The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2000, 01:27 PM   #1
Mulio Rex

Can you remove the magazine from a mossberg 500? Im loath to torque on mine to see if It can be done....
If so can the magazine-barrel coassembly be replaced by one of a diffrent capacity?
For example can you put the barrel and magazine of a home defense model onto the reciever/action of a turkey gun??

Old December 9, 2000, 10:09 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Not positive whether they've changed manufacturing methods or not but on older Mossbergs the magazine tube unscrews from the receiver. All magazine tubes were the same, within the same gauge There is a special tool for the job but it can be done using standard hand tools, if you are careful as the metal tube is very thin and prone to crushing and destroying the threads.
The "magazine-barrel coassembly" is not an assembly. They can be replaced separately or both at the same time. The barrel is a simple 5 second changeover while the mag tube takes a couple of minutes. While you have the tube off you may also want to check your magazine tube spring cap. These can become distorted on some older guns, through usage.
Old December 9, 2000, 11:55 AM   #3
Mulio Rex

The barrel-magazine is a COassembly in the fact that it requires both items for the end product to function, and the tube and barrel are matched per capacity.
It would be an assembly if the two componets were a unit unto themselves. Production Control is my life

Thanks for the information.
Old December 9, 2000, 12:47 PM   #4
nedfig

The mag tube and barrel are 2 peices. The mag tube unscrews from the receiver. Mine was brand new and the mag unscrewed with hand pressure and came right out. If you have the 6 shot model, you can make it an 8 shot, but you have to replace the barrel, mag tube and spring. Or Vice Versa. If you have the 6 shot and want the 8 shot, e-mail me and we'll trade. I have been wanting to make mine a 6 shot. I've heard also that you can put the 590 barrel parts on the 500. I would love to have the "accessory" lug. All 500's are probably made on the same machines. I'm sure it would have cost way too much to retool for the same gun in a different configuration.
Old December 10, 2000, 11:26 PM   #5
swampgator

590/835

And to add fuel to the fire: The 835 and 590 are interchangeable (Barrel/Tubes).

All mossberg pumps are built on the same receiver per caliber. You could change a walnut stocked 26" vent-rib sporter into one of those nasty 20" nine-shot (oh my god! is that a) bayonet lugged "social" use shotguns!

All of the above is trivial however. To my knowledge Mossy doesn't sell the 590 tubes or barrels as parts (or at least they didn't via website last time I checked).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gator
Old December 11, 2000, 09:23 AM   #6
nedfig

Mossberg doesn't sell the parts but Gun Parts Corp. does. The 590 barrel, mag tub, bayonet lug and spring is about $130.
Old December 11, 2000, 11:10 PM   #7
swampgator

$130?

Let's see: $195 for the 500 (Persuader)
130 for the barrel, tube and spring
-----
$325 for the 500/590 "Frankengun"

What's the going rate for a 590 these days?

Gator
Old December 12, 2000, 09:53 AM   #8
nedfig

that sounds about right