The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2016, 06:36 PM   #76
243winxb

Crimp die adjustment for 9mm and 41 mag.
Old July 11, 2016, 06:56 PM   #77
briandg

That is the proper procedure and it takes some trial and error.
It's a big assumption that you will have uniform case lengths, and that is why I recommend setting seating die without a crimp and then crimping separately, crimping by feel and checking for proper work until you feel confident. One is correct and quicker, and you can still crimp be feel, and the other takes an extra step and maybe won't work any better.

In any case, lock the dies in place for your most common round, and every time, make a dummy to speed up set up. I have a big bok that I got at harbor freight that has dozens of other small boxes and it holds dummies with taped labels.
Old July 11, 2016, 08:42 PM   #78
F. Guffey

Quote:
and that is why I recommend setting seating die without a crimp
And before that it was suggested seating and crimping at the same time could be a bad habit. And then some companies that make seating made dies that do not crimp.

And before that it was suggested the seating depth be set first; after determining the seating depth the seating plug was to be back off and then the crimp was to be adjusted. After the crimp was set the seating plug was to be adjusted to the bullet.

F. Guffey
Old July 12, 2016, 10:38 AM   #79
briandg

Of course, guffey, the subject of how to crimp takes hours of discussion, but it is a wide subject with lots of answers, and no one clear answer. Even at the point of crimp at th a same time or crime separately.

I see it as pretty much a wasted time to ponder it myself, I do what I do out of habit, and feel compelled to make as may people as I possibly can do exactly the same thing I do, because it makes me feel smart if people agree with me or follow my advice.
Old July 12, 2016, 12:50 PM   #80
F. Guffey

Quote:
Of course, guffey, the subject of how to crimp takes hours of discussion…
Briandg, I could say I do not care and or it does not matter but I would be lying. I care and it matters. In my opinion it makes more sense if the rational if given. How is one thing; why is another. Long before the Internet it was suggested crimping bottle neck cases was a bad habit. Dillon told me I was going to have to replace all of my dies because my dies crimp and seat at the same time. They changed their mind when I told them I did not need their press because I was not starting over with new dies. It was at about that point they gave me an exception, they said I could use my dies and they qualified the answer with “they had a lot of reloaders that used dies that were not Dillon.

Then it goes beyond being a bad habit when reloaders choose to crimp jacketed bullets. Somewhere it has been written it is a bad habit to crimp jacketed bullets without a crimp groove, I have a tool that rolls grooves into bullets, if the bullet does not have a groove I can add one, if I have a bullet that has a groove but is not where I want it, I can add one.

One of my best crimp jobs is done with a carbide full length sizing die. I use the carbide sizing die to remove the ''case swallowed a bullet look". I have 2 45ACPs that like new/over the counter ammo.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; July 12, 2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add quote
Old July 12, 2016, 02:27 PM   #81
briandg

I'm not arguing with you and your choices mAke sense. You have a number of processes that apply to numerous situations.

When I started buying Sierra bullets they were the only line that didn't have cannelures, and that was weird. Some brands even put multiple cannelures on so different cartridges could be altered a bit.

My only point was that there is a good solution for everything, maybe more, but there's no universal solution, and there's nothing wrong with finding your own so l union like swaging your own grooves. I don't think I've seen one of those things in a long time. I think that Sinclair made one.