The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Greguw

I'm in the market for a Cruiser

Hey Guys , I'm in the market for a mossberg cruiser . I see the cruiser come with pistol grip and standard long stock with crown flash suppressor . Dose ATF consider the pistol grip version a hand gun . I would like to be able to swap between pistol grip and long stock .
Thanks guys
Old March 28, 2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Superhouse 15

ATF

Without debating the merits of a pistol grip only shotgun....

Yes, if you buy a pistol grip only shotgun from an FFL dealer, it is considered a handgun purchase. You must be 21 instead of 18. If it has the stock on it, but includes a pistol grip in the package, it's a shotgun and you must be 18 to purchase. You could in theory be 18, buy the shotgun, switch out the stock for a pistol grip while in the store, and leave with it pistol grip only legally. There are not (yet) any restrictions on you changing back and forth between a stock and a pistol grip. Like many things ATF, it makes no or limited sense.
Old March 28, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
wjkuleck

Can we have a cite for this assertion? When I purchased my JIC, it was an ordinary shotgun. There's no mention that I can find in the regs that refers to the necessity of a buttstock, only a minimum overall length.

In point of fact, smoothbore pistols are NFA weapons; that's why you can't get a .410 barrel for your Thompson-Center Contender pistol. T-C got into some controversy with the ATF over their .45/.410 barrel, in fact, and had to leave the rifling in (they did something clever, but the rifling technically remained).

So in the absence of the citation of specific legislation or regulation, I must respectfully disagree.

Regards,

Walt
PS In this, as in all things, I reserve the right to be wrong.
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old March 28, 2009, 11:57 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NEGATIVE!!!! The PGO shotgun is a shot gun! Sold as a shotgun under fed laws... local communist jurisdictions may say different though.
Brent
Old March 28, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Yes, if you buy a pistol grip only shotgun from an FFL dealer, it is considered a handgun purchase."

No, no it is not.

As for the shotgun itself, using a pistolgrip shotgun is NOT an easy thing to do without a fair amount of practice.

Most people tend to shoot high to VERY high with them when they first start using them.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2009, 12:44 PM   #6
colostomyclown

My .02 on a PGO shotgun - EXTREME defensive weapon. VERY poor for actually engaging someone let alone multiple threats...but if all your worried about is PURE defense and escape/mobility, I think it has it's niche.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:03 PM   #7
4INCHSMITH

I was 19 when I bought my Maverick 88 and it was PGO, it did not come with a full stock either. However, my particular model met/exceeded the minimum legal overall length for a shotgun and the barrel is a touch over 18" not including the chamber.
I have since added a top-folding stock to it because i got tired of shooting the ground 15 yds in front of me.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:51 PM   #8
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
Yes, if you buy a pistol grip only shotgun from an FFL dealer, it is considered a handgun purchase. You must be 21 instead of 18. If it has the stock on it, but includes a pistol grip in the package, it's a shotgun and you must be 18 to purchase. You could in theory be 18, buy the shotgun, switch out the stock for a pistol grip while in the store, and leave with it pistol grip only legally. There are not (yet) any restrictions on you changing back and forth between a stock and a pistol grip. Like many things ATF, it makes no or limited sense.
From my understanding of federal laws, this is not the case at all. I have run into several places however, that use the exact same thing as thier store policy. Even though it's not federal law, Academy Sports and Outdoors (at least the one in Sherwood, AR) uses this as their policy.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Greguw

Thanks guys , I was looking for a cheap house shotgun that I can tuck away ... I had a JIC back in the day and did not remember if it was classified as a hand gun .

Thanks again
Old March 29, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Superhouse 15

PGO

This was what we got at our last FFL compliance inspection. Believe me or don't, it came from the ATF examiner. 21 and up for a pistol grip only, 18 and up for a stock. According to The Man, it is designed to be fired from the shoulder with a stock, with one hand with a pistol grip. That makes it a "handgun" to them. It doesn't have to make sense. You can call them and ask if you like.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:24 AM   #11
amd6547

The "Man" is wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time they shot from the lip about something they don't know the answer to.
A smoothbore cartridge firing pistol is an NFA regulated item, period.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Lee Lapin

Hollyweird strikes again...

lpl