The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 23, 2010, 01:38 AM   #1
historybug

Curious Flintlock Rifle

Hello, Harley,

I had a site visitor send me photos of an old flintlock with an arrow imprinted or etched into the top of its octagonal barrel, He wanted to know if I could tell him what kind it was, but I don't have a clue, and have never seen anything like it. Any info you can offer about this would be appreciated!

I've attached some photos.

Thanks!

Historybug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3003.jpg (242.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3004.jpg (243.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3006.jpg (244.8 KB, 124 views)
Old March 23, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

There may be other markings on the gun, this would really help.

It the markings are difficult to read, color over them with a graphite pencil. This should show the marks. It appears to be a Kentucky Rifle, and if so there were many gun makers making this style. Buy getting a name on the gun I may have more info.

Mr Harley
Old March 23, 2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Jim Watson

In the first place, it isn't (wasn't back when it had all its parts) a flintlock. There is a percussion bolster and nipple which makes it a cap and ball rifle.

There are not what we think of as "brands" or "makes" of guns from that era. They were made in small shops from commodity parts (I think this one is later than the days when one man made the whole gun, it is probably a commercial barrel and lock stocked up by a local gunsmith.) One guy putting an arrow on the barrel as his trademark might have been well known in his life and area, but it will be tough to trace back after 150 years.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:27 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks like it may have been a back-action lock. I'd like a better image of the area that was cut out for the lock.

The lack of a sideplate suggests that it may be a poor boy (Southern rifle). How about a view of the tang?

Can we get a full length view? I'd like to see the buttplate. I suspect that it would be very crescent shape.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I suspect that the lock was originally a back action lock. It may never have even been a flintlock and could have been a percussion gun from inception.

It's hard to tell from the photos whether the gun was a full stock that was modified into a half stock. It does have the iron under-rib beneath the barrel, but that could have been added later. I'll need a closer view of the end of the half stock where the nose piece is.

I suspect that it doesn't have a patchbox. Not all did. I'm wondering if it had a simple hole for a grease?
Old March 24, 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
historybug

Curious flintlock

Thanks so much, all for your help, everybody! I'll pass on your suggestions and comments and see if I can get better pictures.

Historybug

Tags
octagonal barrel , old flintlock