The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2001, 08:19 PM   #1
JAFO001

My brother is on a very limited budget and is looking at those Russian guns. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks.
Old January 12, 2001, 09:28 PM   #2
PWK

The Baikal EAA IZH27EM is listed at $419.00 and was reviewed in the April 2000 "American Rifleman". Generally as I recall they said it was a good firearm for the money and if you didn't plan on putting 1000's of rounds through it a year it would probably give you good service. They have walnut stocks and have a fairly good fit & finish. If you want more details let me know and I will dig up the article.
Old January 12, 2001, 09:54 PM   #3
PJR

Do a search on the world baikal for some current posts on the subject. They seem to have some fans and they seem to be the lowest price if you want an over/under.
Old January 14, 2001, 07:31 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Haven't had a chance to check out their O/us, but I did look at one of their SXSs yesterday. This was a short bbled job for the HD and CAS market. It seemed well put together and capable of good work. Longevity and durability are the big questions with any double gun, and I cannot forecast how well they'll hold up, but the design seems solid...
Old January 15, 2001, 09:30 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Russkie O/U

The local shop has a couple of these guns. the 20 GA I looked at appears to be solid but crude compared to a Browning or Beretta.

If you want a gun for hunting or the occasional clays shoot they would be OK, but they will never last for serious clays shooting. The action was not finished as nicely as the B & B guns, parts were not polished where they should be, like the ejectors and action face. Cleaning the guns will be a chore, but they would probably improve with use as they wear in. The wood wasn't that bad, but not up to Brownings standards, but it did fit better than Rugers wood. The action was stiff and will need some breaking in. The 20 ga would make a good knockabout gun for bird hunting, one that you would not fret over if it got dings or scratches or a little rust.

I am toying with buying a 410 gun just for plinking. The 28 would make a great gun for introducing youngsters and women to shooting (if the damn ammo wasn't so expensive).

My $.02

Geoff Ross