The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2007, 09:32 PM   #1
mbramsa

Picking up brass at the range...

I'm fairly new to shooting in the civilian world. I've been in the military for 9 years now, but only bought my first firearm in March.

I shoot (Glock 35) at a range here in San Antonio and just started participating in a pistol league there. I like to go shoot twice a week on average, about 250 rounds per week. This is starting to get a little spendy and I'm looking into reloading.

So far I have never seen anyone pick up brass at the pistol range. It's an outdoor range that gets plenty of business, but the only folks I ever see picking up brass are the ROs when they sweep it up into 5 gallon buckets.

My question is, is it ever not ok to pick up brass at a range? Is it ok to pick up off the ground but not out of the buckets? Should I only pick up as much as I shoot?

I'm sure I could ask at the range, and I probably will, but I wanted to get a general idea of what's allowed out in the world first.

Thanks!
Old October 8, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2
rwilson452

It's a matter of range policy. Some will only let you pick up your own. some claim it's theirs if it hits the ground. others you pick it up it's yours. You will need to ask.
Old October 9, 2007, 05:14 AM   #3
kestak

Greetings,

I pick up brass at the range all the time on the ground from fellow shooters after having asked them if it is ok with them. At the same time, I know that it is once fired brass.

Moreover, I got the authorization from the range master to pick up the brass. He said he had no problem.

I think it is all a question of courtesy and common sense. The worse thing you can get by asking is a no. By taking it without asking, the worse thing you can get is a sh**load of insults about you non "savoir-vivre".

I am quite new to shooting, but I can say the shooters I saw at different ranges are the nicest group of person I ever practiced sport with and only once I saw a stupid guy that was not controlling his shooting and it took 5 minutes before someone walked to him and brought him back to track politely.

This month editorial of Guns&Ammo is quite great talking about the shooting community mindset.

Thank you
Old October 9, 2007, 06:35 AM   #4
VaFisher

At our range everyone cleans up after shooting by leaving the brass in a barrel. All the brass saved is sold and used to promote them kids shooting teem. With that being said if someone wanted to pick up some brass for reloading it not a problem.
Old October 9, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

mbramsa,

Most ranges don't care about you picking up brass, but be careful, and only pick up brass that you can tell has only come from factory rounds.(once fired)

As careful as most of the guys that reload are, there is always someone that has a habit of over loading charges, that will damage the brass, and make it unsafe for you to reload. Give EVERY round a visual inspection before loading, and look for signs of stress. If you see any sign of stress at all, then pitch the brass.
Old October 9, 2007, 01:08 PM   #6
chaad

At my range it is generally OK to pick it up off the ground. The exception is during matches like USPSA, where picking it up slows things down and range brass is the unofficial "compensation" for volunteer range officers. Best bet would be to find someone in the league who is shooting reloads and ask.

There are some Glock-specific issues with reloaded brass due to the fact that the chamber is not fully supported. Some say don't reload, some say go ahead if you full length resize, some say it's all overblown hype and you can shoot away. I'm not an expert, but I would talk to one (or several) before I got into reloading for a Glock.
Old October 9, 2007, 04:39 PM   #7
mbramsa

Matches

I did see on a flyer for a match at this range that said it was a "lost brass" match. I assumed that meant you wouldn't be able to pick up your brass for that match.
Old October 9, 2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Mr.RevolverGuy

I found a range that would let me use reloads finally and pick up brass and I was more than happy to join and will continue to be a member not just because of that but because of safety and other things that make me feel at home.

But there is a range here locally that I will not visit at all. They will not allow reloads but sell reloads for you to shoot. And they do not let you pick up your brass as told to me it off sets the cost but for a family membership it is $495 bucks a year. Then they have a guy standing behind you at the range and clocks you according to the number of hours you prepaid for and taps you on the shoulder telling you hey (5 minutes start packing up basically 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 count down) time to go no matter if some one is waiting or not ( I do understand here that hey this is what I paid for) And lastly but not least after you have paid your $495 bucks for the year they still make you pay 7 bucks an hour for range time. I actually went shooting and laughed because I showed up with all revolvers having heard and read their website about their policies. I unloaded my gp100 turned around to my bag to get more factory ammo and the guy walked up to my station and actually knocked all of my remington factory brass to the floor, I asked him whats the deal. He politely said once you enter the range all brass belong to us no matter if it hits the floor or not.

