The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
TXGunNut

TL or Lube Grooove?

I was ready to order some Lee 200 gr 45ACP boolit moulds with conventional lube groves until I read a post here recently. Now I'm thinking TL moulds. I'll be loading for practice loads in carry guns, not target guns, but I'm fascinated by accuracy, whether it be from a Colt 45 Defender or a Winchester Super Grade. Already have a .451 sizer die. Haven't shot Outdoor Pistol in years but can't rule it out, old Series 70 still has it even if I don't.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; November 9, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old November 10, 2010, 12:48 AM   #2
chris in va

I have a Lee 230gr TL mold if you're interested. Has about 500 through it.
Old November 10, 2010, 07:32 AM   #3
hornady

As a rule of thumb cast bullets should be .001 over bore diameter, so in your 45 ACP that would be .452, a lot has to do with the lube mold you are talking about, if it’s a Lee push threw, I would go with the Tumble lube Mold, But then again a lot has to do with the gun its self. I have bought and sold dies to get a bullet the gun liked.
I use a Lyman lube/seizer, and have found very few Lee molds that work to my standards; with the Lyman L/S. this is not bashing Lee molds.
An example of this, recently I was working up a 45 Colt bullet, I opted for a lee 250 grain Lee mold, and they shot very well. But with the Lyman 450, two things are needed. One deep lube grooves, and also a larger base, which Lee has neither. So I ended up buying a Lyman mold, problem solved.
I know several guys that use Tumble lube with the standard non- tumble lube Lee molds with good results.
I am not a fan of the Alox lube, just to tacky for me, I have cut it with mineral spirits and it works better.
But it’s all in what works for you and the gun.

Last edited by hornady; November 10, 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old November 10, 2010, 07:43 AM   #4
hornady

Brain freeze this morning, for some reason I referred to a mold as a Die, sorry I need another cup of Coffee.
Old November 10, 2010, 07:52 AM   #5
rwilson452

I have the Lee TL452-200-SWC I found that I can lube them and shoot them without sizing, very accurate out of my series 80 Colt ( 1991A1). At least more accurate than I am. I cut the Lee alox 50/50 with mineral spirits no leading.

Sadly, my XD won't eat SWC.
Old November 10, 2010, 09:56 AM   #6
grumpa72

My experience is very similar to rwilson452 - Series 80 1991 Commander and Government and they both love the Lee 200 SWC with Rooster Jacket lube - http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html (scroll down a bit). I had considered Alox but the RJ has just as many followers as Alox. My Lee molds do a very nice job of casting and they are perfect for my Colts.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7
hornady

The cheapest and best place I have found to buy lube, the Alox or stick has been White Label. and he is a good guy to deal with, i use his lube in everything from 9MM to 3006, good lube, and if you need help with a lube problem he will e-mail you back .
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html
Old November 10, 2010, 09:48 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Just checked, sizer is .452". I'd like to avoid sizing for ACP loads but not totally opposed to it if it will produce a better bullet. Lyman sizer is full of SPG so will use it if I use a grooved bullet.
Kinda leaning a bit further towards the TL boolit, thanks for the input. Will read the chapters in Richard Lee's manual and see what he says on the subject.
Old November 11, 2010, 07:57 AM   #9
hornady

TX
Bullet to barrel fit is the key to everything in cast bullets, and the only way to know what that is, would be to slug the barrel, and this sounds harder than it is.
You will find hundreds of how to slug a barrel on the net.
Lee states with their molds (may not need sized), but there are many factors that play in to this. Alloy will change the as cast diameter of a bullet. The more pure lead the smaller the bullet. Add Tin and the as cast diameter increases. But the actual bore diameter is also a major factor in determining the right size die.
In the Lyman Cast bullet book with most Lyman molds they recommend a mix that is called a Lyman #2. On the plus side clip on W/W are very close to the Lyman #2.
But as I said in an earlier post, if you are not shooting a lot, and don’t mind cleaning some lead out of the barrel you may get away with just cast, lube and load.
One thing I should warn you of that you might already know. Lead build up in the Barrel not only messes up accuracy, but also increases presser and can be Dangerous. I am not trying to scare you off from casting; it saves you money and adds a whole new aspect to shooting. But just like reloading if done properly it is very safe, if not it can be a bad day in the neighborhood.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:47 PM   #10
TXGunNut

You're right, hornady. Poor old Series 70 has had many thousands of rounds of .452 cast bullets down it's barrel. No need to slug this old girl, I know what she likes.
She's never picked up much lead either, little sister is almost as slick. Just happen to have a pretty good pile of WW ingots and plan on giving them a try soon, guess I better get a mould on order.