The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2017, 12:44 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Desert Eagle Issue

So I got out my .44 Mag/.50 AE (I have both barrels) Desert Eagle today and gave it a quick cleaning, I haven't had it out in a while and I like to keep my firearms well cleaned and lubed.

After giving it a quick sprucing up I cycled it a few times and noticed that sometimes after inserting the magazine and pressing down on the slide release the slide would go back into battery with the hammer down!? It's never done that before. It almost seems like the shock of the slide hitting home causes the hammer to fall. But as far as I can tell it never actually falls all the way, it seems to stop about 1/8 of an inch from actually striking the firing pin, almost like the half-cock position on a single action revolver.

Any ideas? I've had this gun for the better part of a decade and have thousands of rounds through it with no issues but this seems like a major safety concern. Glad I caught it when I did.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:33 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

You disassemble it? Sounds like the sear isn't installed correctly. Take the thing apart and reassemble. Very much a WHAG though.
This might help.
http://stevespages.com/ipb-deserteagle-deserteagle.html
Old August 13, 2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Jim Watson

We are often advised to not drop a 1911's slide on an empty chamber for fear of the hammer following or even damaging a light target trigger's engagements.

I don't know if the DE is laid out to where the same thing applies, but it sounds like that is what you have.

I would shoot it the next opportunity with only one live round in the gun, a dummy cartrodge in the magazine. Fire the shot and see if the hammer has held full cock.
Then try with two rounds.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:59 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Slide closes (slams shut) on empty chamber, hammer "follows" slide (jarred off full cock) caught by safety notch (or whatever DE calls it).

This is a MALFUNCTION!!!!

Get thee to an authorized repair station!!! (which might mean shipping the gun back to DE-Magnum Research CALL THEM and see)

This malfunction might not show up when shooting, the slightly slower slide speed caused by loading a round MIGHT be just enough to keep the hammer from being jarred off full cock, thus concealing the problem.

However, that happy condition of the gun working ok, despite the problem is NOT GUARANTEED TO LAST, And, if you have the hammer jarred off full cock while you are still pulling the trigger, it COULD result in FULL AUTO FIRE!!

OR it might result in an out of battery detonation (firing before the gun is locked shut). Neither of these is something you want to risk happening!!!

If the malfunction is due to something you did, own up to it, pay to get it fixed (and if its your fault, the maker WILL charge you), and don't do it again!!

If its not your fault, the warranty should cover it.

DON'T FIRE THE GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALL Magnum Research, describe the problem, and follow their advice, Please keep us informed, about how things go.

I've had 3 Desert Eagles, currently have one ,44 bought new in 1990, and never had this issue with any of them. So I am curious, what happens with yours, and how it gets resolved, in case mine decides to do the same thing, someday...

Good Luck, and keep us in the loop, please!

edited to add..
Quote:
I would shoot it the next opportunity with only one live round in the gun, a dummy cartrodge in the magazine. Fire the shot and see if the hammer has held full cock.
Then try with two rounds.
This will tell you if the hammer is holding when firing live rounds, today. It will NOT tell you when/if the hammer will stop holding when firing live rounds.

I think the best thing to do is send it back to the maker, and let them do the testing, and repair work. Then, when it comes back, follow the advice of only loading one round, firing, then two, firing, etc, until you get to a full magazine, to ensure that it was fixed correctly.

Good Luck!
Old August 13, 2017, 08:54 PM   #5
'88Scrat

I plan on calling Magnum Research tomorrow morning. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old August 27, 2017, 09:22 PM   #6
'88Scrat

Just and update for those who are interested.

I sent it back to Magnum Research and they replaced the sear spring, extractor spring, and ejector spring. They also trued the slide catch on the slide. Test fired with both barrels (I have the .44 Mag and .50 AE) with no issues.

I ended up paying more to ship it to them than I did for the work. The gunsmith who worked on it called me and said it was one of the cleanest most well taken care of examples he had ever seen, so despite not being under warrenty did not charge me for parts or labor. I paid a total of $80 shipping roundtrip and that was all.

The comment he made about how it looked reinforced my belief in keeping my firearms well maintained. This whole thing started because I had not shot my Desert Eagle in a year or so and wanted to give it a quick cleaning/lube.

A word on the customer service: It was OUTSTANDING! Seriously some of the best service I've gotten anywhere not just with firearms dealers/manufacturers.

I got the pistol back on Friday but left for a float trip an hour later so I didn't have time to post the results.

All is good again.
Old August 28, 2017, 07:49 AM   #7
libiglou

good to hear. I havent shot mine in a while. Range trip is coming