The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Sphawley

International Skeet

They are offering international skeet at my shooting club for the fisrt time, so I figured why not? I have to say as difficult as this was it was an absolute blast! I think i'm hooked, I can't wait to go back and keep trying this. This is something I want to perfect. The club is looking to run a league in September and I have to be in on the festivities!

I shot two rounds of this after some trap and the first round I did fairly decent holding my own, the range assitant threw a few of the clays out of order but it was oaky since we were both learning. The second round I tried starting from the hip like you are supposed to and my score was much lower. I will definetly have to practice this at the house mounting from my hip with a little more speed. Practice makes perfect. I shot with my Beretta AL390, I know this is predominately and O/U game but this is my main gun at the moment and I shoot pretty well with it.

Anyone else shoot international skeet? Tips, tricks, advice?
Old August 24, 2012, 08:10 AM   #2
oneounceload

I.S. is one of those games where the FIT we are always talking about here really comes into its own. That transition from hip to shoulder has to be smooth and seamless. If it isn't for you yet, practice that at home.

Are you also doing the up-to-three second delay? Adds another degree of difficulty.

IMO, you'll also learn to use more of your hips than before, so foot position is also important

Have fun and good luck!
Old August 24, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Sphawley

Yes we have also been playing with the 3 second delay, adds a whole new level of fun.

There will be lots of practice from the hip at the house, with those birds moving an extra 12mph you really have to precise. The hardest station for me has to #8 trying to get the gun up fast and get a round off in time was a huge challenge.

Is there a specific form or sequece on mounting from the hip in competition like this?
Old August 24, 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
oneounceload

I shoot mostly 5-stand and sporting, but I have some English friends (NEVER call them Brits!) who shoots skeet in the International style. If the squad is OK with it, he will actually get CLOSER to the house than the peg for practicing.
He has a firm grip on both the wrist and forearm and when he calls pull he is standing slight hunched forward so he uses his back and hips as he mounts and pulls the trigger. His superposed fits him to a tee, and he has always shot it this way, so years of practice make it work. The few times i have tried it with my 8.25#, 32" O/U, I am about 50% - premounted, I am about 98%, so my technique and fit aren't quite there, even if my reflexes are fast enough. We were NOT using the delay, this is just a warm-up for moving to the FITASC field

Good luck, IMO the International versions of skeet, trap, and sporting clays make our games seem like child's play