The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 8, 2009, 10:10 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The only question I have is why some threads aren't locked sooner."

Well, a couple of reasons.

1. We're volunteer, we don't get paid, which means that many, if not all of us, have jobs that we have to perform. I'm fortunate in that my job allows me to be on quite often during the day.

2. We have other life issues that require our attention so we're not always here. Like right now. I'm trying to replace my car before the current one goes TU. Last night I was checking dealerships and doing test drives. I was totally gone between 4:30 and nearly 1 a.m.

3. It's a judgement call on the moderator's part. But, rest assured, no matter when a moderator decides to pull the trigger, there are always people who either think the trigger was pulled too soon, too late, or that it shouldn't have been pulled at all.

We occasionally hear from those who aren't happy with us that threads are being closed.

Their vision differers from what TFL is, and they don't like that one bit. I've gone hammer and tong a couple of times with people who are bound and determined to make the mods see, and do, things their way.

In short, that's not going to happen, because we do things one way, and only one way -- Rich Lucibella's way. Rich provides the guidance and framework for what TFL is, what TFL should be, and how TFL operates, and we moderators do our best to support that. As I told someone a few weeks ago -- there has to be a TFL baseline, and Rich is the holder of that baseline.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:45 AM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
They're mods, not gods... they can't be everywhere.
Gozer: [after Ray orders her to re-locate] Are you a God?
[Ray looks at Peter, who nods]
Dr Ray Stantz: No.
Gozer: Then... DIE!
[Lightning flies from her fingers, driving the Ghostbusters to the edge of the roof and almost off; people below scream]
Winston Zeddemore: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"! Dr. Peter Venkman: All right! This chick is TOAST!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/quotes

Are proton packs destructive devices? Anyway, I agree with the analyses of the other gods - uh - mods.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:52 PM   #28
B.N.Real

williamson-

Cool vid.

The internet is a wild place.

The mods actually help keep this forum alive by controlling the extent of the discussions.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:09 AM   #29
Dingoboyx

+1 HellBilly (post 25)

Maybe it would be fun if the mods created a 'silly slot' where posts that are harmless (not spam or super rediculous, or been done to death) can be moved to, so when us TFL surfers get frustrated/bored (never) or we just want a good laugh, we can go look in this section (perhaps called the 'X files, or Garbage Can' or something

Trouble is, probably most of my threads would go straight into there

Call it the Dingo file?
Old May 10, 2009, 12:09 AM   #30
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked91
Hilarious anyway, everyone gets a good laugh over watching a P!ssing match from the sidelines, to bad TFL is against it
It's too bad people don't understand why we're against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
In short, that's not going to happen, because we do things one way, and only one way -- Rich Lucibella's way. Rich provides the guidance and framework for what TFL is, what TFL should be, and how TFL operates, and we moderators do our best to support that. As I told someone a few weeks ago -- there has to be a TFL baseline, and Rich is the holder of that baseline.
And with that, the bar is raised. It's raised as such that when Staff holds our fellow members accountable to retain the higher level of standards it ruffles some feathers. We're called "holier than thou", "snobs", or any other similar stereotype. That's fine by me. I see it if a member resorts to this opinion, he/she doesn't really agree nor understand Rich's vision and why Staff runs a relatively tight ship. Birds of a feather...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting