The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
bgdv1

5.56 question

any one have any problems with rcbs dies in 223 enlarging the primer firing hole while resizing. i was trying to resize brass ( IK 07 headstamp )and breaking decapping pins. picked up a lee universal decapper and things worked good. when looking at the few that were deprimed with the rcbs the primer firing holes were enlarged. if you take the sizer stem out and set it against a decapped (lee)case the decapper pin from the rcbs will not push thru the case. these dies were my father in laws and after breaking the pin in the sizer i ordered a new updated sizer stem from rcbs and xtra decapper pins for it.
Old July 18, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Never has any problems like you describe with my RCBS .223 dies (I have 2 .223 RCBS decapping/sizing dies). My guess is that the wrong pin is in the decapping rod. RCBS makes two size pins, large and small. A .223 should have small pins installed. Sounds like you have a large pin in it or a piece of metal used to replace the pin that is not the appropriate diameter. NOw that a large pin has been jammed into the rod, I am betting the proper size pin will not longer fit. You probably need a new rod. Email RCBS technical support and they will mail you a free new rod (probably the new style) and extra pins.
Old July 18, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
bgdv1

ive done that all ready, and the new rod and pins are like the other. could they have goofed and sent the wrong ones ?
Old July 18, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Jim243

Are you trying to decap Mil spec cases (5.56) if yes then the primers are crimped into the case and are harder to remove. If you are using Wolf or Chinese ammo the be careful that they are BOXER primers and not BERDAM again are they 5.56 or .223 it makes a difference.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:20 PM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Crimped primers will not cause the pin to break. The amount of additional force required is not substantial.

Assuming you have the correct rod, it can be only a few things:

1. Berdan primed brass, which you might as well throw away.
2. Bent rod or pin, but this sounds unlikely if it is a new rod and pins.
3. Not lubricated properly. I am assuming the brass is lubed but if not, sizing the brass will be very difficult and you may well brake some pins while forcing in.

I would be surprised if RCBS sent the wrong rod, my experience with them has always been excellent.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I've never had and IK brass, so I don't know if it tends toward the small size? I would apply a micrometer to both the Lee and the RCBS pins and see how they compare? I would also try the RCBS with a range foundling that is some other brand; one picked up at the range, if necessary?

If it turns out your pin is substantially bigger than the Lee, I would call RCBS back again and ask what theirs is supposed to be?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 20, 2009, 10:42 PM   #7
bfoosh006

I'm pretty sure....IK '07 5.56 brass has smaller than average primer holes, you'll have to polish your decapping stem to a smaller diameter.(Or drill the the flash hole first,without going through the primer, and then use your "standard" decapper.)
the bit size to drill out the flash hole to a "normal"/mil-spec size(.080,+.004for 5.56). Get a "#46" (.081) drill bit, if you are lucky a standard 5/64" (.0781)bit will work close enough.

IMG,Hirt, and a few others also have small flash holes.

FWIW, the large rifle flash holes are smaller, .078 +.004
Old July 21, 2009, 03:02 PM   #8
bgdv1

thank you bfoosh006, ive been racking my brain trying to figure this out. ive been reloading for 28+ years now and this had me stumped. i will enlarge the firing holes in these cases then i will be looking for a different brand to add more rounds. this brass was free from a nra shoot me and my son attended.
Old July 22, 2009, 12:29 AM   #9
bfoosh006

Happy to help !