The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Irish80prf

My bolt is hard to close on some reloads?

Ok so I have been reloading some once fired .243 brass and I'm having trouble closing the bolt on some of my reloads. I full length sized all the brass and went through all of the normal steps. trimmed, de-burred, cleaned the primer pockets, primed, added powder then seated bullet to 2.600". I'm shooting a savage 111 that has only been shot about 100 times and it's good and clean. When I started reloading the shells I checked to make sure they would chamber fine and they did. After I got done with 250 shells I went to test some out and about 9 out of 50 are really hard to close the bolt. What could be the problem? I can't find any pattern as to why they won't chamber well. I checked the shoulders and it doesn't look like they have been pushed back to far. Maybe I'm missing something simple here but I'm at a loss. Thanks for any help. Oh I can get the bolt shut on all of them it's just really stiff, should I avoid shooting any of these rounds or will they fire form to my chamber after I shoot them.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:15 PM   #2
kraigwy

This is common in gas guns. Get a Case Gage, that messures the case from the rim to the shoulder. Use this gage to set up your sizing die. They are reliatively in-expensive and worth their weight in gold for gas guns.

Sounds like you are not setting the shoulder back far enough.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=653047
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 6, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Quote:
Sounds like you are not setting the shoulder back far enough.
What he said. Screw your size die in another quarter turn.

Quote:
Get a Case Gage
These are OK if you wanna make generic ammo that should fit in every 243Win ever made. If you want a custom shoulder bump, get one of these.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:49 PM   #4
50-BMG

I have just started reloading 300win doe's anybody reload that and if you do what is the best load if you don't mind me asking.Im shooting the rem700 sendero with hevy barrel.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:53 PM   #5
kraigwy

whats the BEST load for my gun may not be the best load for your rifle.

I would recommend you get a Good reloading manual (or several). Find one that list the "most accurate load", start with that, then tweque your loads to fit your gun.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6
50-BMG

Thanks kraig for your help.Sould i stay off the high grain loads like rigth now im loading 168 grains just to get a fill for things and i think the starting grain for that bullet was 71 and the max was 75 is it ok to load the 75 grain or is it better to to stay back.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:11 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

50-BMG I would recomend starting at the start load, and working up slowly. Most of the rifle loaders usualy work up 1 tenth of a grain at a time. Watch for sighns of high pressure, and back off the powder charge at sighns of pressure.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
50-BMG

Thanks M&P for your help like i sad im just geting started. How do you now when you are getting to much pressure what should i look for.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:33 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
This is common in gas guns. Get a Case Gage, that messures the case from the rim to the shoulder. Use this gage to set up your sizing die. They are reliatively in-expensive and worth their weight in gold for gas guns.
Gas guns? The Savage 111 is a bolt action rifle.

Something happened while you were seating the bullets. You may be too close to the crimping area of your seater. A couple of cases that didn't get trimmed completely ran into the crimper shoulder, it buckled the case right at the shoulder/case junction. It's real hard to see, but it causes hard closing of the bolt.

Forcing the bolt closed, then firing the shell, will fire form the cases back where they belong. BUT it causes wear on the bolt lugs, don't do it often.Start by backing the seater die off a full turn, then adjust the seater back to where you want the bullet seated.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 6, 2010, 08:47 PM   #10
kraigwy

I'm aware that he was talking about a bolt gun, however you can still fail to property set the sizing die for loading bolt guns also.

Using a case gage to set up your sizing die makes, consistant, propertly sized cases, be it gas or bolt gun. Conistancy = Accuracy
Old June 6, 2010, 10:09 PM   #11
Irish80prf

Thanks guys I will check out the things you suggested to see what I come up with. I used a lee case trimmer so they should all be short enough but I'll double check. If it's not a case that is to long why would it only be doing it on part of the loads and not all of them? I've always neck sized so full length is kind of new to me so I guess I'm learning as I go.
Old June 6, 2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Toddco

Is it also possible that the ammunition you make are to long? Maybe you are pushing the bullet in to the lands, have you looked to see if there are marks on you bullets if you take one that is tight out again after chambering.
Old June 6, 2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Irish80prf

That's one of the first things I thought of. I thought maybe my C.O.L got off but it is still right at 2.600" which is the COL off of Hodgdon's website for the 65 grain V-Max. I've reloaded for my .243 with everything the same except I was using brass that had been shot out of my gun so I only had to neck size it. I trimmed all my brass with the same trimmer so that's why I'm thinking I have my full length sizer set up wrong.

Thanks
Old June 7, 2010, 02:50 PM   #14
mrawesome22

Quote:
I've always neck sized so full length is kind of new to me so I guess I'm learning as I go.
Right there is your problem. After a few firings using a neck only size die they will become EXTREMELY hard to chamber. This is from the brass springing back less and less. It's time for you to get a FL die or a shoulder bump neck die.
Old June 7, 2010, 06:17 PM   #15
Irish80prf

Bumped the shoulder back a touch more and the shells are chambering smooth as silk. Thanks for all of the help guys another lesson learned.