The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 23, 2012, 11:55 AM   #51
SmokyBaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR420
Nice collection SmokyBaer!

I especially like the SAGE EBR and LAW483 laminated E2
Thanks!!
and you have a good eye. Yep, that is a Tony special. The Camo laminate E2 is the favorite of all my stocks. Fits my Scout really well and feels great. It is probly my only M1A i dont constantly fiddle with to try and make better. Have to give credit where due... that Sage EBR is pretty accurate. I need to drop a couple deer with it this year. Suzy Scout shouldn't get all the glory, huh.
Old August 24, 2012, 10:22 AM   #52
henschman

The only Springfields I would own myself are the older ones, from back when they actually put chrome-lined barrels on them, as per mil spec. They don't even offer that option on the newer ones, and haven't since sometime in the early 2000s. It's never been an option on the 18" barreled Springfields.

Here's my rifle. It's an old M1A with all GI parts. I have it in a new SAI plastic stock that is very light weight. It weighs 8.5 lbs. without the scope and cheek rest, 10 lbs. with. I love the scope -- it's a Burris TAC30 1-4x24.

Old September 17, 2012, 06:31 AM   #53
bram.baxter

These are all awesome guns! I know its kind of silly, but have any of you ever taken a M1a out deer hunting? Or out hunting anything for that matter.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:58 AM   #54
misterE

I'm sure plenty of use have taken them hunting. I got mine around September last year and wasn't really planning on hunting with it, but it was so fun to shoot and tinker with, I decided to take it out deer hunting around Christmas. Shot a doe and a 8 pt that morning in fairly heavy rain. Both shots around 100 yards. Both 1 shot kills through heart. These rifles are awesome! Mine is a "loaded" stainless version. Another cool thing was, I thought the 20 round mag was going to be cumbersome in the deer woods. I haven't gotten any smaller mags yet. Well, I was hunting out of a climbing stand and that 20 round mag was just the rit height for a gun rest off the front rail of my stand for both of those shots.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:00 AM   #55
MJ1

;) LOL

Took a few wild pig at the old Ft. Hunter-Ligget 100 to 120 lbs with my '81 NM/M21
- David Hackworth -

Last edited by MJ1; September 17, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:18 AM   #56
Single Six

I vote for the Scout Squad, synthetic stock. Also, since you're getting the rifle that I've always wanted but will never be able to afford....I hate you.
Old September 17, 2012, 03:33 PM   #57
SR420

Quote:
Single Six I vote for the Scout Squad, synthetic stock.
Excellent selection sir!

I'm in the process of reconfiguring this one, it has a standard weight 18" barrel
that is chrome lined, it's chambered for M118LR with 4 grooves and a 1:10 ROT.

Last edited by SR420; September 17, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:46 PM   #58
THORN74

The scout is awesome.... I love mine ... it handles like a dream and is very accurate

The only thing in will say is if u ever want to shoot compititions get the STD length barrel. The scouts 18" will dq u .... of course that's just an excuse to buy a second one

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 17, 2012, 07:07 PM   #59
bram.baxter

That scout looks like a dream rifle! misterE that hunt sounds awesome, I hope I can tell a story like that someday. If you were to use really pumped up hunting rounds in the m1, would you have to deactivate the gas piston or something in order to save your op rod from bending or does it not matter?
Old September 18, 2012, 10:51 PM   #60
misterE

Yeah I wouldnt use " really pumped up hunting rounds". From what I can gather, if you stay under 180 grains in " non hot loaded hunting rounds" you are ok. I found that of the usual Walmart found 308 hunting rounds, Remington corelokt 150 grain grouped the best out of my rifle. I shoot these rounds very little, just enough to zero the rifle and hunt, so I'm not worried about it. Other than that, all I feed it is 7.62 NATO marked ammo ( because this rifle was designed to shoot that) or federal gmm. I can't see me getting my op rod bent any time soon. Matter of fact, we always talk about what ammo to feed the m1a, but I've never actually read about someone bending an op rod or anything else from shooting commercial hunting ammo. Maybe because all of us on here have heeded the advise. Maybe these guns are just plain hell for stout. Maybe someone will come along directly and tell stories of bent op rods........
Old November 19, 2012, 10:50 AM   #61
Fatelvis

Gotta love seeing that messy 'Ol Stick-um on the stock. Brings back memories!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1A _1_.jpg (87.3 KB, 23 views)