The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2012, 02:52 AM   #1
jedi391

Sig 1911, so far the best production 1911 I've owned.

I recently picked up a Sig 1911 Nitron Rail with nightsights. So far This gun has been outstanding. The fit/finish is by far the best I've seen on a production 1911. The slide to frame fit is smooth with no detectable play. The barrel/bushing/slide lock up is outstanding and I dig the Nitron finish. I personally feel it is the best black finish available on a production gun. The trigger is also very good, with a nice crisp break and a pull of probably around 4.5-5lbs. It's a very good looking gun. I took it up and qaulified with it today. Shot only a minimal ammount of rounds since another class let us in for a quick qual but it was smooth shooting with 100% functionality and the rounds were going right where they were supposed to.

Out of the production 1911's I have owned I would rank them as follows:
1) Sig 1911
2) S&W 1911 (also very good)
3) Springfield 1911
4) Kimber Custom II

The Sig may not be up to the quality of my Wilson CQB, but it also cost $900 while the Wilson cost...well....allot more. IS the price difference worth it? Emotionally I say yes but logically I say absolutely not. Also in terms of putting rounds on target and functionality the Wilson really doesnt do anything better then the Sig, its more when you hold it and play with it that you see the difference.

In short I am very pleased with this purchase, I feel like I got a steal for what I got compared to what I paid. I havent felt this good about a purchase of a firearm ever.

Now to wait on delivery of my Safariland 6360 and my two custom IWB and OWB off duty holsters. I also want to point out that even with the Sig slide profile, holster selection was pretty wide for me.

If you havent checked out the Sig 1911 line, do yourself a favor and spend some time with one.
Old December 13, 2012, 04:48 AM   #2
shuler13

Congrats. I have a the XO and agree they are fine 1911s that are hard to beat for the price. It's hard to choose between that and my STI Spartan when it comes to choosing a favorite.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:11 AM   #3
geetarman

I have the one with the rail. I was looking for a steel frame 1911 and the LGS had just gotten one in. I bought it on the spot.

I have never had a failure with that gun.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 13, 2012, 06:26 AM   #4
MonsterB

Good to hear another positive Sig review. I keep reading about issues but my own, and several others experience suggests Sig is currently making very good guns.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Technosavant

My experience with 1911s mirrors yours. I've not owned a Kimber, but I have the other three, and I'd probably rank them out of the box as you did- Sig first, then S&W, then Springfield (the Springer feels like a better gun than the Smith, but the Smith has had fewer troubles).

For the past year I've been saying that the Sig 1911s are about the best 1911s in the $800-1200 range and I've seen nothing to change my mind. I've owned a Taurus and fiddled with my father's Rock Island Armory, and I'd even go so far to say that while the Sig cost more than those two, the extra money is more than justified in terms of quality.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Robk

Sig had many problems with their first 1911s. However that was years ago and I believe that the new 1911s they put out are of high quality. Bought a Tac PAk a while back, excellent fit and finish. I was very surprised at the fitment of this pistol. Very clean. Now consider that I was looking at a Dan Wesson at the time, just couldn't justify the extra cost at the time. I did not feel regret at not getting the DW once I examined the Sig carefully. It is a great pistol at this price point. I would have to agree that it best anything within it price range. Great shooter also, no issues at all.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:36 AM   #7
geetarman

Robk,

The Sig TacPac was my first 1911 after many years of not shooting them at all.

I was also really pleased with the overall fit and finish. My gun has never had a stoppage.

A couple of weeks later, the LGS had a Smith and Wesson 1911E. I bought that gun and have been very pleased also.

I was on the waiting list for a Ruger SR1911 and lo and behold, they called and told me one had become available and the folks ahead of me on the list did not want it or did not have the money. . .so I bought that one too.

I shot that one a bit but I ended up giving it to a really good friend on his birthday.

Then came a Dan Wesson PM9. I had been waiting a year and a half for the CZ custom shop to get one in. They got ten in and sold them the first day. I got the fifth one sold that day.

Now. . .I spied a Dan Wesson Valor in the case and asked to see it. Long story short, it followed me out the door. The one I have has the black duty coat. It seems a little more robust than what is used on the Sigs.

Both guns are fantastic shooters and the trigger on the Sig is right up there with the DW. The overall fit and finish on the DW is better IMO.

They also cost quite a bunch more. I have about $900 in the Sig and $1450 in the PM9 and close to $1800 in the Valor.

The Valor is not twice as good as the Sig. It is very good.

Guns are a LOT like guitars. . .sometimes you pay a LOT more to get a little better fit and finish and sound.

There really is a difference between an Alvarez Yairi CY140 and a Kohno Professional model. You can hear it and you can feel it. Same with a $2000 Martin HD28 and a $5200 McPherson MG05XP.

Trust me, I have spent the bucks to find out.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 13, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Whoa...Hold the phone.

This thread is exactly in my element. Ready?

My SIG 1911 XO is by car the best 1911 I've ever owned also.

Look at my signature. Yes..Better than those. Haven't shot the Gold Cup that much. But it's strictly a range gun. That's why. It doesn't feed hollow points.

My SIG 1911 XO has eaten everything I've given it. Completely flawless. Accurate. Durable. And is currently my main CCW.

A very knowledgeable gunsmith wanted to check out my SIG 1911 and he said he was bored and wanted to go a trigger job. Free of charge, he's my friend, close to family. He grabbed a snap cap after I handed him my SIG 1911 with the slide back and magazine out. Loaded it in...And dry fired..He said, ah..You should have told me you already had a trigger job on this thing..
Nope...Sorry brother, from the factory. I've only added 10-8 performance 5pli grips. He was surprised. Said, don't mess with it anymore.

