The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 26, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Wracked with sobs at the shotgun rack - self-defense and sound effects again

So I decided on the way home from work to stop at Sportsman Warehouse. I want to browse at the toys. At the gun counter, there is a guy with his wife. He is wearing scrubs (ok) and looking at a tatical looking Mossberg 12 guage pump. The clerk is telling him how it works.

Clerk racks the slide (Da DA!). The dude says this is good because he just wants to make that sound. Then he asks if he could get some BLANKS if he still needs to scare!

I feel obliged to say - Sir - I don't think this is a good idea. If you you use an instrument of lethal ....[

At this point, the dude glares at me so fiercely that I was thinking that I might have to flee for my life. I have disrupted his macho plan!! Then, the clerk chimes in - well, after the blanks you can put some birdshot.

Sigh - time to go. I go to the knife counter to check out if they are selling rubber knives.

Later, at a match - I was telling someone about this and he told me of a dude who told him that he has as his defense gun a revolver with a load of birdshot first. That will be fired into the ceiling to scare the guy and one can then spackle if need be. If that doesn't work - one might think about actually using the gun.

My moral obligation was met. I tried. But never disagree with someone's tactical plan - they snarl at you. I wanted to cry.
Old February 26, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
threegun

Glenn, I can't tell you the crap I hear our customers spouting while shopping for weapons. I have learned not to attempt a tactical correction more than once. If the dude isn't willing to learn oh well. If they want to sound stupid more power to them.
Old February 26, 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
pax

Glenn ~

No way to settle so no point in betting, but if it were possible to discover the backstory, I would bet you $5 that the reason the man glared at you was because he'd just spent a week talking his wife into the gun purchase in the first place. That would explain the glare.

NOT that it makes much difference: that's a very, very scary & useless mindset in any case. Those who are not ethically prepared to live with the consequences of killing an attacker in order to save an innocent should not use a lethal weapon to defend themselves.

pax
Old February 26, 2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Didn't think of that - good point. Maybe he was convincing her that they didn't need those nasty rounds. Then once they get the gun ...

I can be dense.
Old February 26, 2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Trip20

You encountered in the real world what happens on the internet all the time!

A fellow "member" openly "posts" his plan. You then responded with a post suggesting the OP's plan is not the best option, and the OP then flamed you (with a stare)!
Old February 26, 2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I have the solution to the great bathroom thread! I will get a sound chip that attaches to my drawers. When I use the rest room and drop my pants, the sound of a shotgun racking will play.

Thus, I will be safe!

Been a long day!
Old February 26, 2007, 05:27 PM   #7
banditt007

at least you tried. Better off having a fool like that shooting blanks around than real ammo if thats the way he looks at things. i'd feel safer with a combat knife than a useless noise making club....IE a shotgun loaded with blanks.
Old February 26, 2007, 05:40 PM   #8
lockedcj7

Recommend a good CWP or other (lethal) self-defense course. The instructor will set them straight and they never have to admit to having a poorly thought-out plan in the first place.
Old February 26, 2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Edward429451

Maybe the wife only let him get it on the promise that he'd never shoot anyone.
Old March 3, 2007, 06:23 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

So I'm watching the news. An elderly man challenged two burglars today with an unloaded shotgun in my town. They shot him. Don't know more details. Maybe he just wracked it but they weren't scared away. Oops.

Obviously, I feel sorry for him but sometimes the commando shotgun BS gets to me.
Old March 3, 2007, 06:49 PM   #11
pax

Hope it wasn't the same guy.

Guess that's one of many reasons why it is so tempting to rant about this stuff: ignorance can and does get people killed.

pax
Old March 4, 2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Mannlicher

if these guys ever need their gun for defense, at least their stupidity will have the effect of pouring bleach in the gene pool.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 4, 2007, 07:45 PM   #13
Big Don

Attaboy

Glenn, you did the right thing and you should continue to do the right thing. One of these days, it will make a difference and that will make up for all of the dummies who didn't like your very good advice. If we give up on trying to do our honest and level best to educate people then we've all lost.
+1 for you from me.
Don