The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 1999, 12:54 AM   #26
Grayfox

MRE's came long after I left but I do remember C-rats. I liked 'em. Used to lay them up on the intake manifold for a while to heat them up.
Ed- you've got it all wrong. The peanut butter was for heating the instant coffee!
Now how many of you are scratching your heads trying to figure that one out?
Old January 18, 1999, 04:02 PM   #27
David

Hey, you guys forgot the gorilla cookies!

Do you remember?
Old January 20, 1999, 01:12 AM   #28
Ed Brunner

Grayfox;Here's a war story.I was in Vietnam with a South Korean Infantry Regiment and few Koreans used the C Ration coffee. So every morning one of the Korean troops would present me with a bunch of the coffee packs. Very Oriental-with both hands extended and much bowimg by both of us.

These were the same troops who woke me on Christmas Eve singing Christmas Caroles.

And who had the biggest body count.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Old January 22, 1999, 08:09 AM   #29
Shooting1911

I'm currently stationed at Osan AB in the ROK. During every 4-day exercise, we eat MREs. I love 'em. Some of my troops complain a little, but then eat them. I suspect its more a matter of societal tradition to complain about any "institutional" food. Get any group of people together and give them meals they had no say in selecting or preparing and they'll complain. Kinda like complaining about hospital food or about about taxes. I really do think MREs are quite tasty, balanced, and a lot of variety. They never plug me up, but then I intentionally push a lot of fluids because we "suck a lot of rubber" (gas masks) during the exercises and sweat like pigs. I figure I'm lucky...what do ANY of our enemies have to eat or wear as protective equipment. I'm the luckiest man I know...no whinin'
Old January 23, 1999, 12:55 AM   #30
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Ok, I can't find my BQ catalog.

Anyone know of a cheap, reliable source for MRE's?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old January 23, 1999, 03:10 AM   #31
Grayfox

Spark-
Cheaper than dirt has them. They have a contract with the manufactuer to make them up special just for them. Price is $49.95 per case of 12.
Old January 23, 1999, 10:52 AM   #32
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Eureka!?
Grayfox, I wonder if you have the necessary info to do us a *great* service. I was apprised that the MRE's on which I originally based this thread do not meet military nutritional stds. I am looking for those that do.

If you can shed some light on this, many of us would benefit from a new thread on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
Rich
Old January 23, 1999, 10:26 PM   #33
Grayfox

Sorry Rich, all I have is whats on the catalog. According to it CTD's version is made by the same manufactuer as US issue MREs. But, CTD has a 10 oz entree instead of govt 8oz and entree is packed in polymer tray instead of a bag. Other than that it's supposed to be the same as military stuff.

Just ordered a case. When it arrives I'll start a new thread and tell you what I think of them

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited 01-23-99).]
Old January 25, 1999, 01:28 PM   #34
Floyd2U

Rule for eating the new style MRE's: Don't eat the M&M's! The chocolate just doesn't age well. They may be safe to eat, but the flavor has left the building. Give me that maple nut cake anyday...
Old January 25, 1999, 05:51 PM   #35
sskraft

And to think that no one spooke of the treasured fruit cocktail found in the C's. Man that was worth gold in the field. Another thing the C's have over the MRE's was being able to mix a couple of ingredients and come up with PUDDING! Takes me back.
Old January 29, 1999, 08:44 PM   #36
Mark THG

I'm glad for the review. I've been thinking of picking up a couple of cases this spring. My wife says why ? I said Y2K not! only real problem is here in south Texas it's real hot and I'm concerned with storage.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
[email protected]

Old February 2, 1999, 03:49 AM   #37
Matt K

Ok, I give in. How do ya use peanut butter to heat coffe or whatever from the C's?

matt
Old February 2, 1999, 10:33 AM   #38
Grayfox

Matt,
It's been so long since I made that crack, I'd almost forgotten it. Ok, the peanut butter in C-rats came in little flat cans. This stuff had been in storage so long that the peanut oil had seperated and floated to the top. Guess what? Peanut oil will burn just like alcohol. So, open the can, strike a match- Presto! instant stove! The really great thing is that when you're through with it, you can still eat the peanut butter. Ain't it wonderful to learn new things?
Old February 9, 1999, 12:46 AM   #39
Grayfox

Ok, I promised a review of Cheaper than dirt's MRE's. I ordered a case via internet about two weeks ago. I called today to check on my order and they never got it. Dumb computer! (or maybe dumb computer operator). Reordered today, report still coming. Sorry about the delay.
Old February 9, 1999, 05:45 PM   #40
PCurrent

sskraft,
We mix "Ranger Pudding" from MREs. Coffee, creamer, sugar, coccoa powder, and water. I heard of a couple other "recipes", but forgot them.
-PCurrent
Old February 9, 1999, 10:48 PM   #41
[email protected]
Wise Guy

PCurrent:

Here's a couple:
Water, cocoa mix, crackers, sugar, coffee.
Water, jelly spread, applesauce, crackers, beverage powder (not cocoa), sugar, fruit cocktail/dehydrated fruit.

Pretty good stuff....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old February 18, 1999, 11:21 PM   #42
Walt Welch

What about cigarettes?? I always used to crack up when I would slip a few WWII C-rat ciggies into my dad's pack. I never smoked.

Walt
Old February 22, 1999, 05:04 PM   #43
Mike Spight

MREs..yum, yum. Like the other old guys who witnessed the transition, I still preferred the taste and utility of C-rats. Nothing can beat a can of beans and weenies heated up on an engine manifold or over a smidgen of burning C4...those of us who served in the brown water navy (they call them Special Boat Units now) found another use for the peanut butter...the bilge pumps in our boats had a grease cap fitting, and we were supposed to re-fill them every few days so the pumps wouldn't burn up. When out of the heavy grease, the peanut butter worked just fine. My favorite all time C-rat was ..."turkey OR chicken, boned...". We called it "mystery bird...". Figured that if the maker didn't know which one it was, it must be a mystery. Ham and eggs (chopped) weren't bad either if heated and with a generous load of tabasco...got to stop...getting all misty eyed and sentimental...good thing about MREs is they don't make noise carrying them and they aren't heavy!
Old February 26, 1999, 10:27 PM   #44
PCurrent

They're really bulky though.