The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 15, 2001, 08:10 AM   #1
stubby

Loose dovetail sight??

I have a Marlin 1894 45 Colt Cowboy and have really enjoyed shooting it, however when I was hooting yesterday, I found that the rear sight was so loose in the dovetail that I could move it from side to side with nothing more than thumb pressure. I quit shooting and accepted that I would have to take it to my local gunsmith as I wasn't interested in missing the deer season in about six weeks while it was being repaired at Marlin. During the evening, I got itchy and decided to see what I could do. As I attempted to removed the sight from the dovetail, I found that I needed a hammer to drive it out of the slot, it got tighter as it neared either edge if the dobvetail slot. The dovetail slot and the foot of the sight appeared to be normal. I turned the sight over on the bench and used a cold chisel and hammer to "peen" the edges that fit in the slot. It took considerable force to drive the peened sight back into the slot but it is secure now and the altered edges are not visible. This probably seems like an elementary repair to the experienced but I have absolutley no mechanical ability and was quite pleased with myself when done. Now the question, what would my gunsmith have done to correct the problem?
Old October 15, 2001, 11:45 AM   #2
Ledbetter

You did good

I'll defer to George when he responds, but I believe the usual way of fixing this problem is to remove the sight, take a small steel punch and raise a few places on the bed of the dovetail by striking the punch at an angle into the metal. The sight is then replaced into the snugger channel.

I like your method better, as you alter the cheaper part (the sight).

For what its worth, I have solved this problem by scarring up the bottom of the sight, applying a thin layer of epoxy steel, sanding it flat after it cures completely, and reinstalling the sight.

Regards,

Ledbetter