Yeah I am ranting because I hate this place because the practices seem just wrong. You can't use your reloads BUT you can buy reloads from them. Oh and by the way you sign a waiver saying if you use their reloads you can't prosecute if you get hurt because of it. I have never wished bad on anyone's lively hood but these folks seem to care nothing about the sport and fun of shooting and I hope they do not make it.

Anyway it is best to ask, sorry it took me so long to get to that. But every time I think about them I get upset
Old October 9, 2007, 06:38 PM   #9
f-pig

Do tell the name/location of the range

Those are horrible range policies/attitudes and fellow shooters should be warned.
Old October 9, 2007, 06:56 PM   #10
lockedcj7

I picked up a large dip net (the kind fishermen use) at a yard-sale for $2. I lined the net with an old pillowcase held in with clothes pins. I stuck it in the hole in the middle of two 15 lb barbell weights I'm not...ahem...currently...using et voilla! Instant brass catcher. I just hold the gun close to it so that the empties go right in. It works for everything from my M1 to my baby Browning. Plus, it saves all the bending over hunting for strays, the brass doesn't pick up any grime and I can pour the brass directly from the pillowcase into my tumbler.
Old October 9, 2007, 09:22 PM   #11
PeteQuad

Wow he knocked your brass onto the floor? That is the worst thing I've ever heard about a range. I hope you walked right out of there and never came back. You have a right to rant about a place like that!
Old October 9, 2007, 10:04 PM   #12
rwilson452

The name of that range and it's location?
Old October 10, 2007, 05:00 AM   #13
kestak

Greetings,

Here at Augusta Ga, my ife and I pay 300$ per year and we can go as much as we want without paying anything more than our ammo. You can pay about 15$ for one shooting session if you are not member and that session can last all day if you want...hehehe. Moreover, the range master is quite a nice guy and the other members are a bunch of nice guys too.

We can shoot up to .44 magnum and some rifles caliber. I saw a couple of time some guys shooting full automatic "grease guns" type weapon. The brass belongs to the shooter, so he can pick it up anytime. I asked the permission to the range master if I could pick up some brass and he said no problem at all. So, sometimes when I know (or it looks) it is once fired brass, I pick it up in the bucket.

Thank you
Old October 10, 2007, 10:01 AM   #14
mbramsa

I have no complaints at all about this range. It's $200 for a year, or $7.50 for a session if you don't want to buy an annual membership. No limit on session length. The ROs have all been very friendly and professional, and the owner is very nice as well. They have 7, 15 and 25 yd pistol, 100, 200 and 300 yd rifle, and several tactical bays. They hold several matches throughout the year and run a weekly pistol league. If you're near San Antonio, I highly recommend The Bullet Hole
Old October 14, 2007, 08:58 AM   #15
Red_Eagle

Almost all of my 30-30 winchester brass are range pick-ups. As long as you full length resize you shouldn't have any problems.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:12 AM   #16
res45

Quote:
He politely said once you enter the range all brass belong to us no matter if it hits the floor or not.
Thats pretty sorry to just walk up and knock your stuff off the table even if it is there policy,thats not the kind of range I would want to be a part of. I shoot at a public range its open all year and free all they ask you to do is take care of thing and pick up after yourself before you leave most do. We have a group that meets there once a month to do a general clean and fix up and shoot afterwards.

As far a picking up brass, I get allot of mine from there first thing I do when I arrive is walk over the area looking picking up loose cases for myself and my brother all the rest going in several 5 Gal. buckets for anyone to pick through,If I see anyone shooting when they finish I ask if they want there brass if so I help them pick it up if not I keep what I can use and throw the rest in the bucket. I really enjoy going there its nothing fancy but people are friendly they let you shoot there guns and I get to help out allot of first time shooter as well as learn a few new tricks from the older guy and gals ever now and then.

