The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2017, 03:29 PM   #1
dontcatchmany

Sig P938 Problem

I purchased a Sig Sauer P938 in July 2013.

After initial problems with myself not putting the 6 round magazines in solidly the pistol became my favorite. Especially when I got three 7 round magazines.

After breaking it in very well and getting accustomed to cocked and locked it became my daily pocket carry.

Over the time I have had it I have put approximately 2000 rounds through it.

A few weeks ago, since I had not shot it in about three months, I did some practice.

It started dropping magazines with 6 round mags and 7 round mags. It also started going from fire to safe.

I could not get through a whole magazine with a failure of some type as described.

I disassembled for cleaning and the right side safety came off and while inspecting it, the safety spring came out. Finally got that fixed? and cleaned it and back to my back yard range. I thought that three ish months not firing or cleaning might be a problem.

I am left handed and I tried right handed. I tried all that I knew to prove me as the culprit, but nadda, the gun had problems.

I sent it to Sig a couple of weeks ago and got it back today. Good turn around!

Went out to my back yard range and ran it through its paces. It appears that the mag dropping issue is fixed, but the safety still went from fire to safe. Shooting through three 7 round mags and three six round mags, I had the safety go to safe 4 times. I plan to do some more testing tomorrow

At about the time that I started having problems with the Sig, I purchased a Shield 40 and also got a 9mm barrel and magazine (TR-Enabling).

Now I do not quite know what to do. I like the Shield and it is now my daily carry. It is actually more comfortable in the pocket than was the Sig p938. The Sig is an exceptional shooter even with me behind it and I am getting better with the shield (and it has no safety).

I am leaning toward selling the Sig....relatively cheap (all mags included). I do not, any longer, have confidence in the Sig for concealed carry and so far I am quite happy with the Shield in 40 or with the 9mm barrel but will continue to shoot it. Also have a G27 that I can and have pocket carry.

Mostly I am just rambling and thinking with a keyboard....lol. I have eleven other pistols/revolvers and never had a problem with any of them and am now shooting them all more that I have built a range in my back yard.
Old August 22, 2017, 04:14 PM   #2
RickB

I bought a P938 in February, and have something over 1200 rounds through it.
I'm also a lefty, and have definitely never had the (stiff to operate) safety engage itself.
The detent is very strong; are you sure that you have both the spring and the ball or "plunger" in place?

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, in that my gun had run all but perfectly for 1000+ rounds, but I then had a couple of unexplained failures to fire, and a failure to extract, in a 100-round span. I subsequently fired 100 rounds without issue, but I really dislike the mystery.

It could be that it's a "100 round gun", needing maintenance between (short . . .) range sessions, which really isn't unreasonable in a pocket pistol, and if that's the case it's no big deal, but, again, I don't like that it failed three times, in two different ways, in such a short span.

I'd already decided against the PPS, XDS, and Shield, so won't be going striker-fired plastic, regardless.

Last edited by RickB; August 23, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old August 22, 2017, 05:05 PM   #3
dontcatchmany

Since I just got the P938 back from Sig today and their documentation does indicate they worked on the safety I believe that every thing was put back together properly. Heck, I can hardly move the safety either way with my arthritic hands. Tried that several times.

I used to be a hammer fired bigot...lol. but I got a Glock 27 on a lark and now I like it.....thus purchasing the Shield. And I am getting accustomed to striker fired pistols.

I really have no need for the P938 any more. And, the cocked and locked always had problems with lint/whatever getting in from of the hammer.
Old August 23, 2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivertrail

strange. I had a magazine issue with mine and I've read alot that its a fairly common issue. Sent mine into Sig as well and got it back in a couple of weeks. Very impressive customer service as they changes other springs and ever some screws. Mine now works flawlessly after probably 200 rounds. I'd say send yours back in but you probably dont want to mess with that...or I wouldn't.