The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2016, 12:20 PM   #26
mikld

Another thought; some of the "old stand bys" powder are being phased out in favor of easier, cheaper to manufacture powders. Off hand I don't have a list, but I believe W231 iss one of those being discontinued in the long run...
Old July 15, 2016, 01:08 PM   #27
Carriertxv

I spend about $50.00 every week on whatever I come across. Sometimes a little more if its on sale. I'm good for several years and I do shoot a fair bit.
Old July 15, 2016, 01:47 PM   #28
alexcue

I keep hearing that about W231... but HP38 has been available around here for several months, and W231 shows up a little less often but is available. Let's put it this way I have enough of it for a couple of shortages to come through.

It's kinda like Unique for others, handy to have around to use in several different calibers. Reminds me... need some more Unique!
Old July 15, 2016, 02:28 PM   #29
bfoosh006

Also... remember whatever you buy will hold its value if stored properly.

So buy what truly makes you comfortable.

Better to have, than wise you had.
Old July 15, 2016, 06:34 PM   #30
Nick_C_S

W231

Quote:
Let's put it this way I have enough of it (W231) for a couple of shortages to come through.
Me too. Between HP-38 and W231, I have over 10 #'s Just received this 8-pounder from Cabela's a few weeks ago . . .

Old July 16, 2016, 11:44 AM   #31
SHR970

During the Clinton era, the shortage was PRIMERS. There were rumors going around surrounding this component and they were the one choke point. Even in So. Cal. I could walk into my local store and get bullets and powder with no problems.

Coming into the first Obama shortage, I was well enough stocked that ity was a while before I ran out...small rifle primers first. Fortunately at the next gunshow, I was able to get some since the distributor there was limiting purchases to prevent the horders and gougers from cleaning them out. They even refused to do before hours sales to others that had booths at the show.

The next thing I started to run out of was bullets in certain calibers. When they started to show up, I made my buys.

Powders: I was LOVING some of the advice I saw on these pages. Someone new would ask for advice and would invariably get 'Try "Unobtainium" powder in your SuperDuper cartridge. Real helpful advice NOT. Some of us would say "Try "Available" powder in stock at On Line Merchant. The answer many times was 'It's not listed in the new on line data or not listed in the new flyer; Don't use it'. What??? No Red / Green Dot, Herco Pistol data? No p[roblem; use the 1990's info. Then we would read the old data is no good don't use it and our response was CALL them. Those who called would be quoted the EXACT same data we had in our old books.

Here's the rub.....in the new manuals they do not reshoot all of the loads....not even close. In 2000 I sent an email to Accurate Arms asking for load data for 32ACP as they did not have data listed in their book. To this day, that same data is published in several sources. AA#2 has been reformulated since that data was first given. So have the Dot powders, Unique, Herco, and several others.

Are you using Lee #2? They only reprint everyone elses data. And all of it is old data. Guess what, you will see lots of loads listed that would not be considered if you only go by the on line or newest data.

One of the joys of reloading is the experimentation part of it. Trying powders that aren't the "BEST" and sometimes finding That Wonderful Load or that I can use this for most of my needs. Over the years I have found certain powders that I will buy in bulk without hesitation. But I will also buy a pound of something and try it out. If I don't like it, so what.....If I do I have another option on my list.

When the popular powders run out right away, these less popular flexible powders remain in stock for a while longer. For the newer reloader, you would be surprised how many of the shotgun powders will work well with handgun loads. You will also be surprised how few rifle powders you really need too.
Old July 16, 2016, 12:51 PM   #32
turtlehead

Well I bought my first 8lb jug of powder today. Easily the most expensive plastic jug I've ever bought. But it feels good.

Have all of my equipment now and enough supplies for 2+ years. Everything I buy before November will be gravy.

Nice thing about this is you can buy your supplies in manageable chunks.
Old July 16, 2016, 07:03 PM   #33
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I bought my first 8lb jug of powder today.
How exciting! What was it? What are you going to use it for?

The W231 in my pic above was my first 8# container. My first 4# container was Power Pistol I got about a year ago (still unopened). Prior to that, I only purchased 1# containers.

I have 11 different powders now (was 12 until recently). Before the shortage, I used just two (W231 & W296). Now granted, I was getting back into shooting and I was going to need to get something in the intermediate range anyway; but the shortage caused me to buy powders I've never tried (AA#'s 2, 5, & 7; N310, Nitro 100, TiteGroup, Power Pistol) and to resurrect some that I used years ago, but phased out (Bullseye, Unique, & HS-6 - which was W540 back then). It was a good thing - the proverbial "silver lining" of the shortage, as it were. I learned lots and have tons of load data.

Now, I'm trying to pare down my stock again. Not down to two, but four. I'm keeping N-310, W231, Power Pistol, and 2400. The rest (and there's a lot, so it'll take years to deplete), I don't plan on buying any more. And most of my loading now is with the "phase out powders" (TiteGroup, when W231/HP-38 is my preferred choice, for instance). Trying to get things back to simple. AA#5 may end up surviving the cut - we'll see - it makes fantastic 10mm range ammo that'll be tough to duplicate with PP. I have about three years' worth now, so I need not decide today.
Old July 16, 2016, 07:34 PM   #34
turtlehead

It was CFE223. I'm set up for 223 and 380 currently.

Had been buying a pound here and a pound there then came across a good deal locally on the CFE223. Also have a pound of TiteGroup for the 380. Apparently I can get 2,692 loads out of that.

Been buying boxes of primers each payday as well.

