The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2001, 12:39 PM   #1
salukijoe

I have not tried either for .357 loads but I would like to experiment. Anyone out there care to provide comments who have tried one or both?
Old June 5, 2001, 02:11 PM   #2
Hutch

Limited experience

I tried UClays, with plans to replace Unique in my inventory. My only trials were with .45ACP 1911's and Glock 21's. Velocity was much less than claimed. I called the manufacturer's help line, and was told to be happy with my results, that my ancient Unique load (right out of my first reloading manuals) was dangerously over maximum, and that I should take up another hobby. I have since decided to use AA #5, instead.
Old June 5, 2001, 11:28 PM   #3
Cheapo

Limited experience with U-Clays, but I like it enough to continue load development experiments.

BUT if anyone has actual shooting results showing 1400+ FPS in .357 Mag with 125-gr JHPs in a six-inch barrel using the new cleaner burning Unique, I'll just go that direction...if the flash stays low.
Old June 6, 2001, 08:16 PM   #4
MAKilgo

I have used Unique and Universal Clays in my .357 for mid-range loads. Both seem to work pretty good between 900 and 1000 fps behind 158 gr lead semi-wadcutters. Unique gave me slightly better accuracy, but the Univeral Clays was cleaner. I have not tried the new Unique. I hear it is cleaner than it used to be. They are both good all around powders that can be loaded hotter, but for hot loads I still prefer H110. It is designed to get maximum velocity out of magnum handgun loads.
One of the advantages of Unique, and probably the secret to its accuracy is its bulk. Unique is one of the bulkiest powders on the market. Even mid-range loads will fill the case over half way. This makes double charging less likely, and the powder will not shift around to the front or the back of the case. This helps keep shot to shot velocities more consistent.
Universal Clays is also on the bulky side and as the name implies I use it for everything from my 9mm Makarov, my .45ACP, ,45 Colt, and even my 12 gauge shotgun.

Good luck and good shooting,

Mark
Old June 10, 2001, 09:49 AM   #5
solo

I have not had any experience with Unique but I have been reloading my .45 with Universal Clays. UC is very clean. It seems to be cleaner than the AA#5 that I previously used.
Old June 11, 2001, 11:15 AM   #6
hearthethunder

I've only used the new Unique for 38spl & 357 mag from a 6" GP100 stainless. After a couple hundred rounds things are kind of messy, but that's part of the game. Yaa, hands are black..makes me wonder what the old stuff was like.

Accuracy is best for me with the 357 mag in the max areas around 7g or so. I'm shooting 158g cast from wheel weights & gas checks & CCI 500's.
Old June 13, 2001, 08:22 AM   #7
Poodleshooter

Has the new formula Unique come out yet? I know they cleaned up the "dot" series for the shotgunners, but I heard that Unique's cleaner burner wasn't coming out till summer? Anybody have any that is clearly marked as the new and improved stuff??? I used 1# of old unique years ago and swore off it, as I couldn't safely crimp enough to get a clean burn. It was almost literally as dirty as BP (though not corrosive).
Old June 13, 2001, 08:27 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

FACT = Virtually equivalent ballistically to each other; UC meters WAY better; accuracy (normally VERY close) will depend on your specific gun/load combo.
Old June 13, 2001, 10:38 PM   #9
MACMAN10

UNIQUE!!