The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Wildalaska

A deep Philosophical Question

Pryrodex or Black Powder....who uses what and why (this will be in cartridge revolver)....please evaluate in terms of corrosivity, ease of use, clean up.

WildhurrypleaseAlaska TM
Old April 17, 2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Hawg

I've been using Pyrodex for years, ever since real black got so hard to get. I'd rather have real black but cant find it locally and cant afford to buy in bulk. I rather like it. It has an undeserved reputation for corrosiveness, cleans up easily with soapy water and is the cheapest of the subs. It also compresses better than real black allowing cartridges to be loaded heavier. More in line with original charges.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Hardcase

Pyrodex here, too. Nobody sells black powder around here and I can't work up the gumption to drop a lot of money on shipping for a couple of pounds of the real stuff.

I've never had any problems with corrosion with Pyrodex, even when I forgot to clean one of my revolvers for a couple of weeks . Of course, a humid day here-abouts is when it gets over 25%, so that probably has something to do with it.

I load 4.3cc's of "R" in metallic 12 gauge shotgun shells - works like a charm, lots of smoke and noise. I just got a Kirst Konverter for my 1858 Pietta and I ran through a whole bunch of .45 Long Colts Friday night. I just filled the cases up most of the way and compressed the powder with the bullet. No problems. With both the shotgun and pistol cartridges, I just dropped the empties in a little bucket with soapy water and a bit of white vinegar for ten minutes or so, then rinsed 'em off with water. The guns just get a good hot water rinse like you would with black powder.

With that in mind, I'd sure like to use black powder. Maybe one of these times I'll run across a pound or two locally.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Of course, a humid day here-abouts is when it gets over 25%, so that probably has something to do with it.
Humidity here is usually high 90's and still no problems going for days at a time without cleaning. Pyrodex has a bad rep usually perpetuated by people with no experience.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:58 PM   #5
surbat6

Black powder exclusively. IMO, Pyrodex offers no practical advantage over the real stuff.
Pyrodex is somewhat corrosive, so no plus there. It's only real-world advantage is that it's not an explosive like black powder so it's easier to ship, probably the reason Hawg and Hardcase can't get the black stuff near home.
Old April 17, 2010, 10:20 PM   #6
B.L.E.

I use real black powder almost exclusively in cap and ball revolvers and muzzleloaders.
I have tried Pyrodex and there's nothing wrong with it but I can get black powder easily enough and the more I use it, the more I appreciate how terrible it is not.
Old April 17, 2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Andy Griffith

I've shot a lot of Pyrodex and holy Black...

I prefer Black because I seem to get more consistent shots and for me, easier clean up and I like the smell better.
Old April 18, 2010, 09:37 AM   #8
wogpotter

I just wish I could get real Black Powder here & that it was legal to store it here also.:barf:
MD sucks!
Old April 18, 2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Pahoo

To specifically address your question, I vote for neither. If I had to go back to either one, I'd go all the way back to my Longbow. Wish I could be more help.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 18, 2010, 10:37 AM   #10
zippy13

Based on the OP's criteria of corrosivity, ease of use, clean up, I'd go with BP; however, in the real world, cost and availability can not be ignored.

Perhaps the survey would be more meaningful if we were asked to rank the various pros and cons of BP in order of their importance to us. Who would base their powder purchase selection on a survey that only asked which comes in the more attractive container?
Old April 18, 2010, 10:54 AM   #11
B.L.E.

Quote:
To specifically address your question, I vote for neither. If I had to go back to either one, I'd go all the way back to my Longbow. Wish I could be more help.
Straight or recurved?
Solid yew or laminate?
Real sinew or synthetic string?
Wood, aluminum, or cf arrows?
Old April 18, 2010, 11:20 AM   #12
B.L.E.

I go to a lot of competitive shoots and the consensus among the bench rest shooters, you know, the people who shoot these rifles with false muzzles, 3 inch diameter barrels, micro adjustable aperture sights, etc., all use real black powder even though the rules do not prohibit Pyrodex.

These shooters pretty much rate Swiss as the gold standard of black powders.
Goex is also pretty good although some say it is not as good as it used to be when it was made in Pennsylvania.
Schuetzen and Kik are about on par with Goex.
Old April 18, 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
azsixgun

How does Graf & Sons rate as a black powder?
Old April 18, 2010, 02:23 PM   #14
ebr-lvr

I like to shoot and will pretty much use what I can obtain. That said my preference is black. I don't like paying 13.75 per lb. as it was not that long ago that it was less than 9.00. At least I can get it here, From the other posts I guess I should be thankful. I shot pyrodex a lot for quite a spell and really no complaints. I did like the 'compressability' of it. I never realized a decernable difference in accuracy or clean-up between the two. My local vendor carries Graf & sons and occationally I make the trip to Mexico just to visit Robert and shoot his M-16 and pick up a supply there. I hope nothing happens to totally take black off of the market, that would be a shame.

When a deadly situation presents,One will not "rise to the occasion" but will " default to his highest level of training"
Old April 18, 2010, 03:20 PM   #15
B.L.E.

Quote:
How does Graf & Sons rate as a black powder?
I have never tried it but my internet research seems to indicate that it is relabeled Wano from Germany.

Schuetzen is also made by Wano so it probably is pretty good stuff.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Doc Hoy

BLE

Nothing that used to be made in Pennsylvania and is no longer made there is as good as it used to be. Soft pretzels ....Philly cheese steaks....Jimmy John's Pipin Hots...Apie cake...Tommy Dale's potato chips.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:53 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Doc Hoy

LOL

Goex actually bought Dupont's black powder plant in 1975 and so can be considered a continuation of Dupont black powder. They even kept the label of the can pretty much the same except for the name.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Doc Hoy

BLE

Yes....I have always assumed that the "GO" in GOEX stood for "Gearhart Owens".

Can others verify this?
Old April 18, 2010, 07:08 PM   #19
kwhi43

Yes it is. When they bought it, the cans were marked GOI.
Old April 18, 2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Delmar

I have been shooting Pyrodex and my own white powder (sugar and KNO3) concoction. I have also started working on adding charcoal which, for now, I am making out of poplar, because it is the most plentiful wood that I have and it, like willow, is one of the softer desiduous trees. I have not yet found a good source of sulfur in my area that I don't have to mail order, so I am trying recipes that I have found that work with what I have. I found a motor today to power my ball mill, so I should have that going this week.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:13 PM   #21
ClemBert

I can't find a compelling reason to use Pyrodex unless:

1. It is a lot cheaper than BP
2. You can't get BP

You can order BP for $10.15/lb (Diamondback) or $13.60/lb (Goex).
Old April 18, 2010, 10:23 PM   #22
Hawg

Quote:

Yeah but you cant buy just one or two for those prices. The closest place for me to get real bp is 132 miles one way. If I was already going that way would be ok but I never go there.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:27 PM   #23
ClemBert

Quote:
Yeah but you cant buy just one or two for those prices.
But Hawg, what would I do with only one or two pounds?
Old April 19, 2010, 01:37 AM   #24
Delmar

Quote:
Got a link?
Old April 19, 2010, 02:47 AM   #25
arcticap

Quote:
Diamondback powder is available in 25 pound cartons only, maximum 50 pound orders.
Quote:
Product: KIK Powder
FFF 1 pound cans
5 lb. lot: $19.60 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $15.15 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $11.65 per lb.
Price includes shipping and hazmat fee.
http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bps...R_ID=321981275

http://powderinc.com/