The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 20, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
RobertoJ

.44 cal 1977 Navy Colt, barrel marked COM

Hi there....

I am a pack rat and as such, many years ago, I was given what appears to be a Navy Colt replica, in .44 cal. I stashed it away because I never had an interest in blackpowder.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't look like it has been fired. Is either that or it was cleaned very well before giving it to me.

However, the screw slots are all messed up as in "somebody played a lot with me". I took it apart and the trigger/bolt spring is broken and the cylinder has rotation marks.

I have been able to ascertain that it has the "provisional" Gardone proof and the blackpowder proof for Gardone & Brescia and that it was made in 1977 (it has an "AC" mark).

It has a 7.5 inch octagon blued barrel with a single post (what appears to be brass) front sight (the rear sight is a notch in the hammer), brass frame and what appears to be walnut grips. The brass frame appears to be somewhat roughly finished at the "joints".

As you hold the revolver by the grips, the barrel on the right hand side reads "CAL .44 NAVY MODEL MADE IN ITALY" and in the barrel, underneath the loading lever is marked with the letters "COM".

Does anybody know who manufactured this revolver? I am trying to determine that to know how to order parts.

I do not know if I will get around to fire it but, I would like to restore it to a decent condition.

Can the brass frame be polished to remove imperfections? What should I be watching for in determining if this is a "worthy" piece?

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old February 20, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
mykeal

Unfortunately the .44 cal combined with a brass frame on an 1851 Navy means it's not worth much; it may be rehabbed to be a fine shooter but it won't ever have any material value. It's not a replica of anything that Colt, or anyone else in the Civil War era, ever produced. There are tens of thousands of such guns, many of which have been damaged by overpowering the loads; they are all generally the least expensive (new price) of any cap and ball revolvers.
Old February 20, 2010, 04:59 PM   #3
RobertoJ

thank you!......this is what I call bad news and good news! obviously, the bad news is that it is not worth much but, I suspected as much so, no surprises there......now, let's see if this puppy can be rehabbed and passed on.

Now, if anybody knows who made it and where I can get the parts for it....

Thanks again for your response.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Hawg

bprevolver might know. Drop him a pm.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Robertj

Might also want to call either VTI Gun Parts 860-435-8068 or Dixie Gun Works 800-238-6785 for replacement parts. VTI folks are friendlier but Dixie has an excellent stock.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; February 20, 2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added numbers
Old February 21, 2010, 07:15 PM   #6
arcticap

When it comes to some of the unknown Italian revolver makers, one of the only assumptions that anyone can take for granted is that it was probably produced by a licensed Italian gunsmith or gunsmithing outfit that was registered. The fact that it was sent to the Italian proofhouse means that there's some record somewhere in Italy which we don't have access to. Even if we did, the chances are that we might learn that the raw frame and parts were probably produced by one of the major manufacturers and then the rest of the revolver was assembled & finished by a smaller gunsmithing outfit who contracted to export it. For the most part, many of the parts are interchangable with some hand fitting being necessary in some cases depending on who the original manufacturer was I guess. Some parts may fit right in and others may need a lot of work.

Read the following short thread to understand how difficult it is to determine what the trademark initials on some of the older revolvers actually represents.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...light=database
Old February 21, 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
RobertoJ

Thank you all, that thread was a treasure trove of data!

I have decided to see if I can find the spring and screws and try to restore it to a like new condition and maybe fire it, or maybe save it for the next generation.

Again, thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
sebou

Hello,
RobertoJ : I'm interesting about your searching.
I guess i saw one time this marks (COM) over a Colt 1851 Navy, but long time ago. Could you put there some pics from your revolver, with marking, please. Maybe i could give you some help.
Thanks,
Seb
Old March 3, 2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Sebou

If you are able to put this question (What or who is C.O.M.?) to rest, a lot of folks on this forum will be very happy.

Tnx,
Old March 4, 2010, 09:26 AM   #10
sebou

lol,
yes, sometimes markings over revolver are not the same. As you know, it depending models made, date, serial number, distributor, and the canon made or not by the manufacturer. All marks are important and it's needed to compare with the other manufacturer list i have.

I don't missed all to give some new info about COM.
Seb
Old March 4, 2010, 09:59 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Welcome to the forum Seb.

COM is a mark that has not been tied to a maker as far as I know. The brass frame 51 Navy clones in both .44 and .36 are about the most common and least expensive revolver you can find.

I think you idea of restoring is fine. The brass can be filed and/or sanded, then polished. Re-bluing of the steel is fairly easy and inexpensive. As far as the screw heads, that's a common problem from owners not using the correct hollow ground screwdrivers during disassemble. If they are not chewed up to bad you may be able to dress them with a small file and re-blue. As far as replacement parts I would order for a Pietta model and see if the can be made to fit. Most replacement parts do need some fitting. Things like screws are the same in most cases, springs are close. Problems are hammers with different diameter holes, cylinder length, arbor diameter.

If all you need are screws and a few springs, maybe a new hand I think it well be a fun project. Take photos and keep us posted on your progress.
Old March 4, 2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Doc Hoy

I am going out on a limb.

