The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 1, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
D_Anton

Total Cost of Owning a Converted Glock 17?

What would be the "estimated" cost of owning a converted Glock 17? I know there is Certain issues and fee's with the ATF that have to be sorted out beforehand but around what would the total cost be?
Old July 1, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Can't be done. No new machineguns to civilians after 1986.
Old July 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
PTK

The estimated cost would be $50,000+ to find one of the few on the registry that is for sale. From what I understand there are under 10 transferable G17s.
Old July 1, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

It helps if we can understand exactly what item you're referring to:
  • A Glock 18, of which there are only a few that were on the registry prior to May 1986.
  • A registered Glock 17 conversion kit, which is nearly as rare.
  • Actually converting one from scratch, which is illegal.

To the best of my knowledge, the number of registered, transferable Glock 18's is in the single digits. The conversion kits appear to only exist as dealer samples or LEO units, but I've heard there are a couple of legal ones in the wild.

There is no avenue to legally convert a contemporary firearm to full-auto from scratch for individual ownership. None. Full stop.
Old July 4, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
mboylan

There are absolutely zero transferable transferable full auto Glocks in the registry. The above comments are just repeating internet myths. You cannot legally possess one.

If you were a licensed manufacturer of Title II arms, your company could own one.
Old July 4, 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
mboylan There are absolutely zero transferable transferable full auto Glocks in the registry. The above comments are just repeating internet myths. You cannot legally possess one.
Do you have a source for that info?

Quote:
If you were a licensed manufacturer of Title II arms, your company could own one.
You don't need to be a manufacturer (07FFL). Any dealer (01FFL) with an SOT and a demo letter can own one.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE