The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 08:41 PM   #26
Sevens

Oh, I forgot about my 2-inch by 2-inch square post-it notes.

I use these on every box of ammo I produce and for notes I leave for myself. I keep blocks of 'em near the computer, and write down loads from my archives to take to the load bench. I keep stacks of them at the load bench to put on ammo boxes.

I go through a lot of 'em.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:00 PM   #27
ir3e971

I cut the top off of a 16 ounce soda bottle to make a large funnel for emptying powder back out of the powder measure into the powder jar. The large open mouth doesn't let stick powder get stuck. Best funnel for the job ever.

Also, I always use a model paint brush for chasing stubborn powder granules off the top of the powder baffle.

Old plastic mayo jars for storing cleaned brass and sundry items.

4 x 6 inch index cards and a black sharpie to make a dot. Cheap targets!
Old August 24, 2009, 05:07 PM   #28
aerod1

The ladies at church save all the large plastic coffee cans for my brass. Yes, they know why I want them.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old August 24, 2009, 07:34 PM   #29
Starvingboy

RCBS lube die. $10 on Ebay, I nearly fainted when I found out they existed. All that mucking about with Lee lube on a progressive press, and now, Blamo, done automatically.

Oh, and second on the wooden q-tips. I don't know if I use the stick or the swab part more.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:17 PM   #30
GeauxTide

1 Quart ZipLocs for 20 rounds of one rifle load to take to the range. Write the specs on the bag and discard after the session.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:40 PM   #31
benzy2

One shot lube. Its so quick to have an entire tray of cases lubed and ready to go. For the money it cut lube time down to 10 seconds for 100 rounds.

A cabelas rotary media separator. It cut time to get tumbler material out of a batch of cases down to 30 seconds a batch. Made tumbling enjoyable rather than a pain in the butt.

Harbor freight calipers. I think I got them for $10ish and they are certainly accurate enough to give me +/- .001" which is all I need.

Lee trimmers are dirt cheap and again get me close enough for how well (or lack of well) I shoot.

A bullet comparator really made a big difference for me rather than measuring off the tip and the single kit covered all the different rifle bullet sizes I load.