Sebou,

I lived in Italy for a while and I remember that it was not uncommon to have manufactured commercially available items marked with initials which represent a professional group. Some were quasi governmental, others were best described as guilds.

It seemed to me at the time, (Early 80s) that the groups were formed for much the same reason as the "Grange" was formed in the US. It provided a bit of standardization, created an economy of scale to level prices and costs, and gave the group some power to influence either the government or the market.

I remember ONC which meant "Opera Naccionale de Combattante" which was a military and police veteran's group which got involved in security issues. I also remember COM standing for "Commune" which was a marking used on Wine when sold in bulk. (We bought it in bulk because we drank it in bulk).

Wine that was marked "COM" could not be marked with any other individual vintner's label.

I wonder if COM on our pistols is akin to that kind of marking.
Old March 6, 2010, 04:15 AM   #13
sebou

hi friends,
ok, nice idea to the COM kind of marking, why not...

Doc, i know a little bit Italia, cause my parents are. I went this summer. lol

Well, i have found something about COM. Not really nice for our question about who made the revolver.

Here a pic from a 1851 navy 36 cal COM 1975 (AA):

Here a 1851 cal 44 with Orion Barrel :

Orion made match barrel, i know Orion worked with A.S.M (tingle ), Euroarms (1851 & 1860), and EIE PR (1974) 1851 Navy

if this can help someone to ...

Seb
Old March 6, 2010, 06:11 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Seb

It is more than we knew before.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Doc Hoy

Interesting Topic

This is an interesting topic because I believe the answer could be right in front of us.

To a person who lives in Italy and has even a passing familiarity with the replica arms industry the meaning of this marking could be completely obvious. It would be like "UL" in the United States which is totally obscure to folks outside of the U.S.

I wonder what is the earliest example of the COM marking on a pistol and what is the latest. If those dates correspond with the existence of an importer such as "FIE" we might assume that the group that was contracted to assemble and import for FIE (as an example) did a little business on the side but could not mark the pistols because of legal reasons.

My thoughts are really just a wild guess.

Two questions emerge:

1. What is the span of years over which we have examples of replicas with the COM marking?

2. Does examination of the COM marked pistols reveal any similarities with other manufacturers?
Old March 7, 2010, 12:08 AM   #16
arcticap

Quote:
2. Does examination of the COM marked pistols reveal any similarities with other manufacturers?
A precise measurement of the cylinder length may indicate which major manufacturer's cylinder that it matches.
Then a closer examination of some of the other parts to 1851's from the same major manufacturer and time period might show the origin of the pistol's frame and other raw parts used to build the COM guns.
Similarly taking a look at some of the "independently produced" specialty trucks, kit cars, RV's and even taxi cabs produced here in the U.S. shows that many of their major components were made by the Big 3 American auto manufacturers.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:22 AM   #17
sebou

Hi all
I found a philadelphia pistol with the COM marking.
Here a pic, if that help someone...

Old March 11, 2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

sebou et al.

I have been in contact with a professor who travels to Italy once per year. He has connections in Milan which is not far from Brescia.

He has agreed to do a bit of research through correspondence with the goal of determining what C.O.M. means.

I will report his findings here.

Tnx,
Old March 11, 2010, 04:42 PM   #19
Noz

I thought Pietta was the only company to make the .44 1851s?
Old March 11, 2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Delmar

I don't think so. I have an old shot to heck Uberti in .44 that I'm pretty sure is an 1851.

Old March 11, 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
Fingers McGee

Uberti discontinued the brass frame models in .44 around 1994 IINM

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 12, 2010, 02:39 AM   #22
sebou

Delmar, your Uberti 1851 Round barrel looks fine replicas.
I'm just looking for the marks over the frame, it looks not usuals marks ? or am i wrong. I can't see as well as possible on your pic.

Seb
Old March 13, 2010, 01:59 PM   #23
RobertoJ

Ok here's the revolver I am talking about, see if you can see the COM mark. Sorry, I am not a good photographer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4131.jpg (234.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4143.jpg (190.5 KB, 135 views)
Old March 13, 2010, 03:08 PM   #24
Doc Hoy

Regarding the 1851 in .44 Caliber

I have a Pietta, an FIE and a Euroarms. The Euroarms is a CCH frame. It is a byoot. Pietta is a CCH fraem with the black two piece grips. The FIE is a brass frame. But all are .44.

What is the deal with the round barreled revolver in .44 much like Leech and Rigdon or Griswold and Gunnison. Both of those were built in .36 but not .44. So does the .44 which resembles an 1851 pattern accept for the round barrel have a historical prototype?
Old March 15, 2010, 08:52 AM   #25
sebou

Roberto J, the pics are goods. I can see the COM mark really nice.
At this time, i have not info more about this manufacturer, but i'm still seeking to.

The revolver of Delmar look like an original, such G&G or Manathan, not an Uberti replica prod, but Delmar talk about Uberti, and i guess he know what he says. I'm still trying to look for the mark on the frame, and i can't see Uberti or Italian marks on the pic.

Doc,
I can't believe Colt manufacturing made a protoype of 1851 on cal 44. There is no historic info about that. I think, this period, men were on basic reflexion : .36 to the Navy and .44 to the army. That all !
But nothing is impossible...

Seb