

I've had a M94, 3", 22LR for Many years. Totally reliable and accurate.

Bought a 1911 a few years ago. Had constant jams and feeding problems. Switched to Chip McCormick magazines and all problems solved. It is my most accurate 45 auto.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:40 AM   #197
southjk

Interesting results so far. If you discount the folks that have never had one and only look at the bottom two lines of the poll you see that you have about a 50/50 shot of getting a bad Taurus.

I don't like those odds so I'll stick with my S&W.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:14 AM   #198
Glenn E. Meyer

I had a PT-22 and Model 94 22 revolver - both had significant problems. Two out of two.

SW - 5 guns - two had significant problems.
Old May 18, 2013, 02:32 AM   #199

Actually it's about a third. 198 good & 95 bad. Still kinda high if you ask me. If they made them in the states I might try one. How much cheaper is their beretta knock off? FWIW I use to sell Firearms at the wholesale level back in the eighties. 98% of the dealers I sold to thought they were Junk. They must have improved since then ? Do they build any in the US ?
Old May 18, 2013, 11:44 PM   #200
Doug S

Of the choices, I would have to choose, owned/still own with problems. That wording is a bit confusing to me, though, and instead I would change it to, owned/had problems/no longer own/wouldn't purchase another. But, I guess that's just semantics.

I'm not a Taurus basher either. Just my experience. Glad yours is better. I get tired of people accusing others of Taurus bashing when they share an honest experience (which has happened to me a number of times). It's absurd IMO to think that someone who owned multiples of a brand of gun, and had problems with multiples of said brand, and then shares that experience when asked, is bashing. Now those who jump on the bandwagon, and complain about a brand they have no experience with, well maybe that is bashing.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; May 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM.