The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 4, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
TGDKY

10/22 Barrel band

I plan on keeping my 1022 realitively stock. A trigger job, a good scope and a bipod are about all i plan. My question is- i know a lot of people dont like the barrel bands. I dont mind it so much but if i am going to keep it- shold i do one of the bands with built in swivel mounts, and rail mounts? I could mount a bipod very easy on one- and still keep my original wood stock.

Also, i plan on this being a scope only gun- not an iron sight gun. Can i remove the front sight altogether just to clean it up a bit? I know a brass punch and a hammer will do it- but has anyone just ever removed the frpnt sight and left it like that? and by the sight i mean base and all- not just the sight. or should i just get a match target barrel without a sight?

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”

Last edited by TGDKY; July 4, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old July 4, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Edward429451

I wouldn't want to hang a sling from my barrel band, it might stress the barrel and be a problem. Do you know how easy it is to drill the stock and install a sling stud? Very easy.
Old July 4, 2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

The front sight on my 10/22 doesn't interfere with the scope. Until your post I hadn't even considered it might be a nuisance. It isn't. I vote leave alone.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Pahoo

Anything you do, can usually be un-done.

Not sure how old your 10/22 might be as the newer ones have plastic barrel bands. I don't see you having a problem of a sling stud to you band, if it's metal. However, as far as a bi-pod, I would not use the band for that and instead go with a new machine screw stud. The bi-pod has a place to attach a sling to. ......

As far as the front sight, you can remove it to a point but as Rifleman1776 has stated, it should not interfere with your scope. On the one hand, you say you want to stay stock and on the other, it sounds like you want to go tacticool. In that case, get two stocks..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 4, 2011, 04:48 PM   #5
TGDKY

I think I have decided against an after market barrel band. If I eliminate the band all together- what's the best way to do this. Can I use a volquartsen bedding kit and thim the thin part off the stock where the band went?

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old July 4, 2011, 05:55 PM   #6
RaySendero

TGDKY,

A Volquartsen 10/22 has a steel receiver, where as, a the Ruger comes with an aluminum receiver. Free-floating the barrel on a 10/22 with an aluminum receiver isn't the best way. I'd get rid of the barrel band, freefloat the barrel then experiment with adding a pressure point using aluminum duct tape in the forearm.
Old July 4, 2011, 06:08 PM   #7
TGDKY

I may do a hogue over mold stock-bed it and be done with it. Then go with a trigger job.

Old July 4, 2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
trim the thin part off the stock where the band went?
Yes, I did one carbine stock this way and you only lose about 1-1/2". Just cut it flush and give youself a round or radius. The barrel just free floats and provided a support at the end of the forend barrel channel. To date, I have had no issues with this setup but my barrel is shorter than the regular carbine barrel. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 4, 2011, 07:19 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

The receiver to stock fit is very sloppy in a typical factory 10/22, so if you remove the barrel band the entire barrelled action will pivot on the single action screw.

I've had good luck using a self-adhesive felt furniture pad in the barrel channel to provide some stability at the fore-end and some very simple bedding work to stabilize the rear of the receiver in the stock.
Old July 4, 2011, 10:05 PM   #10
BusGunner007

This may be of no use to you...

I never shot my 10/22 in its factory form.
I planned out the 'Rubber Rifle'.
It's a little less bulky at present, but it shoots just fine.

Hogue stock.
Choate heatshield.
BEC Rubber armored scope.
QUAKE Claw sling.
Vortex flash suppressor.
Weaver T-09 base.
Harris bipod.
Eagle magazine.