The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 10, 2013, 07:35 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

A tax deduction declares you own guns - registration - don't you think?

Oops.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:54 AM   #27
shortwave

Just another way to invite more 'big brother' into your life.

Another, IMO, un-Constitutional, un-enforceable law.

Stupid idea!
Old March 11, 2013, 09:24 AM   #28
KMAX

Quote:
, and those who oppose gun ownership based on belief or religious doctrine.
What does this mean? I believe I don't want to own a gun. What do I have to do to prove this? Do I have to show some affiliation to a non- gunowning group? Do I have to sign a waiver?

Seriously, I think gun ownership should always be an individual's choice and not mandated by anyone else. I kind of like the idea that they are trying to go the opposite direction of gun banners, but to require gun ownership is just as wrong as denying it.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old March 11, 2013, 02:01 PM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

I do not think that mandating gun ownership is a good idea. I think the RKBA also carries a right to not keep or bear arms, just as the right to free speech includes a right to not speak.

Tax credit . . . gee, however will the IRS decide whether someone is qualified? Oh, yeah, by requiring a list of firearms, complete with make, model and serial number.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:19 PM   #30
shortwave

Quote:
Tax credit . . . gee, however will the IRS decide whether someone is qualified? Oh, yeah, by requiring a list of firearms, complete with make, model and serial number.
^^This...and we should watch what we hope for.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:35 PM   #31
bbqbob51

As I type this the Town of Byron here in Maine is having a town meeting and a town article making gun and ammo ownership mandatory is one of the things being voted on. Of course most stuff like this is symbolic only. My personal feelings are that the government (Federal, state or local) should stay out of citizen's personal lives. We should be able to own or not own what we want in our homes.
Here's the link:
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/23...ship-mandatory
Old March 12, 2013, 09:08 AM   #32
JimDandy

I just finished looking up the one actually on the books in Kennesaw, BBQBob. It looks functionally the same as the one currently proposed by Nelson, the town in this post. In fact, given the quote in the linked article, I'd guess it was more than "modeled on" Kennesaw's ordinance, and it's just flat-out plagiarized.

If you actually read Kennesaw 34-22 It's symbolic. I'm not particularly fond of it, but I disagree with "requires all households to have a gun" as much as I disagree with "No politician wants to take away your guns" - quotes from Cuomo and Feinstein belie the second statement, and the actual law belies the first.

You must have a gun. Unless you're not allowed to have a gun. Or can't afford a gun. Or just plain don't like guns. This does not mandate gun ownership, it's symbolic. And as one lawmaker said, it's a lot like sticking a Protected by ADT sign in every yard. You know some of them are accurate, but you don't know which ones.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:38 PM   #33
Pigcheese

Sorry for being a newb / clueless, but lots of things disclose the fact you own a gun

Quote:
A tax deduction declares you own guns - registration - don't you think?

Oops.
Lots of things declare the fact that you own guns:
  • You applied for a CCW permit.
  • You purchased a gun through an FFL dealer.
  • You had your background checked when you purchased a gun.

Oops?

I readily admit you guys probably know much more about these topics than me. You have been in the trenches (as it were) for many years and here is Pigcheese, he just showed up and has an opinion. Please correct me if I am wrong. But if I have a CCW permit, the gubmint already knows I am packing. What difference does a tax deduction make?

Plus you don't have to claim it. It is optional.

I realize their are real problems with using the tax code to encourage gun ownership, but I don't think universal registration is one of them. Any legislature with the cajones to enact a tax deduction for gun ownership would never touch registration.

Nevertheless, given the feedback here, I will table the proposal. Thank you for your comments.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:48 AM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, if you purchase through an FFL the records stay local with the FFL - unless they go out of business.

Of course, there are ways to trace and keep records. However, we don't need an IRS record.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:50 AM   #35
Spats McGee
Staff

RE: lots of things declaring that someone owns a firearm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigcheese
You applied for a CCW permit.
There's no requirement in my state that I own a gun to get my CHCL, or that I give the gov't any information on my firearms ownership to qualify. It may be reasonable to presume that I do, but unlike my tax documents, I don't have to swear under penalty of perjury that I own a gun.

Quote:
You purchased a gun through an FFL dealer.
In theory, those records are held only by a private entity (the FFL), unless and until BATFE needs to look at them.

Quote:
You had your background checked when you purchased a gun.
In theory (again), the NICS records are to be destroyed within (I think) 24 hours. (Someone who knows more about this than I, please clarify this one for me.)

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:22 AM   #36
Pigcheese

Senate committee learns feds get Missouri CCW files

Quote:
Senate committee learns feds get Missouri CCW files

April 11, 2013 By Bob Priddy

A state senate investigation of new driver’s license procedures by the revenue deparatment reveals a federal agency has gotten lists of Missourians who have concealed weapons permits.

The Revenue Department started alarming some people renewing driver’s licenses by demanding copies of their concealed weapons permits that were scanned and put into a department database. Columbia Senator Kurt Schaefer is leading the contingent of senators who consider that an invasion of privacy.

A long day of meetings with departament officials has resulted in an admission that the Inspector General of the Social Security Administration has twice gotten lists of Missourians with concealed weapons permits, apparently to see if anyone on the list is on another list of people with mental health issues.
http://www.missourinet.com/2013/04/1...w-files-audio/
Old April 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #37
lcpiper

Quote:
I don't think a person should have to possess a gun in their home but they should pay a tax if they choose not to.
I can see from your latter statement that you see the real problem with this but you just haven't convinced yourself this isn't still something worth discussing.

For me, this is lowly, disgraceful, this is a page from the lib's book. This is the same thinking they use and like. It's all about manipulating the system to their own benefit at others' expense to achieve their social utopia.

It's just like the cigarette taxes. They raised the taxes and raised them until people couldn't afford to smoke. "The money will be used for the victims of smoking", that didn't happen, that money went everywhere but to help smokers. The ends justify the means.

Now it's guns they are talking about taxing. This idea is simply fighting fire with fire, but this kind of fire burns bad and it never does anything good. no matter how you justify it it's wrong.

Taxation is not a social engineering tool