The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: How many of you text while hunting in the stand?
Age group 18-25 19 19.39%
Age group 25-35 19 19.39%
Age group 35-45 23 23.47%
Age group 45-55 22 22.45%
Age group 55-75 15 15.31%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 29, 2012, 05:08 PM   #26
Hansam

I hate texting and where I hunt I can barely get phone reception. People know not to text me when I'm hunting.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:28 PM   #27
Archer 9505

No
Old October 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #28
sc928porsche

I carry a cell phone while hunting for emergencies. You can bet that it is shut off. Im there to hunt. Not to amuse myself or carry on conversations. I guess that I enjoy the scenery and listening to nature along with maybe that quiet approaching game too much to get bored.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:44 PM   #29
rickyrick

So serious guys.

They do have a features to mute them.

I work in very remote locations and texting is often the most reliable way to communicate. Calls won't go through but texts will.

I'm out hunting often, as I'm sure many of you are, but sometimes there's a little to much time. Until I get older, I always hear the animals activity long before the need to see it.

I see the desire to leave it all behind if you planned a vacation around a hunting trip. So, I guess it depends on what style of hunting you do.
I sometimes hunt without leaving my pickup truck, just parked in the pasture. Most times it's an hour before I get out of the truck. Most of us average joes got "nature" running around in the attic.

My hunting is really just a chore at times that I gotta drag myself outta the house to do. I still love it, but I don't get bent out of shape if the wife calls or I get a text. My ringer is a pig squealing if I forget to turn the ringer off. I check and write emails while hunting also.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:12 PM   #30
Kreyzhorse

No. I'm there to hunt and perhaps nap, but I only take my phone in for emergency use.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #31
Ridgerunner665

Guilty as charged, on both counts (texting and napping)...39 years old.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:30 PM   #32
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
I don't text. My phone has this feature that allows me to just talk into a microphone, and the person on the other end can actually hear me speak!

Let me know how that works for you while you're hunting. I don't know about your deer but ours don't like talking trees very much.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:27 PM   #33
cole k

Why would I want to "text" while hunting???
Old October 29, 2012, 08:40 PM   #34
viciouskitty

I do and I'm 22 text the girlfriend if she isn't already in the blind with me anyway or my hunting buddy to see if he's killed anything over at his place
Old October 29, 2012, 08:52 PM   #35
Jo6pak

I never even take my phone into the woods.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:08 PM   #36
Panfisher

One thing I will throw out since I routinely teach it as part of Hunter Ed classes. Cell phones are one of the greatest emergency tools there is. If you are in the woods and are injured or perhaps happen upon someone who has fallen out of their stand and been injured, that cell phone could save their or your life. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to turn it on. Leave it off, place it inside a ziplock bag (because "stuff" happens) and only turn it on if in an emergency. Besides if you are in a reception poor area, searching for signal will quickly run down the battery, and you can usually text even if reception is spotty.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:28 PM   #37
SavageSniper

I have it with me because my wife told me to I keep it off unless needed. It also has a good camera and gps. Can be very handy. Btw, I'm 44
Old October 30, 2012, 12:29 PM   #38
rifleman8

Quote:
Guilty as charged, on both counts (texting and napping)...39 years old.
This ^^^ I'm 21
Old October 30, 2012, 01:26 PM   #39
rickyjames

having a cell phone in the field while hunting can be a great benifit. it may save your life if you get sick or injured, mine has a compass and map app and i'm sure there are other helpfull apps. put your phone on vibrate and stick it in your pocket, it's there if you need it.

having said that i don't think that was what the original question was about. i do not play games on it, i do not let it distract me, i don't take random calls when i am in the field because i am there to hunt.......but it is a comfort to have my phone with me if i need it.
Old October 30, 2012, 01:27 PM   #40
lefteye

I take my cell phone with me for emergencies and to communicate with a hunting buddy if we are both hunting the same area. It is set on vibrate and in a chest shirt pocket.
Old October 30, 2012, 01:49 PM   #41
lon371

I often take my kids now they are older(20-23-25) when we go we all text. The area we hunt has people on occasion walking thru the area. I dont own the land and can not dictate who is there or not. We text if we see anyone to warn the others. Or like last year, my boy told of some deer heading to my area. I got a nice 10 point because of it. May have got him anyways. But I am thankful for the heads up.

I am 49

Lonny

Last edited by lon371; November 2, 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to post age
Old October 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #42
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If it needs a battery it ain't going in the woods with me. After dark is an exception but flash lights don't make funny sounds but I do if I fall.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 30, 2012, 02:25 PM   #43
Gbro

First things first,
I am not happy with the age group you are calling the old guys!
I am only 59 and to be grouped in with old fellers, well that's just not right.
This whole poll and question is useless, ask the general public instead of a group that spends time on the Internet. A better question in a group like this is who uses more than three fingers while typing.
yes I text with the grand kids, how ele am I to know to come in to the shack for breakfast?
My plans were not like this, but when the young ones don,t see much they don't tend to get out early. My only recourse now is to hunt hard and bring in some venison to show them that they have to be in the stands to get a deer!
Old October 30, 2012, 02:53 PM   #44
rickyrick

My phone has a really good flashlight feature lol
Old October 30, 2012, 07:28 PM   #45
Keg

The safety aspect is a good reason....Also I take pics of anything I shoot....
Old October 30, 2012, 07:44 PM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I mentioned it before but it bears repeating. There is a significant safety aspect directly related to knowing what is beyond your target in some cases.

It's normally impossible to know where someone might be if they are beyond your line of sight. Hitting them accidentally is a small percentage shot but it IS possible.

Your options are, every one goes into the woods, parks their behinds and STAYS PUT so we know where they are, use radios to communicate (still only an estimate of location unless you use expensive, single purpose, GPS-enabled radios), move only to and from predetermined places at predetermined times (still only an estimate), take your chances, or use GPS enabled phones that can show exact locations.

Phones are fantastic in this regard. No, not your TracPhone. You need high-end phones but the capability is impressive.

Combined with the emergency communication ability, the flashlight if my headlight dies, the camera for the kill or other cool shots and, finally, my thread LIVE! from the Stand!, I find the phone, not indispensable, but highly desirable.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:39 PM   #47
Daggitt

Heck yeah. All the time. If someone texts then everyone shoots!
Old October 31, 2012, 02:40 PM   #48
tnelson31

Last year I took my tablet out for video game time in the stand, but I do not have a roof and it was snowing...so no tablet for me.

This year I will leave it at camp and stalk when I am bored.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:26 PM   #49
Comanche

Would be a good means for hunting buddies to communicate if there is a big buck coming your way but unfortunately electronic communication devices of any kind cannot be used to communicate information to aid in the hunt....at least in Georgia it's illegal.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:06 PM   #50
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Would be a good means for hunting buddies to communicate if there is a big buck coming your way but unfortunately electronic communication devices of any kind cannot be used to communicate information to aid in the hunt....at least in Georgia it's illegal.
Well that's pretty much the definition of an unenforceable law! What silliness!