The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
TunnelRat

Where is Grip Important To You?

Hi all,
I was thinking about this the other day. A number of manufacturers make models with specific textures that are designed to improve grip. Some do it on all sides of the grip, some on just the front and back, and some not at all.

Case in point might be Glock's Gen4 texture, which I actually love, or HK's P30 and HK45 texture. Some manufacturer's try to do it with a fine rough texture, others use sort of polymer "blocks" that are supposed to catch some meat of the hand.

There are also a number of tricks people apply on the aftermarket scene, from skateboard tape to rubber grips/sleeves.

If you like extra grip, and by extra I mean more than just a flat smooth surface, where do you prefer it on a gun (all around, just the sides, front/back, etc.)? And what type of added grip do you like (skateboard tape, particular manufacturer texture, checkering, etc.)? None at all is also a perfectly acceptable answer.

-TR
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 13, 2012, 11:02 AM   #2
TheRaskalKing

I really like finely textured, yet aggressive grips from the manufacturer, ie FNX or USP. Also, I like it on all sides of the grip- I feel it helps me control the gun on all sides. My favorite that I've felt is probably on the FNX- I heard somebody say that the grip "grips you back," and I really like that.

While I like the more block style grip on my XDM, I think I do a little better with a little bit more finely textured/checkered grip.

I've not tried the skateboard grip tape style aftermarket stuff, but I think I'd like it just fine as well.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
labhound

I really like the aggressive texturing on my FNS-9. I have added Hogue slip on grips to two of my guns, my SR9 which had good texture all around but the grip is a little slim for me and my PX4 which has a slick feel to the grip although it has good texturing. The reason I went to the Houge slip on vs other methods is I like the rubbery grip of the Hogue plus I really like the palm swells. The grip on the FNS-9 and it's texturing is perfect for me without anything added.

Last edited by labhound; September 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4
sigcurious

I feel pretty much the same as TheRaskalKing. My favorite grip of things I own is the E2 grip on my Sig.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
MLeake

I have found that this really varies by gun for me.

I like VZ G-10 on my CZ pistols, with the vertical indentations in front and backstraps.

But, I usually prefer smooth or half-checkered panels on 1911s, with checkered frontstrap but smooth backstrap.

I like M&P stippling; I like the more aggressive stippling on PX4s; but I find FN's aggressive stippling too harsh, and prefer their medium.

I don't care for skateboard tape.

I do like the LimbSaver grip sleeve.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I do remember really liking the texture on the FNX I had, though my buddy found it too aggressive.

Personally I like aggressive checkering on the sides, as my palms tend to sweat and I like the traction. I prefer the vertical serrations on the front and backstrap. Never understood why some companies do horizontal serrations in those areas.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7
MLeake

My favorite grips (out of all my handguns) are VZ Tactical Diamond panels, in conjunction with front and back vertical frame serrations on my P01. The overall texture and shape are perfect for me, and the gun is one of my three most natural pointers (the others being a Kahr MK9 and S&W 13-3).

Ironically, before CZ came out with the new magazine base plates, I had a PCR that I did not like - the old plates pinched my little finger between plate and grip frame - so I traded that gun. Amazing the difference a little polymer makes...
Old September 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
My favorite grips (out of all my handguns) are VZ Tactical Diamond panels, in conjunction with front and back vertical frame serrations on my P01. The overall texture and shape are perfect for me, and the gun is one of my three most natural pointers (the others being a Kahr MK9 and S&W 13-3).
How are they thickness wise compared to the stock CZ rubber grips? I had a P-01 for a bit and I liked the overall feel but it felt a tad thick to me.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
MLeake

Slimmer, and they do not seem to grab fabric. Net thickness is pretty similar to my 1911s.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Slimmer, and they do not seem to grab fabric. Net thickness is pretty similar to my 1911s.
Wow, that would be sweet . Thanks, will have to check them out next time I get a CZ!
Old September 13, 2012, 01:15 PM   #11
MLeake

Photo comparison

TunnelRat, here are the Colt 1911 and CZ P01 side by side for grip thickness comparison (pretty sure you can tell which is which by means of of one having a grip safety, and one having vertical serrations):