I've been fortunate in that I happen to have a high paying temporary side job going that has coincided perfectly with my new interest in this hobby. All the equipment has been paid for with cash and I've bought some really nice stuff that will last a lifetime.
Old July 16, 2016, 08:11 PM   #35
William T. Watts

What Guffey said. I never had to worry about any lack of anything for my personal use, usually Fin Feather and Fur in Ohio had what I needed when I had a need.. Another thought I never ran out of anything, I usually had made a purchase before exhausting my current supply!! William
Old July 16, 2016, 08:31 PM   #36
Elkins45

Until I can walk into a Walmart and buy a box of 22LR, or into the Sportsman's Warehouse and pick up a jug of 2400 the last panic won't have ended. So it's just been one long panic to me.
Old July 16, 2016, 09:32 PM   #37
rclark

Quote:
Until I can walk into a Walmart and buy a { bulk } box of 22LR, ... the last panic won't have ended
Yep. Agree on that one!!!!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 16, 2016, 09:47 PM   #38
TMD

Plenty of powder and primers on the shelves in my neck of the woods. Problem is they are all at least 50% more expensive since the last shortage. Primers start at $3.99/100 or $39.99/1000. Yup no discount for bulk. Powders are all $30-35 lb and 8# jugs start at $240.
With online prices dropping almost back to normal it don't take much to overcome a $25 hazmat fee
Old July 16, 2016, 10:02 PM   #39
rdtompki

Primers and Powder are readily available online now at reasonable prices and that includes the elusive VV N320: 4lbs at $110 isn't bad if you're buying 4 jugs or so. If the recent ammo legislation in California isn't struck down by the courts you'll see more reloaders in CA, but that won't affect the national demand all that much.
Old July 16, 2016, 10:32 PM   #40
turtlehead

Thought I read somewhere there are cities in California where it's not legal to load. Is that so?
Old July 17, 2016, 08:08 AM   #41
Don P

If we ALL buy just what we need there would be NO PANIC AND SO CALLED SHORTAGE. We created our own shortage last time around with folks getting and being greedy and screw everyone else, all for one and none for anyone else.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 17, 2016, 10:58 AM   #42
F. Guffey

Don P,

Quote:
If we ALL buy just what we need there would be NO PANIC AND SO CALLED SHORTAGE. We created our own shortage last time around with folks getting and being greedy and screw everyone else, all for one and none for anyone else.
I do not live in the small world inside the Internet. In the world I live in I receive a phone call, then a question, someone is looking for something or someone is asking me if I need something. Some times the conversation starts with: Did you hear and or read about someone dying and then comes the part about the effort being made by a group that is trying to help the wife? After that comes the part about what is available and the price.

It was not that long ago when I received a call telling me there was not a lot left but if I was interested the price was $70.00. How good could the offer be if it has been picked over; I do not care if they call me first or last or I hear about it months later as in "you should have been there?" Anyhow, I said put me down and where do I go to pick this stuff up.

I got over there and then told them $70.00 was not enough so I added some, after loading the foot locker full of cases he said "Wait' this is what we could not get into the foot locker. The cases came from one of the most disciplined reloaders in the area.

If I just sit around complaining how bad things are or going to be and blaming others because I am stuck to a computer I believe I could find someone to blame for my problems.

F. Guffey
Old July 17, 2016, 11:13 AM   #43
F. Guffey

We are all Dodgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDAlCQO57aE

I am a dodger and you are a dodger to

F. Guffey
Old July 17, 2016, 02:12 PM   #44
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Thought I read somewhere there are cities in California where it's not legal to load. Is that so?
I live in California (unfortunately). There is no such thing that I know of. Sounds like a question for staff member Frank Ettin.
Old July 17, 2016, 06:56 PM   #45
mrdaputer

Code:
Until I can walk into a Walmart and buy a box of 22LR

I can go into Cabelas any time and buy 22 LR ammo does that count?
Old July 18, 2016, 08:34 AM   #46
Don P

Quote:
I do not live in the small world inside the Internet. In the world I live in I receive a phone call, then a question, someone is looking for something or someone is asking me if I need something. Some times the conversation starts with: Did you hear and or read about someone dying and then comes the part about the effort being made by a group that is trying to help the wife? After that comes the part about what is available and the price.

It was not that long ago when I received a call telling me there was not a lot left but if I was interested the price was $70.00. How good could the offer be if it has been picked over; I do not care if they call me first or last or I hear about it months later as in "you should have been there?" Anyhow, I said put me down and where do I go to pick this stuff up.

I got over there and then told them $70.00 was not enough so I added some, after loading the foot locker full of cases he said "Wait' this is what we could not get into the foot locker. The cases came from one of the most disciplined reloaders in the area.

If I just sit around complaining how bad things are or going to be and blaming others because I am stuck to a computer I believe I could find someone to blame for my problems.

F. Guffey
I'm a bit confused about your statement. All I did was to make a statement on my opinion pertaining to a shortage. Just to enlighten you I do not live in a small world inside the internet. Good for you in your world. As for my world thank god all the folks I know that reload and have ample supplies on hand are doing well health wise for I doubt I'll get a phone call as you did
Old July 18, 2016, 09:03 AM   #47
F. Guffey

Forgive, I thought you were putting well supplied reloaders on a guilt trip by calling them hoarders. and if I got one call it would be a call of a life time.

F. Guffey
Old July 18, 2016, 09:50 AM   #48
Don P

Nothing to forgive,and no I'm not knocking well supplied reloaders. I'm sitting on 4,000 + large pistol primers, 14,000 small pistol primers, 7 1/2 lbs of Titegroup and just under 4 lbs of 231. Am I well stocked? For me, I'm good. I have 4,000 + 45 loaded along with 6,000+ 9mm and 6,000+ 38spl. Would I like to have double my components, yes it would be nice. Do I need it no, not at this time and finance's are not permitting that cushion at this time. As hot as it has been the wife and I have backed away from all but one competition match until things cool off a bit. Both of us have seen our shooting diminish greatly with the onset of the heat.