The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 30, 2010, 01:46 AM   #1
BruceM

If anybody has this Info-Weaver bases

If anybody has an old Weaver catalog, I need the model numbers for the old tip-off bases for a Marlin 336. I have a new set of tip-off rings and bases for a BAR but would really like to use the rings on the Marlin.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; August 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:18 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Old School

Weaver hasn't made tip-off s in many many years . However , if you should stumble onto a base , I have the rings for it ! I also have a few complete ones , but not for the marlin . The tip offs fell out of favor because the rings would come loose if you pivoted it very many times . However I have found that if you put the Blue Lok-Tite to the threds and screw them down to where they start to bind , then back up just a touch to free . They will stay put for a long time no matter how much you play with them ( still not a good idea ) . I like them and have them on my Rem. pump rifles !
Old August 30, 2010, 11:28 AM   #3
BruceM

I've had a set on a Winchester Model 70 which I bought in 1970. They still haven't loosed up and they still hold zero. I realize that they haven't been manufacture in some time but you can't get even a used set if you don't know the model numbers.

Bruce
Old August 30, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
PetahW

In 1967, I was sorta forced into the decision that, if I didn't want to shoot through the scope, I'd rather have the scope OFF the rifle ILO pivoted to the side.

This, because I had shot my then-new .444 with it's scope pivoted off to the left while I started zeroing the open sights.

At the 1st shot, the scope clipped the left side of my left eye/forehead, which was further forward than my shooting eye, gashing it & drawing blood.

So, please forgive me if I'm mistaken some 40-odd years later, but IIRC, the Weaver Pivot Base was a No. 163A.

Enjoy.

Old August 30, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Bailey Boat

TODAY is your lucky day, tell ya what I'm gonna do, I just happen to have a new, never mounted Weaver 163A base AND a new, never mounted set of Weaver, high rings that I'll let you have.... Make me an offer I can't refuse and I'll get them headed your way.... PM me if it's easier......
Old December 26, 2011, 09:22 PM   #6
tmar04

weaver pivot base and rings

did you sell these? I;m looking. tks.
Old December 26, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I found two complete ones in my Weaver box ! When you need to know pivot mount model numbers , look up the top mount bases for that model gun and add a 1 to the front of the number and you have the pivot mount base number !

Last edited by oneoldsap; December 27, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: A Bit of Info