I'm so accurate with that gun, didn't even need a break in period at all. No one malfunction. I've always anticipated a malfunction or two in the "break in" of 1911's. This one laughed at the though of a "break in period". Completely flawless and well machined. I agree with the OP and Geeterman. AMAZING GUN!

The external extractor is fantastic.

I get a little sore when someone says it's "not a real 1911" It's going to happen in this thread. Just brace yourself for it -__-

lol, anyways amazing gun. I'm extremely happy with it and it's accuracy.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
geetarman

Quote:
I get a little sore when someone says it's "not a real 1911" It's going to happen in this thread. Just brace yourself for it -__-
Somehow my friend, and I am just spitballing here, I suspect you don't really get sore.

The Sig is real and it works. Used to be REAL classical guitars came out of Spain and REAL steel string guitars were only made in Nazareth, Pa.

Things really do change. . .

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 13, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Somehow my friend, and I am just spitballing here, I suspect you don't really get sore.

lol You're right..I don't really get "sore" I usually have a mix between this face and this face when someone says that. Good call geetarman...good call.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:09 PM   #11
nate45

I acquired my SigArms Revolution STX almost six years ago. I wanted something different after years of shooting a string of customized Colts. There wasn't a lot of info out on them, only one or two threads on the 1911 forum. Even though I wasn't enamored with the square slide, I took a chance, seeing as how it was a good deal and I could always get my money back.

I've only owned this one Sig 1911, so its the only one I've personally had experience with. If you get a lemon, don't blame me. All I can do, is accurately report my experience with one example.

Six years, thousands of rounds, zero malfunctions. Handloads, HP, FMJ, questionable old magazines, clean, dirty it hasn't quit yet. The only thing I've ever done to it was clean and lightly grease it. Well, with the exception of new grips, which don't affect reliability.

Quality and feel wise, it compares very favorably with, for example, Springfield Armory's TRP. The fit and checkering are superb.

So what started out for me as a new toy/trade piece, turned into one of the best built, least malfunctioning, most accurate 1911 type handguns I've ever owned.

Old December 13, 2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355419742.034683.jpg

Nice write up Nate. Here's mine. 10-8 performance 5pli grips. "Dirty Olive". Love this gun!
Old December 14, 2012, 01:48 AM   #13
PITT5150

My next 1911 will be the Sig Traditional Reverse Two-Tone.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:35 AM   #14
jedi391

I really like the look of the reverse two tone traditional as well but what I would love to see is a traditional slide model with no front cocking serrations that's all nitron. Basically a traditional slide XO. I'd buy one in a heart beat.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:28 AM   #15
geetarman

Jedi,

Like this one?

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...11-nitron.aspx

Or this one.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...-xo-black.aspx

Nitron? Check
No Rail? Check
You coming after one? Check?

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 14, 2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Rolngthun

So many times we only see the posts from people who have problems with a product. So it is nice to see the other side as well.

I have a Sig C-3. I went into the store sure I was coming out with a Kimber I had been looking at for a week. After holding both for an hour, I ended up walking out with the Sig.
It has been perfect for 1500 rounds so far. Including reloads. After about 600 rounds it got even better. The trigger is very crisp and clean at 3 lbs 4 oz.
I am not saying it is the best, or everyone should go out and buy a Sig. Just stating that I am very happy with the one I have.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:54 AM   #17
geetarman

Quote:
So many times we only see the posts from people who have problems with a product. So it is nice to see the other side as well.
My first Sig was a P229 Elite 9mm. That was followed by 5 more. The last one was the 1911 Tac Pac.

The ones I shoot most often are the P229 9mm, P226 .40, P220 .45 and the 1911.

The only problem I ever had was with the P220. It showed signs of unusual barrel wear marks and it was corrected by Sig.

I had a slight issue with the P226 slinging brass straight back and the LGS gunsmith reshaped the ejector and fixed it.

They are good guns. I put CT sights on the P229 and the P220 and dialed them in at 30 ft.

The hole shows up where the red dot is.

Carpe Cerveza
Old December 14, 2012, 08:10 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

My other SIG that I'm enamored with is my P226 e2. It has over 4,000+ down range and only 3 FTF out of that many rounds. Possible because it was dirty as heck. 1,000 of those rounds I ran in one day. That's where I had the 3 malfunctions.

I did change the "ergonomic grip" because I thought I liked it. And I still do. But I have big hands, much prefer the regular grips. Which I'll get when my Colt 70 Series is back from the mad scientist. For now I just slapped on some hogue grips.

I love SIG.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Nanuk

Quote:
So what started out for me as a new toy/trade piece, turned into one of the best built, least malfunctioning, most accurate 1911 type handguns I've ever owned.
That says a lot coming from you.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:34 PM   #20
X_shooter

I love my Tacops. I was pleasantly surprised at first inspection and the feeling grows stronger every trip to the range. I shall be carrying this soon.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:00 PM   #21
TexAg

Y'all have got me wanting one now...but which? Scorpion, nitron rail, tacops...Grrr.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:29 AM   #22
jason_iowa

Seems like every company has had issues with qc the last few years. I have carried a sig to every continent save Antarctica. I think they make an excellent weapon and one I have trusted my life with in and out of combat. Congrats on the new gun!
Old December 16, 2012, 12:32 AM   #23
Marquezj16

I bought my Sig Tac Pac a little while back. Zero problems and love it. I mostly smile at anyone that says it's not a true 1911 or it's not a Colt.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:32 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquezj16 View Post
I bought my Sig Tac Pac a little while back. Zero problems and love it. I mostly smile at anyone that says it's not a true 1911 or it's not a Colt.
I whip out my colt gold cup and hollow points and say "here, try this".
Old December 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Marquezj16

Quote:
I whip out my colt gold cup and hollow points and say "here, try this".
Off the subject - you got it running? What was the problem with it?