Last edited by res45; October 15, 2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:53 AM   #17
Musketeer

I will not shoot where I cannot claim my own brass. I reload both 10mm and 45 Colt. The 45Colt is no problem since it is a revolver round, no lost cases there!

The 10mm may chuck them a little bit. Typically I gather them up every 20 rounds or so. With the cost of factory 10mm there is no way I would be shooting without reloading.

I can see a range not wanting you to claim other's brass and think that is reasonable. The shooter though who reloads tends to be one who shoots often and I would think angerring them is NOT a good policy.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old October 15, 2007, 04:07 PM   #18
CrustyFN

Check with the RO's first but yes, pick them up if you can. All of my brass are range pickups.
Rusty
Old October 15, 2007, 05:01 PM   #19
longtooth50

Picking up brass at the range...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm fairly new to shooting in the civilian world. I've been in the military for 9 years now, but only bought my first firearm in March.

I shoot (Glock 35) at a range here in San Antonio and just started participating in a pistol league there. I like to go shoot twice a week on average, about 250 rounds per week. This is starting to get a little spendy and I'm looking into reloading.

So far I have never seen anyone pick up brass at the pistol range. It's an outdoor range that gets plenty of business, but the only folks I ever see picking up brass are the ROs when they sweep it up into 5 gallon buckets.

My question is, is it ever not ok to pick up brass at a range? Is it ok to pick up off the ground but not out of the buckets? Should I only pick up as much as I shoot?

I'm sure I could ask at the range, and I probably will, but I wanted to get a general idea of what's allowed out in the world first.

The only outside range I know of in SA is Bracken. If that is the one you are talking about you can pick up your own brass there. Tell them when you go.
You cannot get in front of the firing line on the pistol ranges. You cannot get any out of their buckets. If your neighbor happens to be shooting your caliber, you may get him to pick his up & give it to you.
If you shoot at the CHL range you can pick up all that is there.
If that is not where you are shooting, take a personal bucket & ask what their brass rules are. I have been able to "Sweep the range" for the brass at several places when I asked.
Old October 15, 2007, 05:20 PM   #20
mbramsa

Thanks Longtooth. Where is the CHL range? I've been shooting at the Bullethole. I asked when I was there last week and was told it was fine to pick up my own brass.
Old October 25, 2007, 11:43 AM   #21
CowTowner

I'm a part time R.O. at a range north of Fort Worth. As long as you follow the safety/range rules and R.O. instructions, you can pick up brass. Obviously, there are others that reload so don't grab the ejected shells from the guy next to you without checking first. You can purchase an annual pass which allows you to shoot 6 days a week if you want. Or you can pay by the day. It ain't a fancy place, but we like it.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 27, 2007, 01:51 PM   #22
SDDL-UP

Mr.RevolverGuy,

I would make sure you have a COPY of any range rules / policy. If it does not EXPLICITLY state that all fired brass belongs to THE RANGE upon entry (it would have to be all fired brass, not all brass fired "at the range" because they couldn't PROVE that) then they can't take it! That's a little thing called THEFT and I don't know where you are from but around here theft is illegal. If it does not explicitly state all fired brass belongs to "THE RANGE" upon entry, you call the police next time they try stealing from you.

Total scumbags! Someone tried that around here they'd be looking to pick-up a couple of teeth too. I'm not advocating an assault here, but most likely they are in fact stealing from you. You really need to stand up for yourself here.

Regardless of the outcome I would not renew the membership. No way.
Old October 30, 2007, 09:51 AM   #23
CowTowner

+1 what he said. They have no right to what is already your property.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 30, 2007, 07:29 PM   #24
Mr.RevolverGuy

The range is in midwest ohio, and the rules only state no reloads. But it is funny they will sell you reloads in a generic white box. I am not sure if it has got better or not I have not been back there in 18 months. What is so crazy I know plenty of people that take their reloads and put them in factory box's. I refuse to do such. I just want to go to some place where I can relax, shoot safely, in a friendly, family environment. I drive an extra 22 miles to go to the range across town and got a membership there just because of this.