The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about Taurus?
Like, through experience? 65 41.40%
Dislike, through experience? 64 40.76%
Like, from info from the outside? 3 1.91%
Dislike, from info from the outside? 11 7.01%
Like, from what you read on the Internet? 2 1.27%
Dislike, from what you read on the Internet? 17 10.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 15, 2012, 06:56 AM   #101
10-96

A guy I grew up with has a PT92 that has been running like a top since it came on the market, and I've owned a couple revolvers that functioned well enough I guess. One in particular, a 5-shot revolver in 9mm never did come close to grouping as well as the .357 or several .38's I had. But, for whatever reason, I never had a revolver from them that had what would be called a show-stopping or catastrophic failure. I did have for a short time a Millenium 9mm that had a way oversized firing pin hole in the breechface (bought new). I seem to recall trading that to a GS friend for some tools or such. Now, there's been two separate Millenium compact .45's that's been getting traded around my dept (for whatever reason) and the magazine release is out of whack. The clips keep falling out. One of them has had the mag release replaced, and it still won't hold the clip high enough to chamber a round unless upward pressure is applied to the clip's base plate.

A retired friend asked me to detail clean a small tip-barrel .22 Tauri he picked up from who-knows-where. It had seriously been abused and hamered on and had a crack in the upper left side of the frame in the mag well, and a small crack with missing metal in the lower left side of the mag well/grip area. I don't know the story of that particular pistol before it was beat to death, but I did direct my friend to a source of a new purchase. He chose a Kel-tec the second go around.

I figure, my experiences are just a drop in the bucket for both pro's and con's of the brand name. Funny thing is- I don't really bash them. When someone asks my opinion of them- I give it as I see it. In that sense, I tell them that it's my experience that there are much better options available, but I also try to understand where they stand financially. If they have nothing at all for defense, and can't afford anything else that's available locally- I certainly don't recommend they remain defenseless. I also realize not all folks spend as much reange time as they probably should. I guess it's my hope that their Taurus will work for them when they need it. But either way, who am I to do anything other than offer words of experience and suggestions? After all, I still have friends who buy High Points and old worn out Llama's.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:07 AM   #102
Fusion

I've never owned a Taurus and highly doubt I ever will. However, I've got several friends that do and I've shot some of them. The ones that shoot well, I love. They have a good feel to them, decent triggers, good prices, etc. They just feel great and it seems like the majority of them do work fairly well. However, in the case of getting a bad one, don't expect to get it fixed. Their customer service is horrible and this is what keeps me from buying one. If a company can't stand behind their product in the case of a problem, I'm not willing to support them. Especially when there are numerous other companies out there such as Ruger, S&W, etc that have a product that is just as good if not better, and they do offer extremely good customer service and stand behind their product.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:11 AM   #103
Southern Shooter

Perhaps I Am Lucky?

My experience is only with their revolvers. But, so far, with the 5 that I own including models 905, 605, 85, 82, no problems have been experienced. Would I classify them as the "finest" revolvers that I have handled...No. But, they have been "dependable working guns". And, that, I can be happy with.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old October 16, 2012, 10:07 AM   #104
rickyrick

I own a Taurus for five years and it has been good, but seems like its luck of the draw with Internet postings however. My only complaint is the lack of made for Taurus holsters, I do have a nice rig for it now but it took a awhile.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:25 AM   #105
TheGunGuy

Yes I do. I had a 24/7 G2... Well Taurus had it more than I did. A complete pile of dung.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old October 16, 2012, 11:40 AM   #106
KMAX

Internet postings.

If I based my purchases on TFL postings I would not buy Taurus. I would also not buy Glock, Springfield, S&W, Ruger, Remington, Kahr, Kimber, Colt, or anything else but maybe Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or Browning and I would be cautious about any of those three. However, I talk to real owners that I know and I have only found one live person who said he had problems with Taurus. I never saw the gun and he wasn't specific about his problem with the gun he had. I have never had any functional problems with any of the five I have owned. I probably won't buy anymore due to the low resale value they hold unless I find one I feel certain is a keeper at a good price.

No, I don't bash Taurus.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #107
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasier View Post
I don't bash Taurus, I just relate my bad experience with them and will never own another. Perhaps they should make them out of steel, instead of graham crackers.
L-O-L
Old October 16, 2012, 12:54 PM   #108
m.p.driver

Cant really say i bash them,owned one and won't own another.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:58 PM   #109
stantheman1976

The plain fact is that I've seen more negative comments about Taurus than I've seen good. My only experience has been negative. I bought a TCP 380 and ended up getting rid of it because it was not reliable and not accurate.

Personally I wouldn't purchase one unless I had bought every other gun on my wish list and literally had money to blow. Then I would consider one as a range only gun. For self defense I would not trust anything with the name Taurus on it.

That's just my $.02 worth.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:53 AM   #110
DMZX

I have 4 small frame Taurus revolvers. The two M94's got returned for warranty work. The other two (M605 and M17) have been fine. Fit and finish is a bit rough, and the double action triggers are all heavy. All four are very accurate.

I do not bash Taurus. I know what I am getting when I buy. I find them to be good utility guns which have a niche in my collection.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:01 PM   #111
Redhawk5.5+P+

Visiting my old OP

Looks like Taurus owners have about a 51/49 to likes to dislikes. At least who responded on this board.

Overall results are not in Taurus's favor.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:20 PM   #112
lee n. field

Quote:
Do you bash Taurus? And for why?
I don't bash Taurus.

