The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 28, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1
BluRidgDav

+P handloads in piston-driven AR's?

As more and more piston-driven AR's now have the ability to adjust the amount of gas diverted away from the bolt carrier . . . . it makes me wonder . . . . is there the potential to develope some hotter, +P handloads, for use in these rifles? Especially, in the larger cartridge versions: 6.8 SPC, .30 Rem AR, etc?

Thanx, Dave.

PS - Perhaps, some FAL shooters can contribute to this discussion, since they've been able to adjust their gas (bypass) systems for awhile.
Old November 28, 2012, 06:53 AM   #2
g20gunny

The problem wouldn't be the gas system and a piston system wouldn't be tougher than a D.I. system since adjustable gas blocks have been around longer than adjustable piston systems but people have steered clear of over charged loads.
The area of concern is the chamber and locking lugs. The ar15 is designed for a 5.56x45 and putting a 6.8 bbl greatly thins the chamber walls, think of taking a lightweight 223 bolt action and reaming it out to 6.8 spc and then adding pressure over that (since +p is plus pressure and not always a worthy velocity gain). I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the great 6.8 but it's good to keep a caliber for what it is, if you want a more powerfull caliber than 6.8 it would be safer to get an ar-10 platform in 308, 7mm/08 or 243 than risk blowing up a good gun (and maby fingers)..
Just my opinion, hope that helps.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old November 28, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I agree with gunny. The 6.6G and 6.8 reduces the bolt lug strength and loading up the Grendel often sears bolt lugs.

If you want more power, a 7.62 AR platform is the way to go. .260 to .338 Federal and no worry on lugs breaking.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Sinlessorrow

+P in 5.56 exists, its called proof loads.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
greentick

ARPerformance makes a 6.8 "super bolt" that is reinforced.

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/3255/338
Old December 1, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
goalie

How do you plan on obtaining accurate pressure data?

It sounds like a good way to kaboom to me.