The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 28, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
HarrySchell

New CA Idea: State permit requirement to buy ammo or target shoot.

http://www.volokh.com/2012/12/26/up-...rget-shooting/

Discussion of the newest bright idea in CA to make shooting more onerous for the law-abiding and those of limited means.

The proposal is to require a annual permit from the state to buy ammo or go target shooting. The state could have up to 30 days to conduct a background check. Any one who goes to a range would need a permit. Being reimbursed by another for buying ammo would make a person a dealer in ammunition, requiring paperwork and another permit.

CA disarmament enthusiasts have worked diligently to make shooting as expensive and difficult as possible for the law-abiding as they can, and it will be interesting to see how their methods are adopted by other states of similar views.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Im from southern california as well, and this just drives me crazy.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 28, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
sigcurious

I didn't see mention of it in the article, is the proposed permit just for purchasing? or possession and purchasing? If it's just for purchasing, an accessories and ammo shop in Primm(and similar border towns) would be a mighty fine idea if that were to pass.

Two other considerations, what about people who want to hunt(from out of state) and does it cover mail-order purchases?
Old December 28, 2012, 02:25 PM   #4
HarrySchell

CA DOJ used to be very aggressive about going to border towns looking for CA license plates and arranging for a traffic stop and search for contraband when the resident returned to CA. Our current AG would certainly approve more resources for such interdiction if she could find them.

De Leon got a bill passed banning internet purchases in 2010, but it was thrown out of court for being so vague it was impossible to really know what ammo was involved. He was trying to rewrite the bill last year but it did not appear. I suspect the flaw was too broad to fix.

Will see what I can run down on other aspects mentioned.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Alabama Shooter

This is not a new idea.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:55 PM   #6
hermannr

And yet CA continues to elect gun grabbers to their legislature????? How come more gun owners are not politically active?
Old December 31, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Ben Towe

Quote:
And yet CA continues to elect gun grabbers to their legislature????? How come more gun owners are not politically active?
I would suspect that the population centers control the state legislature and they are typically very far left. Much the same way that Chicago imposes it's will over the rest of Illinois.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's stay off the left/right politics, please.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

He hasn't directly stated how, yet, but I have a relative in California that keeps saying he thinks ammunition ("bullets") should be "much, much, much tougher" for people to get.

As far as he's concerned, impossible to get would be perfectly acceptable as a "reasonable restriction". (He was previously in favor of the 500% ammo tax, as well.)

THAT, as we all know, is the problem with ambiguous terms like "reasonable restrictions"....
Old January 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Ben Towe

My apologies Tom. I should have worded that differently.