The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1
matthew temkin

Lasers For Police?

A friend of mine feels that the standard issue of lasers for LEO's would slow down the rate of fire by police ( as in # of shots) and increase the hit ratio.
Quite frankly I am a bit skeptical about a laser's durability and about it's desireablity in extreme close range gunfights.
For that I favor point shooting and I am concerned that having the officer look for a laser before shooting could prove fatal.
Then again, I have played with them and find them a good thing for longer ranges and for use when behind cover.
I have heard that a laser is hard to pick up in daylight and some SWAT frinds have told me that seeing 5-8 laser dots on a perp makes it hard to know just which dot is yours.
When I asked my friend which laser product he would recommend he said the Crimson trace, since there are rumors that the Laser Max can malfunction and jam the gun.
Opinions?
Old March 16, 2007, 11:17 PM   #2
stanger04

They could help in certain situations and hurt in others. I think they would be a good tool that an officer could add to his equipment. If officers relied on one technique they would be in trouble, the more they have the better they can do their job.
Old March 16, 2007, 11:32 PM   #3
SeaMariner

Quote:
and some SWAT frinds have told me that seeing 5-8 laser dots on a perp makes it hard to know just which dot is yours.
hahahahaha....

Never even thought about that before... I guess the next thing would be to teach everyone to wiggle their laser in a different manner so they could tell whose was whose..
Old March 17, 2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Skyguy

I can't imagine myself 'not' having a Lasergrip on a self defense handgun.

They rule indoors, at night and in low light...from awkward positions, over, under and around cover.
They rule from the hip, retention or anywhere below sight level and they excel at 'weak hand' accuracy. They are a godsend for the infirm, the aged and those with poor eyesight.

Point shooting will always dominate in "extreme close range gunfights". Iron sights work best in long range shooting.
Lasergrips are the outstanding sighting system in the rest of the gunfight range.

This is 21st century technology and I remain disappointed by how many current trainers have failed to incorporate Lasergrips into their training.

Below are a few unpaid, world renowned Master Trainers who recommend, carry, use and train with Lasergrips.
Please note their credentials.

Jim Cirillo: LE Trainer, Author, Retired NYPD and US Customs, 17-0 Record Against Armed Felons
Ken Hackathorn: International Small Arms Instructor and Consultant
Mike Dalton: IDPA Steel Challenge Champion, Police Officer and Director of International Shootists Institute
Ernest Langdon: President, Langdon Tactical Technologies, IDPA Champion and USMC Sniper Instructor
Todd Jarrett: World Champion Shooter, International Military / LE Trainer
Massad Ayoob: World Renowned Firearms Instructor / Self Defense Expert
Larry Vickers: FBI, NRA, Secret Service certified firearms instructor, Master Trainer, Master Shooter, Founding member (IDPA), Vickers System
Old March 17, 2007, 07:45 AM   #5
STLRN

I cannot speak so much for a civilian or LEO application, but I know overseas the green lasers have saved allot of Iraqis from getting shot. They may ignore other things in the escalation of force drill, but when you snake the laser on their wind shield or across their face. The get the point real quick.
Old March 21, 2007, 02:45 PM   #6
David Armstrong

Quote:
For that I favor point shooting and I am concerned that having the officer look for a laser before shooting could prove fatal.
Actually, Matt, the laser should not change the dynamics of point shooting at all.
Quote:
I have heard that a laser is hard to pick up in daylight and some SWAT frinds have told me that seeing 5-8 laser dots on a perp makes it hard to know just which dot is yours.
If it is hard to pick up (and usually it isn't) you just use your other sights if needed. As for it being hard to know which dot is yours, that is one of the exercises we did in training. It is not a problem. First, if all the dots are on the target it doesn't matter. Second, if there is an issue, it is very easy to ID which dot is yours with a little training.
Old March 21, 2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Samurai

Quote:
some SWAT frinds have told me that ...
Ahhh! But the point is, the SWAT guys HAVE THEM. If the SWAT guys have them, then that must mean that they're helpful in some way. So, why not give them to cops? If the particular situation isn't favorable for using a laser, then the cop can revert back to the old-fashioned iron sites. But, what can it hurt???

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old March 21, 2007, 04:44 PM   #8
matthew temkin

Thanks, Dave.
I am sorry that I can't make it to the ATC this year.
Perhaps our paths will cross one day..
Old March 21, 2007, 08:00 PM   #9
David Armstrong

Any time, Matt. I had hoped to see you there this year, and had planned on going, but my daughter politely informed me last week that She is graduating from high school that week and if I'm not there for that she would shoot me herself. Oh well, maybe next year!
Old March 21, 2007, 11:01 PM   #10
matthew temkin

My friend and I are going next year..no matter where it is.
I taught a point shooting class for IALEFI's ATC two years ago in Reno and had a great time.