The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 3, 2013, 08:34 AM   #26
BoogieMan

@Ajtozzi- For the most part I dont mind the system in NJ. It keeps me from spending more money on guns. Lots of great things about the state IMO. I just hate the property taxes and gun laws are a bit restrictive. If I had lived someplace else prior it might be more of an issue to me. Also, you can get more than pistol permits per application. To the best of my knowledge you can get as many as you are willing to pay for. $2 each. I just picked up 4 yesterday. Like you said you can only buy 1 pistol every 30 days and the permits have to be used within 180 days. The way around that is another piece of paperwork. You can use all of your permits same day at the same point of purchase.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 3, 2013, 10:26 AM   #27
Ajtozzi

NICS wait period

What do you mean you can use all your permits at once?
Old April 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #28
Noreaster

Permit to purchase signed by the Chief sounds like a huge PIA. I just waited 2 hours in Maine and I thought that was a long time. Same thing, no more phone calls, everything is faxed.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:31 PM   #29
tynman

Well my instant 8 day NICS check came back today. So I picked up my Remington 1894 S/S shotgun.

Boogieman you can only ask or get 3 per 1 set of paper work. You can get as many set as you would like.
I would really like to know how you can get around the 31 day wait in between handgun purchases? Cause I have 2 waiting for me in the same store so I would like to know how I could bring them both home on the same day. Please do tell.

BTW who ever asked if the Garden State Parkway (parking lot) is now free.....HAHAHAHAHA That money making highway will never be free... The just took 1 or 2 tolls out heading south and 1 or 2 out heading north and just made them $1.50 to go thru...... Never will they get rid of the tolls...
Old April 3, 2013, 07:37 PM   #30
BoogieMan

@tynmann- According to my LGS they can fill out a form that allows you to take home multiples in the same day. To my understanding you would have to take them same day or wait the 30 days in between. I have 4 stores that I frequent in S NJ. The one that gave me that info is Bangers in Winslow, its located within South Jersey Shooting club. Another good one may be Bobs little sports shop in Glassboro. Bob is a huge supporter (maybe a founder) of the NJ2A society.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #31
tynman

Well I will run that by Tips hardware when I get my purchase permits in cause I paid for 2 handguns (2 of the 3 permits will be for that place) they charged me for 2 NICS checks already. But they didnt say anything about taking them both home the same time. Please find out what has to be done or paperwork that needs to be filled out so I can let Tips know.

I have spoken to Bob about a 2 months ago. He seemed like a very nice guy and down to earth. If he had what I was looking for I wouldnt mind taking the ride over an hour to give him the business.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:19 PM   #32
Ajtozzi

NICS wait period

1) no you can't take both home the same day

2) Bob is a huge 2A supporter but he is not the founder if NJ2AS
Old April 3, 2013, 10:29 PM   #33
tynman

Ajtozzi I didnt think you can use more then one handgun permit in 30 days. But if there was a way I would like to know how.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:41 AM   #34
BoogieMan

@Tynman- I did a quick search and came up with this. The thing is it might take you longer to get it approved than the wait period.
http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-015.pdf

I think there are many misconceptions about NJ gun laws. Most of the time the cops dont even know the laws. Such as only being able to get 3 permits at a time. I just picked up 4, my police station told me I can get as many as I am willing to pay $2 each. They are not to bad, the thing is that you just have to ask to do everything that people living else where can just go do.Kind of like living at home with parents -vs- getting your own place.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 4, 2013, 07:47 AM   #35
tynman

Boogieman you can get 3 permits on one application, but you can get as many application as you wish.
The form you found has some lines that you have to fall under to be able to do the more then one gun at a time.

Purchase of multiple handguns from a person who obtained the handguns through inheritance or intestacy.

Collector of handguns with a need to purchase or otherwise receive multiple handguns in the same transaction or within a 30-day
period in furtherance of the applicant's collecting activities. "Need" shall include, but not be limited to, situations where there is a
reasonable likelihood that the additional handguns sought to be purchased would not be readily available after the 30-day period,
that it would not be feasible or practical to purchase the handguns separately, or that prohibiting the purchase of more than one
handgun within a 30-day period would have a materially adverse impact on the applicant's ability to enhance his collection. A
"collector" shall include any person who devotes time and attention to acquiring firearms for the enhancement of the person's
collection: as curios; for inheritance; for historical, investment, training and competitive, recreational, educational, scientific, or
defensive purposes; or any or other lawful related purpose.

