The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
smartwhois

Why are so many threads here locked?

What is the point of locking a discussion simply because it's long, has been open for a while, or receives a new reply? All this does is discourage discussion, which is the point of forums. I notice this is a common excuse for locking discussions here, and it probably results in more repeated topics, rather than comprehensive ones.

It shouldn't matter when a thread was posted, how many comments it has, nor when a new person decides to comment. A thread can always be new or useful to someone. Open threads are a magnet drawing people in from current search results, closed ones are not as beneficial.

Those that are not interested in a specific thread can easily avoid it.

Anyway, just some feedback on something I noticed.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It might help us provide an answer if you gave us specific examples... especially since this is your first post here in 3 1/2 years....

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 14, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Each thread that is locked will have an explanation as to why it is being locked, placed there by the staff member who locked it.

A thread may be locked for many reasons, but that is the key to knowing why.

If you don't agree with the reason(s) for why a thread has been locked, that is certainly your right, but with no disrespect intended, the chances of our changing the manner in which we currently deal with locked threads likely is not going to happen any time soon.

Why? Because we've been entrusted to run this forum based on the vision of its founder and owner, and until such time that we hear from him that he wants us to do it a different way, it's not going to change.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Edward429451

Yeah, but you mods have a lot of discretion available to you with regard to thread closures, and seem to be a little overly strict about it sometimes. Some very good threads have been closed for not much reason at all. No examples, just an observation.

Lighten up a little you guys!
Old November 15, 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Some very good threads have been closed for not much reason at all. No examples, just an observation.
The fact is that it's often the case that a thread is locked because things got out of hand, a staff member had to do cleanup (deletions and edits which aren't typically visible to the general membership) and then decided that the prudent thing was to close it to prevent a repeat performance.

What I'm saying is that while sometimes it might seem that there's "not much reason at all", the members often don't have enough information to make that determination with any reasonable level of accuracy.

Members with SPECIFIC examples of threads they believe shouldn't have been locked or should be reopened, should please contact the staff member who locked the thread via PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I think I'll go close 20 random threads today.

Just because I can.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
egor20

Quote:
I think I'll go close 20 random threads today.

Just because I can.
I banned half the members of a forum for 30 minutes once.

Just because I could.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 15, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Ironic, isn't it.
Closed Thread

Tags
lock , lock topic , locked , locked thread , locking