The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 6, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Greg Bell

M16--what to look for.

Hey guys,

I am about to take the plunge on a RR M16. I really don't want to screw up with this type of coin on the line. I want a full auto gun, and I want it to be in good shape. Do the old A1 Colt's have any issues? Should I be concerned about the age of the receiver (metalurgy?)

Any tips appreciated!
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old April 7, 2008, 03:40 PM   #2
VUPDblue

The Colts are some of the best out there and the most desirable. If I were you, the first question I would ask of myself would be "do I want a shooter or a looker". If the answer is the latter, then the Colt would be the right choice, assuming it is actually an M16A1 and not an SP1 conversion. If the answer is the former, then you have plenty of other, less pricy, options. I just took the same plunge and I haven't regretted a dime of it. I ended up with a very nice Sendra lower with an SP1 upper. My gun currently is out for repair, as I am having the engraving touched-up and the whole thing re-anodized to current mil-spec regs.
Old April 7, 2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

I went with the all original Colt M16A1. There is no real worry about the metalurgy. The receiver isn't really subject to all of the heat and the physical wear that the uppers go through. Since you can replace every component but the receiver, the gun should last for decades.
Old April 23, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Chipperman

I went with a Sendra also. I wanted a gun to shoot the heck out of, not a safe queen. If I scratch mine, I just shrug. I'd be a lot more paranoid if it were a more expensive Colt, but maybe you would not have that problem.
Old April 23, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5
VUPDblue

I am having my Sendra re-worked right now, well almost anyway. I sent it out to M60Joe 10 days ago. He still doesn't have it and the Post Office can't tell me anything. I hope they don't lose it
Old April 23, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6
Chipperman

I'd be flipping out right now. I'm sure it will turn out fine.
You did insure it, right?
Old April 23, 2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Hkmp5sd

I understand the feeling. I want to send my MP5SD HERE for some upgrades, but the thought of losing a $20,000 gun in shipping is holding it up.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:21 AM   #8
VUPDblue

That's what insurance is for. I'm told that Registered Mail can take a very long time, as it is under lock and key at every step of it's journey. Honestly, I'm only a little bit worried about it. Now, if another week goes by then I'll be like
Old April 24, 2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Lurch37

Quote:
I sent it out to M60Joe 10 days ago. He still doesn't have it and the Post Office can't tell me anything. I hope they don't lose it
I bought a Valmet 76 awhile back and it took around 3 weeks for me to finally get it by registered mail. Talk about being a nervous nellie for awhile....
Old April 24, 2008, 11:36 AM   #10
PTK

Registered mail takes just about forever, but I haven't heard of any being lost/stolen in a LONG time.
Old April 25, 2008, 08:34 PM   #11
MisterPX

Check the auto sear hole, make sure it's good, and not a poorly done conversion.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Hkmp5sd

There are also now some very good replica HK MP5SD sear guns on the market. THIS company takes a sear gun, completely reworks it to factory specs, changes the HK94 markings to original HK MP5SD markings, refinishes the metal, replaces the suppressor innards with a more efficient version, tunes it for full auto fire and guarantees it for 5 years.