The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 28, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
jlynne3662

Replacement Key(s) for Rossi .38 Special

Looking fir a set of replacement keys that lock the Rossi .38 Special Model # R35102 to keep it from firing. I've had it locked up in a gun safe until recently, the glass in the door was broken out, now I'm just looking for a new set of keys for it to keep it locked while not in use. Have several children, even though they are not allowed in my bedroom where gun is kept. Better safe than sorry. Never liked keeping it locked before because in the event of an intruder, who really has time to get the keys, unlock and it etc?? Also, for the life of me, I don't understand why gun cabinet makers insist on building cabinets with glass doors.
Old December 28, 2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Andy Taylor

I havn't seen a NEW glass door gun cabinet in years. The idea was that the guns were display pieces, and maybe to keep your kids from getting them. They would never stop a thief.
I would contact Rossi for a new key.
Old December 28, 2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Colonel Custer

Replacement keys

E-mail Taurus for one they make the same key. I own a Taurus .38 and a Rossi .357 mag. they both use the Taurus key and are interchangeable. With children in the house I would consider buying actual trigger locks. Though you may be lucky to live in an area where your local sherrifs dept. gives out free gun locks, mine does.

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old December 28, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Gazpacho

The "key" should be an ordinary 2.5 mm security hex bit. It's just an allen key with a hole in the center. You can find them in most good hardware stores. When you are done eith it, you can toss them in your toolbox.

Edit: I may have mis-spoken when I said "hex bit". The second sentence is much more accurate.
Old December 29, 2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Webleymkv

If you want a cheap and easy way to secure a DA revolver, simply do as follows. Go to your local hardware store and get a rubber coated padlock. Open the cylinder of the revolver and lock the padlock around the topstrap. This renders the revolver completely incapable of firing because the cylinder cannot close and put a cartridge into battery.
Old December 30, 2011, 10:49 AM   #6
tet4

I think using the key for a HD weapon is not a great idea. Or a trigger lock or a padlock, or anything else that hinders you from using the gun. I also don't advocate leaving it out for intruders or children to get it. Instead of getting a replacement key, I would recommend you get a quick access handgun safe like sentry or gunvault. No key, 2 second access. What isn't there to like?

If you have kids, go to corneredcat.com and read about guns and kids.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
10 Beers

Quote:
Edit: I may have mis-spoken when I said "hex bit". The second sentence is much more accurate.
You were right the first time, Allen is a brand. "Hex key" is most accurate, the screws are refered to as "socket head" and I hate when people use them on grips. If slots were good enough for Colts they're good enough for all guns.

Tags
.38 revolver , .38 special , handgun , revolver , rossi