The applicant participates in sanctioned handgun shooting competitions and needs to purchase or otherwise receive multiple
handguns in a single transaction or within a 30-day period, and the need is related to the applicant's competitive shooting
activities, including use in or training for sanctioned competitions.

That is right off the form. Listen I hope you can get all your guns in one time. I would have like to also but its to late for me cause I think my stuff is back in town and now its just waiting for when the chief feels I could go get my guns.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #36
BoogieMan

@tynman- Are you not a collector? Seeing as NJ doesnt recognize C&R any firearm can be a collector firearm. Also guns are not readily available so there is a fair chance that any handgun you see will not be available in 30 days.
I dont plan on using the form. I did just pick up 4 permits under 1 application. I dont know who is telling you your limited. Time is the only limiting factor that im aware of.
http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf- does not contain a limit.
http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html- link for all applicable NJ permits and FAQ
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; April 4, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:21 AM   #37
tynman

I dont know Im guessing every police dept is diffrent. Im going to say thats why we have all these problems nothing is the same from city to city in the same state.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:39 AM   #38
2ndsojourn

From BoogieMan:

"Seeing as NJ doesnt recognize C&R....."

What's the impact of this? Does this mean that if one has a C&R FFL, that you can't receive otherwise federally recognized C&R's direct from others?
Old April 4, 2013, 09:48 AM   #39
BoogieMan

Having a C&R in NJ is IMO useless. You can not legally accept firearms from out of state without going through a FFL. You can transfer (as a citizen) long guns only by using the from from the state police. No registration, but if (not that it ever happens) someone questions you about how you acquired that long gun you need to be able to show that form signed by buyer and seller along with your FID.
NOTE: I am not a lawyer and none of this info should be used or confused with legal advice. Seeing as your freedom could be in jeopardy I recommend consulting a lawyer or authority.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 4, 2013, 07:18 PM   #40
tynman

I went to my PD today cause 2 weeks ago I was told the chief was on vacation and my paper work was on his desk waiting for him. I was told it should be another week once he gets back. Which brings us to today. (my filing date was 1/24/13) At first when I filed the paperwork I was told it takes a month to 2. Then I was told by a front office lady (which acts like I or anyone else shouldn't have a gun) told me it was 3 to 4 months now. The woman that I guess does some of the paperwork for PPP came out to tell me it shouldn't be that long its on the desk with others in front of me. By the time I got home there was a message from the Det Sargent that does the paperwork to call him back. Talking to him (which he was very nice) he explained to me that he should get to my paperwork by the end of the month. But with all this going on he said the wait is up to 3 to 4 months and they went from 20 applications a month to 20 applications a day. So they are backed up in my town with no extra help added for the rush. But talking to someone that knows what he is talking about and telling me the truth I can wait and not get mad.

But I would call this a waiting period. A long one at that...
Old April 5, 2013, 12:11 AM   #41
Frankv64

NICS wait period

I'm in NJ Also and I've been waiting over a week. As of today my sales guy at the gun shop said the wait is almost 2 weeks. That should screw up my other permits timing. NJ is rough with the gun laws
Old April 5, 2013, 12:18 AM   #42
Frankv64

NICS wait period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajtozzi View Post
Here's the deal in NJ
regarding NICS...

NJ decided years ago that they didn't want to use the FREE NICS system offered by the FBI as they viewed the NICS checks as a source of revenue. Therefore all NICS checks that are done at point of purchase in NJ go through the NJ State Police.

Recently, due to "higher than normal volumes" NJ NICS no longer accepts phone calls, they only take the info via fax, which goes into a pile and they do them as they were received. This started around mid-January and continues with no relief in sight.

The current wait time, as of 4/1, is about 10 days, which seems to grow by about one day a week. There is no mandatory waiting period in NJ. The state charges $15 to perform this check with some FFLs charging above and beyond that to profit from it. This $15 fee is also taxable which really makes it $16.05 after tax.

There are talks of a class action law suit in the works to force NJ to revert to making these background checks "instant". Personally I view this delay as unacceptable and an infringement on our 2nd Amendment rights. NJ has effectively instituted an illegal waiting period on purchases due to this backlog.

Additionally NJ requires a firearm ID card (FID) to purchase long guns, hand guns and ammo. Hand guns apps require, in addition to the FID, Pistol Purchase Permits. These PPPs must be obtained one for each handgun, are good for 90 days (extendable to 180 days) and you may only obtain 3 at a time. NJ also limits you to one handgun purchase every 30 days. The current wait time to obtain an FID and PPPs is anywhere from 2-6 months depending on which township/county you reside in. The cost for an FID is about $80 (which is good for life) and PPPs are $2 each plus an $18 background check fee.

It's confusing, ridiculous and, in my opinion, unconstitutional. Ask me again why I live here?!?!??

Check out www.nj2as.com for more info!
I'm already a member
Old April 5, 2013, 07:37 AM   #43
2ndsojourn

IIRC, it took almost 2 months for mine. I could tell there was some intentional runaround built in to the process. ie: I had to make an appointment to sign the paperwork in front of the processor in the PD (He wasn't even a cop), and he was all booked up for a couple weeks. Then about a month later, I was off work one afternoon and a plainclothes cop came to my house to verify my address. What if I was normally at work that day? Then around day 32, I called to follow up and was told that the processor was on vacation and don't call any more - "Someone will call you".

Oh...and as part of the process I had to go to a certified fingerprinting service (at a cost of $60 IIRC) because the local PD "doesn't do the fingerprinting". When I was called to tell me my permits were ready and I picked them up,.. guess what? They fingerprinted me!
Old April 5, 2013, 07:57 AM   #44
Ajtozzi

NICS wait period

It is illegal to require an appointment to sign any paperwork or to drop them off.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:14 AM   #45
Patriot86

Quote:
Recently, due to "higher than normal volumes" NJ NICS no longer accepts phone calls, they only take the info via fax, which goes into a pile and they do them as they were received. This started around mid-January and continues with no relief in sight.
Someone needs to file a lawsuit over this. Before you know it your Gov. Pillsbury will eliminate the NJ NCIS staff except for one 90 year old guy. I am surprised the gun grabbers havnt tried that yet actually.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:09 AM   #46
tynman

Patriot86 He is already sticking his nose in it. When all this craziness started he said on the radio that he dosnt understand why anyone needs an non resident concelled carring permit for. (CCW) I was going to look into it!!! So I went and took the class about a month ago so if he does screw that up I might be grandfathered in...
And with the lawsuit who has the money to fight the state if not backed by the NRA? I know I dont have the money... And that is why we just sit back and let them make up there own rules from diffrent town to town. As they see fit!!!

2ndsojourn did you get purchase permits and a firearms ID card also? If you got the FID card then I know they finger print you for that, but just the get your PPP I have never heard that before... But we are talking about NJ so nothing surpises me with these untouchable politicians in this state..
Old April 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #47
Patriot86

Hopefully the NRA or SAF choose to take on NJ soon is my point, the same type of "delay" has been going on in Colorado as well for some time now. I know that right now the NRA probably has "bigger" fish to fry like stopping a federal AWB or mag ban, but once it is painfully obvious nothing is going to happen with the current congress over the summer things will cool down and the focus will be back on the states.

I really wish you guys in NJ the best of luck, I hope someone picks up the ball and runs with it for you guys and soon so hopefully any lawsuit can get to the SCOTUS before Obama has a chance to appoint another justice.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #48
Dan F

In MD I had to wait a month in February for my WASR-10, but I'm pretty sure that was a MDSP delay, as the NICS check for the Mossberg 590 I picked up last week required only minutes to go through.

MD has both a 7-day waiting period for handguns/"assault weapons" and a 1/month statute. The fascinating thing is that MD also allows residents to become a "Designated Collector" (w/o a fee!) which permits you to obtain as many as you want (and can afford, I guess, but that's up to the D.C. ) whenever you want. It doesn't waive the 7-day wait, though. It can be frustrating to handle your new piece, then have to wait over a week to bring it home.

And I wonder if it occurs to any of our Beloved Leaders that a "cool off" period makes ZERO sense for someone that already has a gun.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #49
2ndsojourn

tynman, I applied for my FOID card and handgun permit at the same time and they were processed together. The fingerprinting was for the FOID card, not the handgun permit. The whole FOID card thing is a retarded redundancy. You go through the same background check for that, then every time you buy a gun you submit to the same background check. Now, though, you need a FOID card to buy ammo.

There's a bill pending in Trenton to change the FOID card (but I don't feel like looking it up right now) to a 5 year expiration (instead of a lifetime), charge somewhere around $100 for it, and have a photo.

What is the class you took for a concealed carry permit?
Old April 5, 2013, 01:59 PM   #50
tynman

Yeah I saw that bill a while ago and they want to make it a 5 year renewal with a picture. I didnt see for how much. I dont mind the picture cause its just another form of ID I can use but the 5 year thing is a little to much..... They just see dollar signs like everything else they do here in NJ.....

Why dont they make a marriage license expire after 10 years??? LOL