So, the VZ grips slim the P01 nicely - but they still aren't going to be super-slim. For contrast, the P01 next to a Kahr MK9:

For a gun of its size, though, a P01 gets noticeably slimmer using the VZs. It looks good with them, too, IMO:

Old September 13, 2012, 01:20 PM   #12
farmerboy

All I have to go by is what I tried and I love the Glock 22gen 4. Have also seen tons like the Talon grip applied to Glocks but the gen 4 stock is great in my opinion.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-...ls-scoop-5lpi/
I have those on my SIG 1911, it's like holding onto a cheese grater. I love/hate them.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Fishbed77

I think a properly-designed and ergonomic contour is very helpful to maintaining a good grip as well. I actually find this a more significant factor than the texture of the grip.

To that extent, it prefer the grip designs of pistols like the H&K P30/HK45, Walther P99/PPQ, and the S&W M&P-series. I find that these well-designed grips don't need to resort to things like Glock's "Rough-Textured Frame" or skateboard tape in order to work well.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Dragline45

Quote:
I think a properly-designed and ergonomic contour is very helpful to maintaining a good grip as well. I actually find this a more significant factor than the texture of the grip.
+1, Jerry Miculek actually crafted his own custom grips he uses for competition, and they just happen to be smooth all the way through. He says inbetween shots the smooth texture of the grip allows him to make adjustments in his grip. I know it's a thing of preference but for me grip shape is more important than texture.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:41 PM   #16
KenL

I've put aftermarket grips on most of my handguns. S&W 66 got a Hogue Monogrip, BHP got a Pachmayr Presentation grip, Glock got a Hogue slide on sleeve. I like the Hogues because of the palm swell. It feels good to have a bit more to grip there, otherwise the guns seem to shift too much in my hand. The Pachmayr helped with sweaty hands also, the gun stayed in place. Whether shooting bare handed or with gloves, I prefer the rubber type materials for my handguns.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:55 PM   #17
farmerboy

I also like the contour of a gun that fits my hand best. And also love the Hogue grips, best aftermarket grips I've felt. But as far as Glocks. I like em how they come.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #18
BarryLee

Quote:
My favorite grip of things I own is the E2 grip on my Sig.
When I first saw the new SIG grips I was not crazy about their appearance, but I do love how they fit my hand.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 13, 2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

^^^ Agreed with you on that. My e2 feels awesome in my hands.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
drail

Just about all of the control your hand has on a pistol is on the frontstrap and backstrap. The grips are not nearly as critical.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:45 PM   #21
thedudeabides

I like big grips with sandpaper like texture that remain grippy even when wet.

I also prefer a good finger mouldings (like Hogue) which keeps them from moving up or down in my hand.

If your gun doesn't fit well in your hands, or you can't keep a firm grip on it, it's essentially worthless.

Don't be afraid to experiment with aftermarket options until you find one you like. Humans come in different sizes, and so should your gun grips.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

I've never had much of an opinion on it until I bought my Springfield TRP. I love the aggressive grip cut into the front strap of the gun and would like to see more guns with the same style.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:46 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
I've never had much of an opinion on it until I bought my Springfield TRP. I love the aggressive grip cut into the front strap of the gun and would like to see more guns with the same style.
I have to admit, I am not a fan of the TRP. The grip in the front seems way more aggressive than my hands want, and I even use grip tape on occasion. I might just be a wuss .
Old September 13, 2012, 07:27 PM   #24
Smit

Glad this question was brought up, maybe someone can help me with this...

I have a newly acquired Glock 20 which I really like. One characteristic with this gun is the large grip. After a few dozen rounds the smooth grip gets a little slippery. I use to skateboard so I can see why some people venture into adding it to grips. Anyone suggest a good alternative to aid in gripping my Glock 20 grip? I have bigger hands so its not an issue in that concern, just more of a sweaty/slippery palm.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:00 PM   #25
TunnelRat

Quote:
Anyone suggest a good alternative to aid in gripping my Glock 20 grip?
If you want something like skateboard tape but a little less gritty and maybe not as likely to break up, and easy to remove too, look at Safety Walk tape by 3M.

For something a little more tailored there are always Talon grips:

http://talongungrips.com/Talon-Grips...2.qscstrfrnt01