The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1
DogoDon

PAST Shooting Gloves- Opinions?

I was browsing the internet for something to make long shooting sessions more comfortable, and saw the PAST Professional Shooting Gloves (e.g., see here). The reviews of them are almost universally good. Anybody here ever try them? Do they help with comfort?

DogoDon
Old March 5, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I don't care much at all for gloves; unless they are for protection I never wear them. Not to speak ill of these, but I guess I just don't see the point.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:47 PM   #3
DogoDon

The main point would be to give some cushioning to absorb some of the recoil energy. After putting 100 rounds through my new Ruger SP101 last week, the area where the backstrap contacts my hand was feeling a little bruised. I thought these gloves might help. I'd probably use them only if I were doing a lot of shooting with a hard-kicking gun.
Old March 5, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Bluesfan

I have been useing a PAST glove for years.It really makes a difference when shooting the big bores and magnums.They do make the gun fit differently in your hand but you will get used to it.
Old March 6, 2010, 12:16 AM   #5
DogoDon

Thanks Bluesfan. So I assume you haven't had any trouble with the gloves tearing or anything, like some of the reviewers reported?

What about fit? Is it true they tend to run small?

DogoDon
Old March 10, 2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Bluesfan

Nope.No rips or tears but I've only had my glove for about 10 years
They do seem to run a little on the small side but they need to fit snug to work properly. They are leather and will break in quickly.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:01 PM   #7
oldone

Getting old and hands are arthretic (sp), and I love shooting. Yes I wear gloves with the fingers open like the gloves shown in the begining post. They do help in longer range shooting time, gets rid of the tingeling feeling.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:42 AM   #8
maierar

Gloves

I recently got the gloves you mentioned. They are very good. They do just what you would want and no more (good cushioning, good grip and "feel") without hands getting too hot and sweaty. I haven't had them long enough to give a reliable durability report.
My only beef is Midway's exorbitant shipping charges.
Old March 12, 2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Don't like gloves when I am shooting but when shooting the 44 or 41 mag after not shooting them for awhile I put both gloves on and shoot with both and then either hand. Saves me from bleeding and bruises, especially when shooting one handed with the weak hand. Those Past gloves have never left my shooting bag or box in over 10 years and if its cold out when I am hunting with either of those two handguns they definitely are worn. Not for the warmth but for the grip and the padding.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--