I tell the truth. One bad customer service experience. One perfectly functional Taurus snub I have no intention of getting rid of.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 7, 2012, 08:56 PM   #113
4runnerman

As a RSo at the local indoor range-I see less issues with Taurus than with any other brand name-
Old December 7, 2012, 09:13 PM   #114
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
As a RSo at the local indoor range-I see less issues with Taurus than with any other brand name-
What's the ratio of Taurus semi's to revolver's? I'm sure it's more semi's by a large margin.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:25 PM   #115
egor20

Can't bash Taurus, never owned one, same reason I don't bash Glock.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 7, 2012, 09:37 PM   #116
MLeake

4runnerman, more importantly, what is the ratio of Tauri to other brands being shot at your range?

Most of the guys I know who shoot a lot, do not shoot Tauri.

Among the IDPA set, Glock, M&P, and 1911s are easily the top 3 I see. In the two clubs I have joined, I have not seen a Taurus.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:15 PM   #117
4runnerman

Redhawk- Very few revolvers for sure, I think they are just a gonna work kinda thing.

Mleake- Taurus is a very common pistol around here. There price makes them a weekend plinkers buy. I could not put a percent on it with any amount of accuracy. I will have to start watching and see what it comes out to. Smithys and Rugers are very hot. As a RSO we are taught,not to ,So to say pester people. We watch and observe and only interfear when needed. Conversations do start all the time, But there are 2 rules that are never ever overlooked. One being firearms are always in a case or pointed down range, # 2- The 2 doors you go through to get to the range- Ear muffs will be on upon entry to first door. SO conversations are very limited. But you do bring up a valid point on percentages of Taurus compared to others.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:17 PM   #118
12GaugeShuggoth

Since this one is still open, I'll add.

I don't bash them, or talk bad about them......because my only experiences with them have been positive. Two revolvers and two semi's, zero problems.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old December 11, 2012, 11:10 PM   #119
FireForged

I find this funny.... After buying a new taurus 85 ( circa 2000) and firing about 300 rounds without any problem, the gun has resided in my truck 24/7. Well, the other day I took it out to clean and noticed that the hammer would bind when cocking and again when letting it down. I was like, what the heck? I have been sitting here for about a week trying to decide to fix it or simply consider it a loss. I think I will buy a ruger sp101 and call it a day.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:11 AM   #120
alex0535

I have a Taurus Tracker in .17 HMR. Have had no problems with it.

Replaced the grips and put a red dot on it. Did not like the ribber grips.

Can't really say anything bad about them, from what I understand their customer service and warranty are pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121031_030948.jpg (224.1 KB, 10 views)
Old December 12, 2012, 07:21 AM   #121
bird_dog

Fresh opinion here. As a baseline, I own or have owned: Kimber, S&W, Ruger, Colt, Bersa and Taurus handguns.

My hunting handguns are a Taurus M44 in .44mag and a Ruger Super Redhawk. The Taurus has been with me for 9 years, killed 5 deer and a fox, has many thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup (hot to mild and everywhere in between). I've used it in pouring rain, heavy snow, ice, and once dropped it in the mud when I tripped dragging a deer and it popped out of my holster. It's dead-on accurate with a red-dot scope and has been shot and abused as much as any gun I own. Never a single problem, and the finish (blued) is as nice as the day I bought it.

I also own a Taurus 651B snubby (5-shot .357). It also has many thousands of magnum loads through it, and I trust it as one of my carry guns without giving it a second thought. Much holster time and, like my M44, no wear whatsoever on the finish. Properly cleaned, you wouldn't know it from a brand new revolver. It's about 6 years old.

Again, I own all of the big brands and all of the American brands, but I don't ever feel like I'm cheaping out buying a Taurus.

Today, I got an end-of-year bonus at work and am going to pick up a trail gun to replace the 629 I sold a couple of years ago. I'm going with the Taurus Tracker in .44mag.

That's my GOOD luck with Taurus in a nutshell.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:52 AM   #122
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireforged
I find this funny.... After buying a new taurus 85 ( circa 2000) and firing about 300 rounds without any problem, the gun has resided in my truck 24/7. Well, the other day I took it out to clean and noticed that the hammer would bind when cocking and again when letting it down. I was like, what the heck? I have been sitting here for about a week trying to decide to fix it or simply consider it a loss. I think I will buy a ruger sp101 and call it a day.
While I am no proponent of Taurus, I think you need to clean the gun out. If a revolver worked great, then sat for an extended period of time and now has issues, its probably not broken. Good chance its just the old oil crudded up with dust bunnies inside.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:01 AM   #123
johnwilliamson062

I don't have experience, but 50% of the people here with experience have bad experience. What does that tell you? Several gun stores have told me their return rates are way above other brands.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:28 PM   #124
BGutzman

My reply on this is in several threads in this forum... The bottom line was I did own Taurus (3 of them), all of the bought brand spanking new... Two were unreliable, one of these two required pulling the trigger to the right in order to have a chance to fire.... On CCW weapons this is a dismal failure...

The third Taurus was a 1911... and like many brands of 1911 it would not fire everything you fed it, it was rather picky... All three of the Taurus did not live up to hopes and expectations... Its not bashing, its just a fact...

I will Never buy a Taurus again unless its well proven and offered to me by someone I trust to be honest...
Old December 15, 2012, 11:40 AM   #125
rellik74

So I have a Model 85UL ss I bought in 2008. After undreds of rounds down range I bent the center pin on the cylinder. They returned it to me repaired in 10 days including ups travel time. My hats off to Taurus