The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 13, 2002, 05:26 PM   #1
falconer

1911 sights

I recently picked up a slightly used Springfield Loaded with Novak sights. While Coronach and I were at the range today, I noticed a slight cant to my front sight that was not there when shooting it on Saturday. It looks like the sight is starting to become slightly unstaked. Is there any easy way to remedy this or should I just visit my gunsmith the next time I go home?
Old May 13, 2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Two Choices

Order the 1911 staking tool from Brownells.com or someplace else or take it to your gunsmith.
Old May 13, 2002, 08:19 PM   #3
stans

You could try restaking it, but the tenon may be stretching and will become weak. Then, the front sight will part company with the slide, usually during a match. This almost happened to me, the front sight was wobbling by the end of a IPSC area match. I was wondering why I could no longer hit the little poppers and plates!

I had the staked on sight replaced with a Millet dual crimp front sight. I doubt it will ever come off. This work was done many years ago, today I would have a dovetail milled into the front of the slide and have a dovetailed sight installed.
Old May 14, 2002, 07:17 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Falconer, you might have your local smith take a look at it and see if there is enough tenon to restake. Stans could be right but it may just not have been staked on properly to begin with. George