The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
deerslayer303

NEF Pardner

My wife bought me the Pardner Protector last year for Christmas. And after firiing it a bunch with slugs, roundball, buckshot, buck and ball, and a whole bunch of #8's. I REALLY like this shotgun. I can't find a thing wrong with it. And at 159.00 makes it all the better. Yeah its made in China, its heavy (but I kinda like that about it), but it seems to be built like a tank. I know its a loose knock off of an 870. Any of you have one of these? If so what has been your experience? I'm really thinking of buying the Field version of this gun, or just getting a field barrel for the Protector.
Old April 27, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

I have a couple of them I bought used, and they've been working just fine so far. A little shorter LOP stock as is standard on them works better for most folks, a 5-round magazine is a plus, and a plain jane bead sight riot gun is hard to beat IMHO.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 14, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
graysmoke

I own a New England Firearms (NEF) Pardner 12g pump with a 18.5" barrel, and its an awesome shotgun...It shoots all size shells with no problems.
I personally think it's better made than the Mossberg 500
For a home defence weapon...Best option.
Old August 14, 2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Noreaster

I have the same shotgun but I paid $10.00 more. It shoots slugs so accurately I mounted a scope on it and us it deer hunting. It out performs my Dept. Rem 870 shotguns in accuracy and dependability.
Old August 14, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5
SoilworK777

It's a great gun, as are the IAC shotguns. I have the Hawk 982. It operates more smoothly than the 870 Express.
Old August 14, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
old fart

is there a break in period for these guns?, i have one i haven't fired much and is still real tight. i have to slam the forarm up pretty fast or shells seem to want to stop before loading. thanks
Old August 14, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
graysmoke

It may need a slight lubrication on the two forearm rails...What size shells are you useing?... 3" shells sometimes needs stronger mechanics to load and eject.?

Last edited by graysmoke; August 14, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old August 14, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

Quote:
what has been your experience?
Mine's (Protector) been fine with both buckshot and slugs. I've read a LOT of internet gun blogs/forums and there is nearly universal praise for the Pardner Pump's performance. As a plain-jane workhorse, if one can get past the China thing it's a real value IMHO.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerPump.asp
Old August 14, 2012, 08:12 PM   #9
jmortimer

Mine was flawless. Remington/Marlin/H&R Pardner Pump is the best deal for the $$$. LGS says they sell a lot of them and no returns.
Old August 17, 2012, 12:37 AM   #10
PoorRichRichard

My shooting buddy has one, and it's awesome. Been tryin to get him to sell it to me for over a year.
Old August 17, 2012, 12:43 AM   #11
TheKlawMan

The biggest problem I have heard of it is the difficulty with getting an extra barrel. You are to send in the gun to the manufacturer to have it fitted.
Old August 19, 2012, 09:44 PM   #12
ddgrego

Hi old fart. i had similiar problems with mine and it got to where it wouldnt load hardly at all when almost new.My problem after much work on it and just observing the gun and thinking about the problem was the forearm.the 2 slide rods were brazed on incorrectly as it wasnt going in far enough to load shell.Remington finally sent me a new one after i sent them mine and after i installed the new one problem was gone! Shoots and works great now!